Wall Hammer with Sudden Brown Jelly?

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, I should have updated the thread. My hammer completely receded and died within a day or two of posting this. It was definitely not pooping, but that was a good suggestion anyways! The first time I saw one of my corals poop, I freaked out.
Turns out that I had some flatworms eating the hammer and once the fleshy parts were gone, I could see them all over the skeleton. Not sure where they came from since I’ve dipped everything and haven’t added anything new in at least 6 months. After the hammer died, the flatworms started coming onto the glass. My Yellow Coris Wrasse and Scooter Blenny have been tag teaming them but I’m still really sad about my wall hammer!
Wall hammers are hard to keep.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, I should have updated the thread. My hammer completely receded and died within a day or two of posting this. It was definitely not pooping, but that was a good suggestion anyways! The first time I saw one of my corals poop, I freaked out.
Turns out that I had some flatworms eating the hammer and once the fleshy parts were gone, I could see them all over the skeleton. Not sure where they came from since I’ve dipped everything and haven’t added anything new in at least 6 months. After the hammer died, the flatworms started coming onto the glass. My Yellow Coris Wrasse and Scooter Blenny have been tag teaming them but I’m still really sad about my wall hammer!
I've been struggling with those 8astards as well! They've killed a lot of my euphyllia.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You might like to watch Jake Adams dipping his Euphyllia for flatworms and fragging. Talks about the benign type that just hang out on LPS.

I love his videos… I’ll have to rewatch because I didn’t have this issue when I first watched it so it didn’t stick out enough to me. Thank you!!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thankfully, I know for sure they’re not the red ones. These guys are just big, flat and don’t move around much. If I scrape the glass they just kind of swim around a little until they drop to the sand and presumably make their way back up into something.
The little white flatworms in the sump are harmless and can be eliminated with flatworm rx. From my understanding they don't release a toxin. The red ones do..

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually, I forgot that I had an ID post on these guys a week or so ago… here are better pics.
@vetteguy53081 its me again! Lol any ideas who these guys are and whether they could have killed a wall hammer?

F2BD44BB-8038-4ECC-B025-513CEAFD2C09.png 2D94D0C4-58DF-4883-8081-526425A0D179.png 8D7FC96E-FD6E-41C0-9859-A6A82A410E09.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually, I forgot that I had an ID post on these guys a week or so ago… here are better pics.
@vetteguy53081 its me again! Lol any ideas who these guys are and whether they could have killed a wall hammer?

F2BD44BB-8038-4ECC-B025-513CEAFD2C09.png 2D94D0C4-58DF-4883-8081-526425A0D179.png 8D7FC96E-FD6E-41C0-9859-A6A82A410E09.jpeg
Yes they can in numbers and these are Planaria and others are acoel that are less of concern unless in high numbers. The planaria are photosynthetic, so they are often found on the glass on on light-facing surfaces. When bringing new coral specimens home, it is wise to quarantine them as you would a new fish. While in quarantine, the new specimens can be closely inspected for flatworm infestation and can also be easily treated to eliminate whatever flatworms are present before introduction to your display tank.
Flatworms have a number of natural predators, including the Sixline Wrasse, the Yellow coris Wrasse, lunare and melanurus wrasse and the Spotted Mandarin. The biggest drawback to ridding your tank of flatworms with this method is that the fish will not consume every flatworm in the tank.
You can siphon with a 3/8" tube as you see them. If you elect to use a chemical treatment, be sure to siphon all of the dead flatworms out of the tank, as they may contain toxins that can be released back into the tank water as the flatworms decay.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes they can in numbers and these are Planaria and others are acoel that are less of concern unless in high numbers. The planaria are photosynthetic, so they are often found on the glass on on light-facing surfaces. When bringing new coral specimens home, it is wise to quarantine them as you would a new fish. While in quarantine, the new specimens can be closely inspected for flatworm infestation and can also be easily treated to eliminate whatever flatworms are present before introduction to your display tank.
Flatworms have a number of natural predators, including the Sixline Wrasse, the Yellow coris Wrasse, lunare and melanurus wrasse and the Spotted Mandarin. The biggest drawback to ridding your tank of flatworms with this method is that the fish will not consume every flatworm in the tank.
You can siphon with a 3/8" tube as you see them. If you elect to use a chemical treatment, be sure to siphon all of the dead flatworms out of the tank, as they may contain toxins that can be released back into the tank water as the flatworms decay.
Thank you!! I will definitely get them out… with chemicals if I need to, but I hope not to have to do that. Thanks for the advice, as always!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back