Stocking help for a 75 gallon

ZBrazel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need feedback for stocking a 75. 4’ long, 100+ gallons total including sump. Already in the picture is a pair of clowns, pearly jaw, hectors goby, two cleaner shrimp and remaining CUC. Definitely want a tomini tang or another Ctenochaetus tang. Definitely want a couple wrasses (maybe melanarus, flasher/fairy). True mixed reef with established LPS and softie colonies, even a few sps, medium sand bed to accommodate the already present jawfish.

So total would be
Tang
Halichoeres Wrasse
Fairy or flasher wrasse
2x clowns
Jawfish
Hectors Goby

This leaves me room I think to add a bit more. Would be interested in something a bit different to shoal around in negative space. Was thinking maybe a couple blue gudgeon dartfish or a couple of chalk basslets just for something maybe less common as a shoaling choice and knowing those are both shy hoping that multiples would encourage more activity. Not huge on the needs of anthias (although I think they are awesome) or all the negatives of chromis, had some cardinals once and not really a fan of them either. Another route could be one more larger fish, like maybe a yellow tang to grow out until the next tank upgrade? This would all be added in the appropriate order and slowly to accommodate proper husbandry. Open to ideas/suggestions/concerns

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need feedback for stocking a 75. 4’ long, 100+ gallons total including sump. Already in the picture is a pair of clowns, pearly jaw, hectors goby, two cleaner shrimp and remaining CUC. Definitely want a tomini tang or another Ctenochaetus tang. Definitely want a couple wrasses (maybe melanarus, flasher/fairy). True mixed reef with established LPS and softie colonies, even a few sps, medium sand bed to accommodate the already present jawfish.

So total would be
Tang
Halichoeres Wrasse
Fairy or flasher wrasse
2x clowns
Jawfish
Hectors Goby

This leaves me room I think to add a bit more. Would be interested in something a bit different to shoal around in negative space. Was thinking maybe a couple blue gudgeon dartfish or a couple of chalk basslets just for something maybe less common as a shoaling choice and knowing those are both shy hoping that multiples would encourage more activity. Not huge on the needs of anthias (although I think they are awesome) or all the negatives of chromis, had some cardinals once and not really a fan of them either. Another route could be one more larger fish, like maybe a yellow tang to grow out until the next tank upgrade? This would all be added in the appropriate order and slowly to accommodate proper husbandry. Open to ideas/suggestions/concerns
Halichoeres wrasses may eat your shrimp. I'd stick with the fairy wrasses, many of which are very lovely and less likely to snack on them.

Blue gudgeons are lovely, but I only see mine at feeding time. They spend their rest of their time in the aquascape, and do not provide visual interest in the tank.

Chalk bass aren't what I'd consider to be "shoaling" fish. They may form small groups in the home aquarium, but I'm not sure that you'd get the desired dynamic in the tank this size, and with your selected tankmates.

Have you considered captive-bred orchid dottybacks? I've still never had any aggression issues with my dottybacks, and I have springeri, fridmani, and a lone yellow dottyback in my tanks. The Fridmani dottybacks are some of the most beautiful aquarium fish you can find, and add an excellent counterpoint to darker rock.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a peaceful 'grouping' fish, the yellow assessor is a pretty good option. They don't shoal, but they definitely do group quite nicely. They're captive bred and super peaceful. They can be reclusive until they get comfortable, but they're a really fun character fish.

I'd also suggest zebra barred dartfish, which tend to be more active than blue gudgeons, and also exhibit similar 'shoaling' tendencies, but they don't have the same colouration as the gudgeons or chromis which seems to be a colour that you'd like to have.

A captive bred dottyback would be a nice addition, as already mentioned. The captive bred ones seem to be far less aggressive than wild caught.

OP
OP
Z

ZBrazel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres wrasses may eat your shrimp. I'd stick with the fairy wrasses, many of which are very lovely and less likely to snack on them.

Blue gudgeons are lovely, but I only see mine at feeding time. They spend their rest of their time in the aquascape, and do not provide visual interest in the tank.

Chalk bass aren't what I'd consider to be "shoaling" fish. They may form small groups in the home aquarium, but I'm not sure that you'd get the desired dynamic in the tank this size, and with your selected tankmates.

Have you considered captive-bred orchid dottybacks? I've still never had any aggression issues with my dottybacks, and I have springeri, fridmani, and a lone yellow dottyback in my tanks. The Fridmani dottybacks are some of the most beautiful aquarium fish you can find, and add an excellent counterpoint to darker rock.
Thank you for your help. I think I can overcomplicate things sometimes, and totally glanced over a dottyback. I’ve seen people pair them before, any hope for that?

OP
OP
Z

ZBrazel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a peaceful 'grouping' fish, the yellow assessor is a pretty good option. They don't shoal, but they definitely do group quite nicely. They're captive bred and super peaceful. They can be reclusive until they get comfortable, but they're a really fun character fish.

I'd also suggest zebra barred dartfish, which tend to be more active than blue gudgeons, and also exhibit similar 'shoaling' tendencies, but they don't have the same colouration as the gudgeons or chromis which seems to be a colour that you'd like to have.

A captive bred dottyback would be a nice addition, as already mentioned. The captive bred ones seem to be far less aggressive than wild caught.
The zebra barred are really cool! Not a fan of chromis really, so my feelings aren’t hurt by the blue gudgeons. That decision was sort of influenced by what I’ve seen around the lfs as far as dartfish go outside the typical red and purple. But I can always ask if they can get some in

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. I think I can overcomplicate things sometimes, and totally glanced over a dottyback. I’ve seen people pair them before, any hope for that?
Captive-bred dottybacks (and all dottybacks, really) are much better in pairs. My dottybacks will often squabble and bicker with each other, but never seem to spread any aggression they have to their other tankmates.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
In theory the correct way to judge stocking is; for every 1 inch of fish it will need 3 gallons of water so if you have a fish that is 3 inches it will need 9 gallons of water etc etc

OP
OP
Z

ZBrazel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive-bred dottybacks (and all dottybacks, really) are much better in pairs. My dottybacks will often squabble and bicker with each other, but never seem to spread any aggression they have to their other
I will definitely be adding two orchid dottys then! I think that’ll round out my tank nicely.

When adding them as a pair, is it best to do that before or after the flasher/fairy wrasses? Not sure how their aggression changes when paired. I’m guessing tang is still last in my order of adding

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid dottybacks are rock dwellers; fairy wrasses are not. I don't see points of conflict between them and the order in which you add them shouldn't matter that much. If anything, you might have a problem with your clowns if you add them first and let them establish territories before adding any other fish to the tank.

If you are going to add more than a dottyback pair -- say you want a harem -- I'd add them all at the same time. They can bully, harass, and beat up other individuals that encroach upon the territory of an established pair.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back