Wartskin Angler Preparation Q's

UnderwaterGamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy (almost) weekend everybody!

I am currently a month into my cycle for my 20g and I am starting to think about the soon to come ugly phase of my tank / general algae concerns for the future. This tank will be a species only tank for a Wartskin Frogfish, so I was curious about what CUC I could have as well as what bacteria I could dose without hurting the Wartskin.

For CUC - Obviously no shrimp that I'd want to keep around for more than a day lol, but what about hermits and snails? Has anyone had/ heard of a frogfish that hunts hermit crabs/ snails? Do these also fall under the "If it fits in its mouth, it'll try to eat it" category?

For Dosing - I know I cannot dose things like Chemiclean, does this mean I cannot dose anything at all? I was mainly looking at Vibrant or MicroBacter just to be prepared for / possibly skip the ugly phase of the tank.

Are there any other ways you can handle algae in these types of tanks?

TIA!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My wartskin loves shrimp :) . I imagine it will go after anything that moves but I'm not too sure

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as dosing bacteria, I imagine you have already dosed bacteria to cycle your tank, that kind of bacteria is fine. As far as Vibrant goes, I would say "NO!", Is Vibrant trying to kill my lions | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

Cuc can include hermits and snails. I'll tell you the best thing to completely skip the uglies, that's add macro algae immediately after cycle. On a 20g you can use an algae reactor or an hob refugium. You can also plant some macro in the display. If it's not a reef, using simple blue and white lighting set low to just enhance viewing pleasure on a short cycle also helps control algae.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tell you the best thing to completely skip the uglies, that's add macro algae immediately after cycle.
Well the BEST thing would be some real LIVE rock imo. I've never had a cycle in my live rock tanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the BEST thing would be some real LIVE rock imo. I've never had a cycle in my live rock tanks

Live rock is going to be your foundation for nitrifying bacteria. Even with real live rock most will get a diatom bloom and an ugly phase. What happens after the initial cycle is you usually get an abundance of nitrates and phosphates. Most tanks will experience an ugly phase right after the initial cycle with a diatom bloom and algae blooms. Macro algae will absorb these excessive nutrients and not only skip the uglies but will maintain a low nutrient level to help with water quality. I run refugiums on 4 tanks and an algae reactor on a 5th, I don't do water changes, my nitrates and phosphates are minimum. The only tank I get any algae in at all has full spectrum lighting that I have had running for about 10 years. Because I run predator fowlrs I have blue and white lighting and run them on a low level during the evening hours when I am home, 6 hours total.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Happy (almost) weekend everybody!

I am currently a month into my cycle for my 20g and I am starting to think about the soon to come ugly phase of my tank / general algae concerns for the future. This tank will be a species only tank for a Wartskin Frogfish, so I was curious about what CUC I could have as well as what bacteria I could dose without hurting the Wartskin.

For CUC - Obviously no shrimp that I'd want to keep around for more than a day lol, but what about hermits and snails? Has anyone had/ heard of a frogfish that hunts hermit crabs/ snails? Do these also fall under the "If it fits in its mouth, it'll try to eat it" category?

For Dosing - I know I cannot dose things like Chemiclean, does this mean I cannot dose anything at all? I was mainly looking at Vibrant or MicroBacter just to be prepared for / possibly skip the ugly phase of the tank.

Are there any other ways you can handle algae in these types of tanks?

TIA!
I have had 3 wartskins over the past 3 years. One died from chemiclean, one wasn’t healthy from the store, the one I have now I got almost full grown and have had for 2 years.

they won’t go after hermits or snails. Mine tried to eat a hermit that was moving by quickly and immediately spit it out. They can’t handle the shells. I also have emerald crabs and they don’t mess with them. But yes, 109% every shrimp will be eaten. Not if, but win.

as far as ugly phase, if you must put the wartskin in before the ugly phase is over, don’t use chemicals. It’s a phase, it goes away. Chemiclean was something I used and my wart skin croaked before the treatment was over. Just let the phase come and go and it’ll be fine. Micro acted is just bacteria, not chemical, I still dose that occasionally.

and I believe the biggest mistake people make with these fish is trying to feed them everyday. They are not animals that eat a shrimp everyday. They eat a bunch at once, get full, go a few days, eat again. I feed mine until it stops eating every 3 or so days and I’ve had him 2 years.

OP
OP
UnderwaterGamer

UnderwaterGamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone! The only thing I've put in the tank this far is live sand, life rock, biological filtration and Dr Tims Nitrifying Bacteria, I'm just asking this to try to be prepared/ plan for the future.

I'll definitely try to find a HOB refugium that will fit on the back/ run quiet (this tank is in a bedroom). Thats good to know about the CUC though! I'm glad I can have some snails/ hermits to help out with blooms, have you all ever had issues with hermits picking on the frogfish since they're all bottom dwellers? I feel like hermits will nip at anything they can

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back