Wanting to get a tang....but

U

User1

View Badges
Actually on the topic of "it is doable" in smaller tanks, no. It actually isn't. The reason is that you now have to catch the fish to move to another tank. This may:

1. Stress other fish in the system
2. Break corals and/or stress them
3. Force hobbyist to remove corals, rocks, remove water, to capture fish

Of course maybe you will get lucky and a trap so you don't have to run through 1 - 3 above. But at the end of the day one has to ask this. Why add a fish only to remove 5 to 9 months later?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually on the topic of "it is doable" in smaller tanks, no. It actually isn't. The reason is that you now have to catch the fish to move to another tank. This may:

1. Stress other fish in the system
2. Break corals and/or stress them
3. Force hobbyist to remove corals, rocks, remove water, to capture fish

Of course maybe you will get lucky and a trap so you don't have to run through 1 - 3 above. But at the end of the day one has to ask this. Why add a fish only to remove 5 to 9 months later?
It’s a 70 though. It should be fine in there for awhile.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small yellow in a 54 corner. Exhibits no signs of stress as far as I know. It’s been a while since we’ve talked, so I can’t be for certain. Seems perfectly content to me behavior wise. All jokes aside,
I have a very open aquascape with plenty of swimming room. I think this helps. And the tank is way under stocked. At the end of the day, it’s your tank. We all have to decide for ourselves what we think is humane or right. I agree with lots of former post. The Yellow Tang is what got me into this hobby 20 or so years ago! I do have a 240 being built at the moment and I’m sure he or she will appreciate the extra real estate.
0C93C313-E298-43A3-B4AE-A0FC6DA99B71.jpeg

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my question. Can I put a Tomini Tang or another one of the smaller Kole Tangs in a 4 foot, 100+ gallon tank and it will live happily for its full life even after it reaches its adult size of 6”-7”? Or would that even be too small and suffocating for one of these tangs?
Here’s my question. Can I put a Tomini Tang or another one of the smaller Kole Tangs in a 4 foot, 100+ gallon tank and it will live happily for its full life even after it reaches its adult size of 6”-7”? Or would that even be too small and suffocating for one of these tangs?

If you read thru the the thread the consensus was that the Atlantic Ocean is too small for a tang that’s why they live in the pacific. So therefore your Olympic swimming pool size reef tank is not big enough!!!

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often have 3 inch yellow tanks in 50 gallon tangs in mu shop and they seem to do well there at least for a short time. In my 10 feet 430 gallon tank I have 3 yellow tangs of 5 inches that seems to do well. They use 90 % of the tank.
But when I started my 410 gallon tank in 2006 and transfered 4 tangs from a 5 feet tank it was a great difference in their behavior. They were much calmer, didnt patrol the tank any more and spent much more time to eat from the stones.
In my opinion a 5 foot tank is near the limit for having a yellow tang doing real good.
To get real natural behavior the tank should be about a mile long.

GooseCommander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2" tomini in a 3' 45 gallon and he's fat and healthy. A yellow or tomini would be the only two tangs I would recommend and only get one of them, not both, not two of one. Just 1. Perfectly acceptable for several years. Don't get a 6" and expect the same happiness level... or to survive the tang police...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back