Waiting for the shallow reef

MikeDavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for my new shallow reef aquarium - uncertain about lighting selection

My rimless 30x30x18 reef, constructed by Coast-to-Coast, will arrive in December. I'm grateful for any comment about optimal lighting for this size. I love the shimmer effect and will be using MH. Question: Would one 250 watt 14000K MH be sufficient, or a 150 watt, with additional actinic bulbs? My reef will include a variety of corals. Feel free to suggest specific light models. Thank you.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sweet can't wait to see it! When did you order it?

You def need a 250w, but what are your preferences for looks?

OP
OP
M

MikeDavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
light preference

I'm putting it on a 30x30 Perfecto Ventura stand, which is only 29" high, plus the 18" height of the tank, so the top will be at 47", low enough to stand over and look down on the top of the water, which was my design goal. I love single point lighting, but will consider combo lighting too. I'm looking for a simple modern look, no big rock walls. Instead, a more minimalist island approach.

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 would probably be enought light with a good reflector to spread it out. If it were my tank, I would also put blue/actinic t5s around the edge of the MH. There are some nice all in one units out there too that would work great on a cube.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a 250 would definitely work fine, especially with some actinics. Had a 250 in my 40Br.. could grow anything and everything. :)

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w and you can keep pretty much anything you want. It all depends on your color preference. When I upgrade to 250, I plan on running a galaxy ballast with radiums. I will also use actinic supplement, but just to replicate sunrise/sunset. HTH

OP
OP
M

MikeDavis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reflector light spread

Thank you all. If I go with a single 250 watt how to I know that the reflector will spread the light properly across a 30"x30" footprint. I'm reflector design ignorant.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recflector is the most important part of this application, I'd use a lumenmax elite, but a lumen bright large would do the job too.

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran the same size tank only 6 inches shorter with 2x175's over it and depending on wich bulbs i used i could burn sps down in it. I have recently tried to go soft and simple with a few clams so i took one of the 175's off and with the 13000k aqualine ab single ended the few sps left seem to be enjoying it and the tank is plenty bright, i also use cf atinic. A 250 in a good reflector and a strong bulb and you could have anything you wanted cause once you put rock in the corals wont all be in 18 inch deep water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back