Waking up from the nightmare build: the reboot

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago, I posted this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-about-a-nightmare-build-thread.468020/ , which chronicled my misadventures in managing a 380 gallon that was poorly designed and installed (to put it very mildly) by another ‘premiere professional aquarium design company’.

Many of you really seemed to enjoy the thread, despite the fact that the experience has brought me so much pain and personal anguish. If you haven’t read the thread, feel free to do so now. My only recommendation is that you make sure you have a drink handy. If you don’t drink, this would be a good time to start.

Well...now it is time to exorcise some of the demons from this reef. Now, before anybody asks, tearing it down and putting a new tank in is not an option, so I’ve got to make what I’ve got here work.

I don’t know exactly what I’m going to do or how I’m going to go about doing it, but here’s a general rundown of my plan of attack:

1. Drain all water from tank, preserving as much as possible. Fish and coral moved into the sump

2. Rock removed. Most rock kept viable in bins with water, some pieces used for building new structures left out

3. Sand = adios. Add new sand before refilling

4. Rock walls w/ledges built using egg crate, mortar, acrylic rods, live rock pieces

5. Covering the ‘rear’ panels/overflow with dark blue acrylic

6. Removing (hopefully) all dry wall and extraneous structure above the tank (yikes)

7. Building permanent rock structures using mortar/rods/etc to move away from the ‘rock wall’ look and open the tank up a lot more

8. Revamp of filtration in sump (you’ll see)

9. Completely (or as completely as possible) buffing out all interior acrylic

10. Adding everything back to the tank

crossing_fingers_kevin_bacon.gif

I have no idea how long this is going to take, but the client is out of town for 2 months, so I’m just going to be coming and going quite a bit for the next couple of weeks. I’m doing most of this for free as a gift for being such an amazing client. Hopefully the project doesn’t get away from me.

Welp....enjoy the ride!

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see...its 6:55 pm. My goal is to get everything out of the tank that I ultimately want to put back in to the tank out tonight.

Ready to get this party back crackin, as the kids say:
yywvbP4.jpg

But since I don’t know how to drive this bad boy, I’m going to run out real quick and get a cup of coffee:
EJz83qj.jpg

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good.

Corals/inverts out (mostly), fish out (mostly), and very few of what I would consider significant disasters.

Going to pull the bulk of the rest of the rock out and place it in the bins, and then crank up a gyre to keep whatever is still hiding in there happy until tomorrow.

Also rigged up the sump to have water circulate from one side to the other (it’s two 36” x 24” x 30” boxes) so that the livestock can just hang out for however long this takes w/o me having to worry about temp, filtration (skimmer is running), top-off, etc.

5ysg65f.jpg

JeVlVYM.jpg

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow gl that’s a task. Definitely following along
Haha, yep. I’m beginning to get a feel for what I’m up against.

Really, the tear-down and putting it back together isn’t a big deal. But the cosmetic stuff I’m going to have to do inside the tank (spoiler: I’m going to have be inside the tank to do it) is going to be a death march.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started going through your other thread, and WOW, there are so many things going on here. I love how this tank is built into a structural beam. Superficially this tank does look beautiful, but what a nightmare to try to maintain. I don't know your pain, but had to battle issues when I bought my current house. There was a sectioned area in the lower level for an in-wall tank. The cutout was made specifically for a 155 gall bow front that has not been manufactured in a decade. Tracking down a tank but a fun endeavor. Had to modify the drywall to create room for a sump. The way it was laid out, there was not real room to have any time of filtration. Two years in and it finally is getting where it needs to be.

OP
OP
Gregg @ ADP

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started going through your other thread, and WOW, there are so many things going on here. I love how this tank is built into a structural beam. Superficially this tank does look beautiful, but what a nightmare to try to maintain.
It’s been an adventure.

But the new design will make life much, much easier.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the other thread before and did a lot of head shaking all along the way. I am quite certain this will suck, but hopefully it will be so much better when you are done. Besides, that house looks like a really cool place to hang out while the owners are gone. :) Following...

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back