VIPARSPECTRA opinions and alternatives

  • Thread starter Thread starter bradleym
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bradleym

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
1,270
Location
St. Louis, MO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had really good luck with the VIPARSPECTRA 165w full spectrum LED fixtures, but I'm thinking of putting three over a 6-foot reef and I thought I would ask if I'm getting the best bang for my buck, or if there's a better option I should be considering. Thanks in advance for the help!
 
For example, I'm eyeing the Phlizon 165w and wondering if the extra length won't make for better coverage. Hmm...
 
Three over a 6’ tank is great, especially if you put a t5 or led on the front and back. Very cost efficient and hard to beat if you don’t have to have sunrise and sunset. I ran my sps dominated 180 like this for two years with no problems.
 
I have 3 Viparspectra over my 210, I would recommend Viparspectra over Phlison.
My experience was Phlison and marsaqua were pretty much identical except for the lenses.
Phlison that I tried, white channel was more yellow than Viparspectra. I just didn’t like the white channel color spectrum.
Alot of this, is just personal preference.
IMO… Viparspectra has a better light spectrum. I also prefer the digital readout on the Viparspectra.
Unless they have recently changed the design, phlison has dials to adjust.
Also, if this is your first led light fixture, your going to need a par meter to adjust them.
Adjusting to the eye, will just burn up corals.
These have a lot of punch, blue channel set @ 80% on my 210 (29” deep) was 130 par on sand bed, 300 middle and 800 on top.
I now have my blue channel set to 60% and white at 1%.
As I went up towards the top, par increased quickly.
Also get 120* lenses, I got mine from AliExpress. ~$10 per light, well worth the 10 bucks. Very much helps with light spread.
They come with 90* lenses, upgrade to 120*.
Easy to install.
 
I have 3 Viparspectra over my 210, I would recommend Viparspectra over Phlison.
My experience was Phlison and marsaqua were pretty much identical except for the lenses.
Phlison that I tried, white channel was more yellow than Viparspectra. I just didn’t like the white channel color spectrum.
Alot of this, is just personal preference.
IMO… Viparspectra has a better light spectrum. I also prefer the digital readout on the Viparspectra.
Unless they have recently changed the design, phlison has dials to adjust.
Also, if this is your first led light fixture, your going to need a par meter to adjust them.
Adjusting to the eye, will just burn up corals.
These have a lot of punch, blue channel set @ 80% on my 210 (29” deep) was 130 par on sand bed, 300 middle and 800 on top.
I now have my blue channel set to 60% and white at 1%.
As I went up towards the top, par increased quickly.
Also get 120* lenses, I got mine from AliExpress. ~$10 per light, well worth the 10 bucks. Very much helps with light spread.
They come with 90* lenses, upgrade to 120*.
Easy to install.

How far off the water was your light when you took the PAR reading? I'm trying to sort out power for my 75G tank. I know my tank is a bit shallower than your 210. I have my lights about 4" off the water surface. Currently running 60/30 Blue/White
 
My lights on the 210 are 12” over the water line.
My lights all have 120* lenses on them, swapped the 90* lenses out, 120’s have much better spread.
IMO, 4” above the waterline is way too low, especially with the 90* lenses.
My lights on frag tank (40 breeder) are 16” over water line..
@ 4” with 90* lenses, those will likely be like laser beams and you’ll have hot spots.
I would turn your white channel way day, my white channel is only set to 1% and that’s plenty for my 210, mixed reef.
LPs towards bottom, sps towards the top.
 
Last edited:
My lights on the 210 are 12” over the water line.
My lights all have 120* lenses on them, swapped the 90* lenses out, 120’s have much better spread.
IMO, 4” above the waterline is way too low, especially with the 90* lenses.
My lights on frag tank (40 breeder) are 16” over water line..
@ 4” with 90* lenses, those will likely be like laser beams and you’ll have hot spots.
I would turn your white channel way day, my white channel is only set to 1% and that’s plenty for my 210, mixed reef.
LPs towards bottom, sps towards the top.

Thanks for the info! I'll make some adjustments then, sorry for dragging the thread a little off topic lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new