Viparspectra 165 Lighting Question

Valerie1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 20 gallon long tank with coral in it. We purchased a Viparspectra 165 for it. It is about 10in off the top of the water. I feel like the settings aren't quite right.

Does anyone have a suggestion for better settings? I want it to be darker in the mornings, ramp up for the day time hours and ramp back down for evening time before bed.

Thank you in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Start with 10% blue at 8am and add 10% each hour ramping back down at 5p -10p
Start dim whites at 10a and increase until 1pm and slowly ramp it down 10% each hour going off about 9pm

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if viparspectra has a new light but I got mine about 4 months ago and I can’t ramp it. I have my blues at 55% come on at 10am until 10pm. I have my whites at 35% come on at 12pm and turn off at 8pm

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if viparspectra has a new light but I got mine about 4 months ago and I can’t ramp it. I have my blues at 55% come on at 10am until 10pm. I have my whites at 35% come on at 12pm and turn off at 8pm
This

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20 long I would suggest not to go over 60-70% of blues. This LED packs a punch. Check out threads that do PAR measurements on it and other people experience.
Also, they do not ramp. You can have the blue channel start and end at a different time then the whites. I have mine set to start blues 1 hour before whites and end 2 hours after whites at night.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1. I have the Mars Aquas, which as I understand it, are basically the same light (slightly different PAR) and they do not ramp, but I agree with the above settings.

If they do not have an automatic ramp up/down, what you could do is buy a second light, and on separate timers have one kick on, then both, then back to one. A bit cumbersome though.

rayscoralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my viparspectra lights this last Wednesday and set them up same day. I programmed lights following the instructions. Problem I am having is that I am having to turn them on and off manually, timers won't activate! HELP

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 18 inches above the tank . 20% white 70% blue my montipora and birdnest, and all my corals love this setting . I am getting about 350 par at the top of the water. If you want to take pictures turn your blues way down.

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird about the timer. Either a manufacturing issue or your are not setting it right. You will need the remote for setting C1 and C2. Also the clock has to be set when you turn it on the first time.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird about the timer. Either a manufacturing issue or your are not setting it right. You will need the remote for setting C1 and C2. Also the clock has to be set when you turn it on the first time.
You don't need the remote. Just click/push the button/knob on the front of the light in to access the setting. It works with a push..then spin left/right to go to what you want.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back