Viparspectra 165w LED questions

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to more advanced lighting and was thinking of grabbing 3 Viparspectra 165w LEDs for my new 210 gallon tank. I was wondering if 3 seemed to be enough, as it should cover the full tank without any overlap and i have mostly soft corals but am looking to begin a mixed reef. I also have two LED strips currently that i can utilize alongside them. My only other question (which might be insanely dumb, bare with me) is whether or not i can lay them directly over a glass top, and just use them on a lower setting as i know they are typically higher up. Would they be too strong for the glass to handle? I'm only used to weaker lights as of currently. Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dont rest the lights on the glass lid because it has the potential to melt or do damage to the plastic hinge. I have the 300w version over a tank thats 24in tall. It certainly grows any LPS and softies but Im yet to use it on any sps.

OP
OP
Lllrrr232

Lllrrr232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dont rest the lights on the glass lid because it has the potential to melt or do damage to the plastic hinge. I have the 300w version over a tank thats 24in tall. It certainly grows any LPS and softies but Im yet to use it on any sps.
I definitely wouldn't wanna do that! Thanks for letting me know! What do you keep your light set to if you don't mind me asking. Would you recommend I just run them down from the ceiling, around 8 in above the tank? Also, would it be ok to leave the glass top on the tank if i went that route, or should I remove the glass top entirely.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't wanna do that! Thanks for letting me know! What do you keep your light set to if you don't mind me asking. Would you recommend I just run them down from the ceiling, around 8 in above the tank? Also, would it be ok to leave the glass top on the tank if i went that route, or should I remove the glass top entirely.
Just make sure to not have the light body touching the lid. I run my light at 20 percent blue and 0 percent white. I didnt mount mine quite as high, maybe only 4 inches off the top since I have a canopy above the tank. This light puts out a lot of punch and it can penetrate very far into the water, while maintaining good par and spread, so slowly ramp up the light unless you know what your doing with a par meter.

Back