Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have asked the million dollar question!

If you lo0k at ABEC numbers, you would think the highest would be the best....ceramic bearings.....not....or maybe....or who knows.

I spent many days looking at all the bearing data and can offer you nothing. Some had great success with the least expensive bearing, while others found the high priced bearing problematic. So who knows.

My advice...since you're about to become an expert in bearing replacement on a Vortech, simply pick one bearing type and go for it. If it doesn't work out, since you're now an expert, change it out to something else.

When I did my bearing replacements, the bearings I picked, at first, made a little noise, but eventually calmed down and quieted down.

HERE's my experience on doing a bearing replacement. Hope this helps.

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McMaster Carr is your Walgreens of the internet for odds and ends of the hard to find hardware and materials. They only sell the best, but you pay the convenience fee.

OP
OP
N

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another question. I just took off the bearings (Which was easy) to get a look at the numbers and saw they are different then the ones I have seen on other threads and videos. One is R-1980KK which I do see is the same as 698ZZ but the other is 607Z. Is the 607Z the same as 697ZZ?

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A veneer caliper is going to be your best friend in measuring what you have. Then, besides the numbers, you can just match the dimensions. If you post a picture of both sides of the bearings, I could help you with bearing type.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another question. I just took off the bearings (Which was easy) to get a look at the numbers and saw they are different then the ones I have seen on other threads and videos. One is R-1980KK which I do see is the same as 698ZZ but the other is 607Z. Is the 607Z the same as 697ZZ?

607-Z?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Z means it's a shielded bearing. Now for the confusion...Z means shield on one side, ZZ means shields on both sides.....and now for the confusion, most bearings labeled as just Z are shielded on both sides.

OP
OP
N

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A veneer caliper is going to be your best friend in measuring what you have. Then, besides the numbers, you can just match the dimensions. If you post a picture of both sides of the bearings, I could help you with bearing type.

2D7A0B89-32DA-44D9-B7EB-9C86B20F712A.jpeg

7A690403-561A-4FB5-8AD9-40289963DE4C.jpeg

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avid carries a bunch of bearings that are dirt cheap as well. I cant imagine the rubber [sealed] wouldnt be fine for this application.

OP
OP
N

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ordered the bearings from MacMaster on the evening of the 3rd and got the parts the next day. One of the bearing went on with in seconds the other one took some hammering. The overall process was quiet simple. To take off the bearings I used a socket and a flat washer which I cut a section off so it would fit around the shaft and used a hammer.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the big question....Is it going to be quiet?

My replacements took maybe a week to quiet down, so don't be discouraged if they are slightly noisy on startup. They have to find their happy place. :cool:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ordered the bearings from MacMaster on the evening of the 3rd and got the parts the next day. One of the bearing went on with in seconds the other one took some hammering. The overall process was quiet simple. To take off the bearings I used a socket and a flat washer which I cut a section off so it would fit around the shaft and used a hammer.

Post which items you used as well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back