Waspfish skin sloughing ?

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My waspfish is showing discoloration around his head, with his dark brown coloration coming off in little bits. Any ideas what this is?
2CFA1045-2FAE-4FE4-BFC8-7E07D60BDDBF.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waspfish do shred, so it may be nothing to worry about. The Scorpaenidae family of fish which include the waspfish, lions, and scorpionfish; will shred or slough off the outer layer of their skin. This protects them from parasites and may balance a change in tanks or tank conditions. Many times they do this and you don't even see it, you may see bits of skin floating around, or sometimes they will zoom to help the loose skin slough off. Their color may get dull and even their eyes could get cloudy right before they shed, Most times there is no other noticeable observations, every once in a while they may go off feeding, but that would be a very quick turnaround.

How long has he been in the tank and is he still eating.

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had it for 3 months and it feeds like a pig. The other thing I have noticed it that it has been swimming in the water column more than uasual. He only eats frozen abs I have not fed frozen since Monday, so maybe he is just hungry….

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding him, him eating well for 3 months is a good sign, but cockatoo waspfish are very difficult. While swimming into flow can be something they do to help with shedding, swimming in flow and hanging at the surface can also be signs of flukes. Shedding skin can also be a sign of poor water quality, so check your parameters. Have you added any fish since his addition. When I say difficult, these fish ca be fine for a few months, then just quit eating for unknown reasons. And yes they will swim to the surface or doing their little dance once they learn the routine to tell you they are hungry.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waspfish do shred, so it may be nothing to worry about. The Scorpaenidae family of fish which include the waspfish, lions, and scorpionfish; will shred or slough off the outer layer of their skin. This protects them from parasites and may balance a change in tanks or tank conditions. Many times they do this and you don't even see it, you may see bits of skin floating around, or sometimes they will zoom to help the loose skin slough off. Their color may get dull and even their eyes could get cloudy right before they shed, Most times there is no other noticeable observations, every once in a while they may go off feeding, but that would be a very quick turnaround.

How long has he been in the tank and is he still eating.
I am so glad I read this. In all of my reading about this group I never read that! Thanks so much for posting!

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue tang, but the tang went through QT (copper plus prazi), he went through QT with CP + prazi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back