Vortech controller opinions requested

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally have my p4 running. Currently the tank has two Sicce xstream SDC wave pumps but I picked up a Vortech controller for the p4 as part of a package and debating switching to a pair of MP40s. I was all in on switching to ecotech when I thought I could also control a vectra return pump with the p4 through the vortech controller but just read last night that my assumption on that was very wrong so am rethinking the whole thing. So far, here are the pros and cons I can think of and would value any opinions to sway me:

Sicce:
Pros:
Can adjust where they are pointing to divert around the big ugly center overflow in my tank and to get some more surface agitation
Sicce reputation for longevity
Cons:
Wires in the tank/bulkier in tank/not as sleek look as MP40
Controlled by a separate app so with p4 could only turn on and off but could create complementary schedules and hope clocks stay synced
Can change flow patterns by schedule but no truly random flow mode

MP40:
Pros:
Integrate with p4
Minimal look in tank
Good random flow modes
Cons:
Can’t direct flow (not sure how huge a deal this is with random flow and bouncing off tank walls; control is an illusion)
Expensive
Probably less robust/durable than Sicce (don’t want to start a war here, just that I see more threads about vortech pumps being fussy, having problems but that may just reflect the install base and people being extra mad when something so expensive doesn’t last forever, there are plenty of 8 year old plus ones out there still running). Not sure if this is a valid concern.
Have heard rare issues with dropping connection to p4
Doesn’t help me with integrating control of the return pump which annoys me ;)

Anyway, opinions very welcome. I have the MP40s on hand but before I open them and make them unreturnable want to make an informed choice.

As a side note, it’s really annoying that every pump/wave maker/lighting manufacturer is coming out with their own half-done and very closed control app rather than just having a standard that would allow good controller makers (i.e., GHL) do the controlling and pump makers to make good pumps and not add in the cost of programming that really isn’t good and doesn’t integrate into a whole system. The last thing I want is to control lights with one app and return pump with another and wave pumps with another, etc, etc. What a pain! OK, rant over

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Out of all the powerheads I use I keep coming back to the MP40 and -MP60. The flow on them ease of maintenance , is why I keep going back to them.

Pull them out of the tank, remove the guard on them clean them, inspect them and back in they go. I clean mine every 6 months as part of my bi-annual cleaning.

With them tied to the P4 have yet to have them disconnect and have the same pair of MP40 and MP60 running on a tank going onto three years without any issues.

12 intervals programed on the P4, with maintainece and feed mode and water changes. I pretty much set them up and forget to look at all at them within the P4 once done.

I do concur about how everything is become it own app or own control platform and I believe this is going to continue and we has consumers have little to say about it :(

Last edited:

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, thanks for the help. I guess today will be powerhead swap day
Note that Vortechs and Vectras manufactured after June 1st 2020 have the new Mobius firmware installed by default, and will ONLY work with the Mobius app.

They need to be downgraded to the old ESL firmware to work with 3rd party control solutions

Ecotech will currently keep supporting non-Mobius pumps, but they are now considered as legacy software, and they could drop all support and force usage of Mobius at any moment.

I own Vortechs and Vectra with the Mobius firmware, and will not use GHL control solution when I buy my GHL controller in April.

OP
OP
S

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know about the firmware downgrade but figure it's a box with a propeller and I don't really need future firmware. Not sure what it might provide. However, it is a concern that replacement parts with compatible firmware may become unavailable.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running 4 Vortechs on my GHL system since I started this tank in July of 2019. I found that I used the Ecotech software to program the Vortechs and just used the GHL side to shut off pumps on the powerbar. I had bought a GHL controller for the Ecotechs and never used it. I have since sold it.

I originally used Ecotechs Reeflink and have since switched over to Mobius. The programing of the pumps is a million times more versatile & much easier in Mobius than anything GHL does. Mobius has a small learning curve and if you watch some online videos on it you will get the hang of it.

For me I use GHL programming to turn off the pumps for feedings and maintenance via switches and power bar controls, everything else is Mobius. Also I can safely run 2 MP40s on one socket on the power bar. If you don't want to use powerbar sockets just use Mobius Feed mode.

I bought the entire Ecotech line up for 1 App control but honestly I'm not in Mobius very often. I set up all the pumps, lights and rarely ever go back into it unless I want to change a profile which isn't very often. So I find it's not a big deal having two or three apps to control things if I'm not in some very often.

Just a thought and if I had the chance to go back and if I did things today. I would look at Reef Octopus pumps and the Wave Engine from Hydros Coralvue. Note I said Wave engine... Not the controller. The pumps all plug into a single controller, you can run everything from the wave link. Also the pumps can be adjusted to control direction. Negatives are some wires in the tank.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%

Back