Warning: Use Vibrant at your own risk

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where we go from here... It seems that there are many people that have had losses due to Vibrant. I was fortunate to get my money back from Amazon. This was deliberate and has affected our pet's health. I am currently in talks with some people. If I find anything out, I'll share.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, dishonesty is bad, either from the moral or legal standpoint. Moral dishonesty and the product efficacy against gha/bubble algae are different subjects to me. You can far cry or boycott all you want.

Vibrant DOES help me clean up green hair, bubble algae and no side of effect of that I aware in my mixed reef tank, besides destroying my chaetos (it was my fault for I forgot to remove it before dosing). Have been using it for more than 2 years. As long as it gets the job done, I personally don't care its algaecide, snake oil, voodoo magic, or whatever. It works and that's all it matters. I will keep using it when the time calls for.

Btw, coralline algae grows fine in my tank during all these Vibrant applications, just you know.
well I lost $3k in acros after a single dose, so you do you, but the rest of us with massive losses due to a guarantee of a bacterial product have pitchforks to sharpen. just go buy algaefix and save some money at least.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
figure it out connect the dots GIF

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s AlgaeFix with new labeling then wouldn’t one save half and go API? I believe that’s part of the issue. Not just that a manufacturer lied but that they are charging double for the same product.
If AlgaeFix performs as good as Vibrant and gets as many as Vibrant 'yeah" sayers/users. Definitely would go with AlgaeFix. Since I am not a tester and don't have the resources, I just follow the majority and take the chance. When shopping on Amazon, I'm always referencing with the rating and see the comments.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If AlgaeFix performs as good as Vibrant and gets as many as Vibrant 'yeah" sayers/users. Definitely would go with AlgaeFix. Since I am not a tester and don't have the resources, I just follow the majority and take the chance. When shopping on Amazon, I'm always referencing with the rating and see the comments.
Amazon ratings can be manipulated. Manufacture can create multiple accounts. Buy one item. Leave feedback. We would be none the wiser. It’s eBay on steroids. Good thing they have a great customer support system. I’m confident any referencing the testing done on this forum and implication of potential mislabeling that doesn’t display it as having a algaecide will result in a refund even if outside the refund process. Just don’t expect them to stop selling it.

At this point. I’d expect online vendors to honor the same. Assuming they are convinced this should have been labeled same as Algaefix. At a minimum. Stop selling it until this is resolved.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also b people using algaefix dose more cautiously since they know what it is.
I wish that was the case......in my second tank I only dosed half the recommended dosage just because of the issues I had with the previous setup. I am not totally ripping the product......I had it work successfully in the past, which is why I tried to give it another (two actually) chances lol. There is just no rhyme or reason why it works in one but not another that I can see.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe UWC's claim is that the product they are selling is the byproduct of bacteria and so it's a naturally produced algaecide.

That's one reasonable interpretation of what they have said in some posts. But they have also literally said "no algaecide" and the algaecide that taricha found by NMR is not naturally produced.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one reasonable interpretation of what they have said in some posts. But they have also literally said "no algaecide" and the algaecide that taricha found by NMR is not naturally produced.
I would also argue any byproduct of bacteria should not be called a "cultured bacterial blend". This statement implies actual cultured bacteria, not a byproduct of bacteria. UWC was always playing loose with that ingredient list to begin with. But I suppose this is all moot now considering it seems Vibrant is neither bacteria or produced by bacteria.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear to be what UWC claims. Data clearly suggest it is an algaecide identical to Algaefix (see thread below)

IMO, this as a very serious breach of trust from a company that has insisted it is not an algaecide. It is also a clear breach of the Reef2Reef terms of service (about making misleading statements).

UWC refuses to respond to these allegations despite having been asked to do so.

It’s also illegal to sell algaecides without proper licenses. And they are importing/exporting out of the country under false pretenses. SUPER ILLEGAL

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s interesting that 2 years ago, @Bulk Reef Supply w
seemed to advertise/talk about vibrant frequently; but I haven’t heard them talk about vibrant for some time…

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seemed to advertise/talk about vibrant frequently; but I haven’t heard them talk about vibrant for some time…
Well, when I called BRS looking for guidance back in November. We were discussing options and the expert told me that Vibrant was the best option for me to use because it was a "natural bacteria and not a chemical" like the other products. So they are still pushing it over the phone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They highlighted the product when they started carrying it.

People need to stop with the BRS conspiracy theories. They aren't at fault here. Nor are they the only vendor that sells Vibrant. Most online vendors and LFS's sell the stuff. We and they were all duped by UWC.

The thought that BRS needs to make a statement here before UWC does is backwards.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always felt off about vibrant glad I stayed away. I mean bacteria that only eats algae? Seemed too good to be true , buy more clean up crew instead lol or use reef flux rx it works!
It is pretty well known that bacteria produce toxins that kill algae. Not saying thats whats in vibrant, just FYI

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hmm, seems like everyone has a different experience with Vibrant. I have been using it for months to keep bryopsis in check. I haven't had anything die except a frammer which I suspect died more due to the algae in my tank stripping the nutrients out of the water.

I honestly haven't seen any signs of stress to my other coral, fish, or inverts and I have been dosing 1.5x the recommended dose twice a week.

Any micro-biologists out there that can confirm if Vibrant contains any bacteria at all?

I suspect that Vibrant is simply a form of carbon dosing considering it has vinegar in it.
Taricha centrifuged it - and didn't see a pellet - however, when he cultured it - it grew bacteria. So - though it supposedly contains QUAT, it is not sterile.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon is good about returns but not sure the manufacturer gets dinged when they make an accommodation.
The manufacturer ABSOLUTELY get dinged.

If you return something to Amazon
1. The business (A) selling the item gets charged back for the item.
2. Then A will try to get a refund from whatever distributor (B) they bought it from
3. Then B will try to get credit from the Manufacturer (C)
3a. There may not be a distributor always involved, so it may go directly form the amazon seller to the manufacturer
4. All manufacturers have a built in allotment for returns and defective, usually in the 2-4% range. When it goes over that, price increases happen because they can't keep writing off everything and need to make that money up somewhere

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also argue any byproduct of bacteria should not be called a "cultured bacterial blend". This statement implies actual cultured bacteria, not a byproduct of bacteria. UWC was always playing loose with that ingredient list to begin with. But I suppose this is all moot now considering it seems Vibrant is neither bacteria or produced by bacteria.

I can see Budweiser picking up on this for the next superbowl commercial. The finest cultured bacterial blend libation in the land.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back