Was watching Honolulu news last night

reeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over on Oahu they continue to make news about how many Hawaiians feel that the aquarium trade is causing a reduction of reef fish. According to the news this has been an ongoing issue for many years and some feel that no more fish should be caught and sold to the reef market. They interviewed a local reef shop owner who felt confident that the capture and distribution will continue but still this seems to be a hot topic.
I'm not on Oahu but I've been diving around Maui for the past few days and don't see any difference except for yellow tangs. Maybe its just where I've been but usually yellow tangs are all over the place but not so much any more. Tons of other tangs but yellow are not as plentiful as the past.
I will be diving around Moloka'i tomorrow so maybe things will be different.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that the trade probably has put the hurting yellow tangs... on another note, I WISH I WAS DIVING!!! have fun!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting! Let us know what you see on the next dive and be safe!

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over on Oahu they continue to make news about how many Hawaiians feel that the aquarium trade is causing a reduction of reef fish. According to the news this has been an ongoing issue for many years and some feel that no more fish should be caught and sold to the reef market. They interviewed a local reef shop owner who felt confident that the capture and distribution will continue but still this seems to be a hot topic.
I'm not on Oahu but I've been diving around Maui for the past few days and don't see any difference except for yellow tangs. Maybe its just where I've been but usually yellow tangs are all over the place but not so much any more. Tons of other tangs but yellow are not as plentiful as the past.

is less yellow tangs and more other tangs a bad thing?
sure i like yellow tangs, but if they were overpopulated that leaves less food for the other tangs

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, did they interview many of the locals and get their opinions?

Be sure to get lots of pic's and share them with us jealous one's over here!

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hi, just want to make sure that you know "Hawaiians" aren't causing this issue. i'm hawaiian and I have no problem with regulation, i do have a problem with a complete ban. this bill they're trying to introduce will BAN ALL FRESHWATER AND SALTWATER fish, inverts, plants, corals in the state of hawaii completely. THERE WILL BE NO REGULATION IT WILL BE A COMPLETE BAN.

coral magazine article. good read.
"Snorkle Bob Bill" Would Ban Aquarium Fish Collection in Hawaii | Coral Magazine

OP
OP
R

reeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe anyone that is local can give more info. I'm only here on vacation but here often enough to see a difference. I guess if supply lowers because not as much capture and selling of the fish is allowed around the islands then the prices will increase.
Sorry.. not Hawaiians.

Last edited:

Bubbles_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe down the line they may become endangered and maybe even extinct in the decades to come because of our insatiable appetite to own them. Scary thought... :neutral: Good thing I have not contributed to it the loss in population. Thanks to my love of chromis. Sigh of relief, this makes me feel good about my tank's low budget fishies :sweet_kiss:

But I will defintely stay tuned in as I am always interested in learning new things about our natural world!!!

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think snorkel bob and all the rest of the people who want to ban aquaculture capture should try to introduce bills to staff the DLNR and DAR sufficiently SO IT CAN BE MONITORED MORE CLOSELY AND LOOK AT THE DATA COLLECTED.............

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that Hawaii has a state fish and wildlife organization. How do they feel? Maybe they need to tighten the restrictions.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back