Wall frogspawn shedding

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, still new to this site but I have a question about my wall frogspawn. I’ve had it over 8 months at this point, never moved it an inch, it’s kept in the middle of the tank on the sand bed. I just did a water change and was siphoning near the frogspawn and 3 brownish tentacles came out from underneath the coral and I sucked them up. Is this normal? The frogspawn still looks amazing and doesn’t seem like anything is wrong with it. It looks the same as the day I got it and has grown at least 3 inches. Should I move it? It’s neighboring a rock and touching other branching frogspawn. It’s under a Kessil AP9X, in a waterbox frag 105.4. My parameters are all in check.
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
1-2 nitrate (can’t seem to raise it)
Phosphates are 0.3
Mag 1500
Calcium 450

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are high, especially with nitrates that low. Generally I aim for under .1 phosphate and nitrates around 5.
The brown tentacles may have been a spaghetti worm. Harmless. Don't know unless you have a picture.
I don't have any wall frogspawn, but from what I know about them, they are more temperamental than the branching variety. Especially when it comes to flow.
If it's grown 3 inches, I'd say it's doing pretty good.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogspawn can touch frogspawn, or hammers…
It’s just torches that sting other species if they can.
Moving is not a good idea.
That would certainly add stress.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates are high, especially with nitrates that low. Generally I aim for under .1 phosphate and nitrates around 5.
The brown tentacles may have been a spaghetti worm. Harmless. Don't know unless you have a picture.
I don't have any wall frogspawn, but from what I know about them, they are more temperamental than the branching variety. Especially when it comes to flow.
If it's grown 3 inches, I'd say it's doing pretty good.
Thank you for the reply. I agree my phosphates are high but I’m having trouble getting them down. I do biweekly water changes, 2 filter socks and a aquamaxx skimmer. I don’t feed too heavily and once a month I’ll feed reef roids to the coral. The thing is those tentacles were 100% identical to the frogspawns tentacles. I even had time to examine. Do the worms you mentioned look like that?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What test kits are you using ?

High po4 and zero nitrates and ammonia seem unusual?
Do not move the coral. On the 3 tentacles mentioned, any pics by chance ?

Is po4 .3 or .03 ?
Mag also high - should be 1300-1350 range

My method of lowering phosphate is Chemipure elite which lower and keep it in check

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I agree my phosphates are high but I’m having trouble getting them down. I do biweekly water changes, 2 filter socks and a aquamaxx skimmer. I don’t feed too heavily and once a month I’ll feed reef roids to the coral. The thing is those tentacles were 100% identical to the frogspawns tentacles. I even had time to examine. Do the worms you mentioned look like that?
No, those worms look nothing like frogspawn.
As far as your phosphates, you can use GFO to lower them slowly. You'll want to find out where the phosphates are coming from. Frozen food and pellets have a lot of phosphates. It can also come from your source water, so sending out your RODI for an ICP test might not be a bad idea.
Dry rock can absorb phosphate and then leech them out over time. So, it could be from that as well, if you started with dry rock.

OP
OP
S

ShaneAugust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using ?

High po4 and zero nitrates and ammonia seem unusual?
Do not move the coral. On the 3 tentacles mentioned, any pics by chance ?

Is po4 .3 or .03 ?
Mag also high - should be 1300-1350 range

My method of lowering phosphate is Chemipure elite which lower and keep it in check
I use the Red Sea test kits. On the test kit it reads “.3” does that mean it’s actually .03? I’m confused when it comes to that test kit. I’ll try to take a picture if I can find more of the tentacles. I’ll get some chemipure as well, does cheato work to reduce phosphates? I was also reading that instant ocean reef crystals contain phosphates, is that true?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use the Red Sea test kits. On the test kit it reads “.3” does that mean it’s actually .03? I’m confused when it comes to that test kit. I’ll try to take a picture if I can find more of the tentacles. I’ll get some chemipure as well, does cheato work to reduce phosphates? I was also reading that instant ocean reef crystals contain phosphates, is that true?
Chaeto reduces nitrate not phosphate
.3 ten times higher than.93
Are you feeding reef rounds or other powdered foods?

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you cleaning out the filter socks? Those can end up trapping organic matter and just pump out nitrates and phosphates.

As others have said, there are methods of keeping phosphates low, but I have a torch coral that seems to tolerate phosphates up to .24 (highest I've had ever) but I try to keep it under .1. Water changes will reduce the nitrates as well, so I'd say do a few 20-30% water changes over the course of a week in case there is something else present in the water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back