WARNING - Stay away from Seneye

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm that the app thinks i have a Seneye Home, it's on the info tab.
Now how do i change that...
In an attemp to fix this myself i deleted my account and started all over. Registered a new account under a different username and now..., i can't do anything anymore. The sud is connected to that other account which doesn't exist anymore. Okay, i'm screwed. Need their customer support now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
email em

they're pretty decent about getting back online

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer support helped me good, it's working now incl par. They changed something in their system.

Noticed that you definetely need a Windows PC or laptop/tablet if you want to do real time par measurements.
The mobile phone app (Android) is way too slow, takes ages to get a new measurement. Not doable. On my PC it's real time.

So i wouldn't advice to buy the Seneye server, because you'll need to use the app.
Buy a Windows tablet or Mini PC.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, is it me or do they have a decimal wrong in the NH3 value. 1ppm is 1mg/l, not 0.1.

I currently have the Seneye in a cycling tank where i keep NH3 at 1-2ppm (measuring with testkit). The Seneye dashboard says 0.11 instead of 1.1

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold that initial tune is a real rascal.

consider this post on how to initially tune, best I can relay. you've got to trim it out before itll read correctly these guys did uber detail here on it/best I can relay:

if you've added bottle bac, a seneye will show nearly instant lowering of nh3 when its trimmed

that's why folks love it so much, it tells the truth finally about what cycles do and what post cycled reefs do with nh3

I know its possible to have dead bottle bac

its most possible to be pre trimmed though we think it'll show the nh3 at worst in the hundredths for a new system and then in the thousandths ppm for a cycled one.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, mine was having issues that once got connected to the PC it only works for like 5 minutes and the it goes to an error status. I give up on trying to fix the issues as all the troubleshooting steps by them were basic IT steps. This week I pulled out to do a quick par reading under the 5 minutes mark, but to my surprise the Seneye went to an update and now is working as before. No more 5 minutes shutdown.
Clearly my problem was software related but they keep telling me about my PC, drivers, etc.
Glad I never throw it away. :)

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, is it me or do they have a decimal wrong in the NH3 value. 1ppm is 1mg/l, not 0.1.

I currently have the Seneye in a cycling tank where i keep NH3 at 1-2ppm (measuring with testkit). The Seneye dashboard says 0.11 instead of 1.1
If your measuring total ammonia with a test kit NH3 + NH4, the Seneye reading only NH3 will be about 5 to 9% of total ammonia but a conversion chart detailing temp, salinity and pH will give greater accuracy.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your measuring total ammonia with a test kit NH3 + NH4, the Seneye reading only NH3 will be about 5 to 9% of total ammonia but a conversion chart detailing temp, salinity and pH will give greater accuracy.
Columbo test kit measures NH3. On the picture i have a ~0.25ppm reading with this kit. The Seneye however reports 0.022ppm.
That's why i mentioned do they have a decimal wrong? Shouldn't Seneye report 0.22 instead of 0.022?

20210422_001217.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

thats a perfect pic above
that .25 total ammonia equates to .025 on the seneye as nh3 nice call Garf.

that’s a decent color tube test there. I’d call that seneye darn close to benchmarked too. Nice

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Columbo test kit measures NH3. On the picture i have a ~0.25ppm reading with this kit. The Seneye however reports 0.022ppm.
That's why i mentioned do they have a decimal wrong? Shouldn't Seneye report 0.22 instead of 0.022?

20210422_001217.jpg

Can we do a comparison between the output of the seneye and these tests?

Yes, but caution should be taken. As a guide you should be able to take the TAN value and use a free ammonia calculator which takes into account pH, temperature, salinity and the TAN value. These calculations are based on exact chemisty and as such any minor error in the measurements of the input data will have a drastic effect on the calculated NH3 value.

This is why seneye measures NH3 directly.
TAN of .25 at pH 8.3 (and other factors) gives you free ammonia of 0.021 Nh3

None of these can actually calculate real free ammonia.
Seneye, I assume, uses it's pH, temp measurement and TAN measurement (w/ guessing salinity) w/ a close approx to actual free ammonia.

Use this calculator and added parameters.. see how close the Seneye is.
add temp, salinity and pH and use .25 TAN

.25ppm FREE ammonia is toxic to many fish..
The "kit" isn't measuring NH3 AFAICT.
At higher levels (>0.1 mg/liter NH3) even relatively short exposures can lead to skin, eye, and gills damage.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back