War Coral Help!

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone,

I got this war coral about a week ago and it seems like it is not doing good. I have posted a picture below for everyone to see. I see a white spot at the top, is that his skeleton. I have placed him at the bottom of the tank Any help will be great.

2E08B013-BB7D-407C-B9C2-81E0278B9AD6.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one thing I did to regenerate mine was to feed it roti feast and roe eggs from reef nutrition and it's made my brain coral overgrow the old recessed parts and start to cover the sand I'll grab pic when light comes on.

Something about that feed allows me to get mass on coral without heavy waste as a side effect, clean potent

Before roti feast
imageproxy (1).jpg

After, but still older pic. With lights on its bigger now/brain

IMG_20180330_102003009-picsay.jpg

The only change was that feed and increased weekly water changes. Agreed on the light mentioned above, too white bleaches them/go blue

Last edited:
OP
OP
onevarez

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number one thing I did to regenerate mine was to feed it roti feast and roe eggs from reef nutrition and it's made my brain coral overgrow the old recessed parts and start to cover the sand I'll grab pic when light comes on.

Something about that feed allows me to get mass on coral without heavy waste as a side effect, clean potent

I feed the corals reef roids. Wouldn’t that be the same thing?

OP
OP
onevarez

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your parameters and the lighting you are using?

My Salinity is between 1.021 and 1.022
PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

Plz see below the light setting. I have a Fluval Marine 3.0.

D533EA17-CADE-45FE-A4B4-21B5F589EE50.jpeg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see, my recommendations are:
Raise the salinity to 1.025
Raise the nitrate and phosphate to detectable levels.
My guess is that you are likely starving the coral. FWIW, I run my nitrates between 10-20 and phosphate @ .006
Also, what are you keeping the calcium, alkalinity and magnesium at?

OP
OP
onevarez

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see, my recommendations are:
Raise the salinity to 1.025
Raise the nitrate and phosphate to detectable levels.
My guess is that you are likely starving the coral. FWIW, I run my nitrates between 10-20 and phosphate @ .006
Also, what are you keeping the calcium, alkalinity and magnesium at?

What does FWIW stand for?

What do you recommend to raise nitrates and phosphate?

I don’t have any kit to test those parameters. To test calcium, etc. What do you recommend?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do reef roids have to be refrigerated?

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does FWIW stand for?

What do you recommend to raise nitrates and phosphate?

I don’t have any kit to test those parameters. To test calcium, etc. What do you recommend?
For what it's worth. Typically feeding more always kept a nice balance of nitrate and phosphate. Agree with @Reeferdood get that salinity up slowly as well.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll sound corny if I make a boxed food vs refrigerated food/expiration date in eight days comparison but I believe in it enough to practice it in my own gut :)

Sure any food is appreciated and rroids are potent, but it's not the same because i could generate algae in a test system spiking it with rr sooner than clean pods will cause it, this might be limiting overall food delivery and utilization. rr I like to see as supplements

I can feed more pods than I can rr because their potency is just right

Before RN was making that feed I was running reefbowls on ground up frog pellets ha. Today's feed science simply gives me more mass/faster but i could always go back to frog pellets if needed. Wouldn't be spilling polyps on the substrate that's for sure~

OP
OP
onevarez

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Before roti feast
imageproxy (1).jpg

After, but still older pic. With lights on its bigger now/brain

IMG_20180330_102003009-picsay.jpg

The only change was that feed and increased weekly water changes. Agreed on the light mentioned above, too white bleaches them/go blue

How did you feed the war coral with the roti feast? Sprayed on top of it?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they're healthy, attaining mass just fine then rarely is spot feeding needed. Broadcast feeding to the tank, or just living off the associations with fish is often enough and yours above isn't in ill health in my opinion, just hungry possibly. Bluing light a little more will help you'd be surprised. If adjustment not possible then feed focus helps

The regeneration process is exactly like human mass gaining focus vs steady state for a while. It's handy because it's not going against any other support mechanism to feed corals, so no harm possible

Have the coral on the substrate for a while for creative catch feeding

Get up early when the feeder ring tentacles are out. Take some kind of plastic cup or something with a tiny hole in the top and invert it over the coral like a greenhouse underwater, inject or shoot food, small portion, into the hole and the cup concentrates it around the coral, remove after five mins then feed disperses. Put a weight on the cup so it doesn't shift, be creative. I saw someone in a thread so cup feeding with a heavy coffee mug they dremel grinded a hole in he he creative.

This way means you don't have to add more than you already feed, it's just creative concentrating for max mass. It's 5x5 deadlifts at 90% four times a week, for the serious :)

Lesser attempts work... But at least you can see it's your command on what the frag does.

Results take about three months to show, within first eight weeks not much occurs but it's changing metabolism into addition vs atrophy of the coral polyp/flesh

clearest I can get picture due to curve of bowl/down angle across substrate, I'll be able to chip off frags there easily with the bottoms as sand grain inclusions within the skeleton

IMG_20180923_175018538_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
onevarez

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 Thank you for all that information. That is more information that I would have ever thought to receive. It is interesting all the creative ways that people do to get some great results.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back