Vodka, vinegar, or both?

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not dosing anything yet at the moment. To clarify my question though, I have settled on carbon dosing for nutrient control because I am trying to base all decisions on what would be easiest for a house sitter after retirement and possible (hoped for) long, extended vacations. Dosing seems much easier than asking a squeemish daughter to harvest chaeto or clean a scruber, etc. Additionally, I have been leaning towards vodka simply for the higher potency so each container goes further before even needing a refill/swap out.

However, in reading through many threads I'm seeing random comments on one, or the other, supporting different types of bacteria as well as causing more/less possibility of cyano. Due to other ingredients I can see there maybe being a difference in cyano probability (even if half say vinegar and the others vodka for which is more likely). However, as far as a "type" of bacteria I'm missing something, unless those comments are simply anecdotal. Isn't carbon, carbon? It's only on the chart of elements once, so what would the source matter? It's still carbon.

So, just looking for clarification and any head to head comparisons with pros/cons. Lower dosing volume required would otherwise be my goal. Total system volume is ~300 gallons and primarily SPS.

Thanks for any help and insight!!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tried and true mix that is virtually the NoPox recipe.
B6687225-5619-49B8-A2D2-CA2B2E08F1CB.jpeg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do a DIY NOPOX, but skip the RODI. 650ml Vinegar and 350ml Vodka. I'm on year 4, I think. Gets dosed throughout the lighting period, 12.5ml per day for a 120G DT + 40G sump.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, overdosing leads to cyano if cyano is present. If you dose based on others experience, it should be ok. As for whether it actually really works as great nutrient export... I can’t say I’ve ever had long term success. I don’t think carbon dosing will zero out NO3 and PO4.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both. I've heard that there may be additional benefits to vinegar, but it's much less concentrated and acidic, so I figured a 50/50 mix could be a nice middle ground

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tried and true mix that is virtually the NoPox recipe.
B6687225-5619-49B8-A2D2-CA2B2E08F1CB.jpeg
As an FYI, using this recipe, I follow the actual Red Sea NoPox instructions which is helpful. As others have said, they all work. I only recommend starting out at 1/2 doses for a week before getting up to regular dosing to avoid any potential bacteria bloom.

OP
OP
S

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Plenty to think about now :) I think I may go with a mix but heavier on the vodka side, but plenty of time to decide. At least it has been confirmed there's not much of a difference overall between sources.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 4ml vodka and 30ml vinegar every morning. Its a maintaince dose for the 600 + gallon system. It might promote different strains, or not.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back