• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Watch out before buying or selling

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it hasnt already been said, google pay, apple pay and Zelle should be added to the "do not use" list. Craigslist scammers ask for these payment methods almost exclusively.

Why not use 'ApplePay' - it has the same 'protections' as whatever credit card you use. I dont know about Zelle or google pay.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use 'ApplePay' - it has the same 'protections' as whatever credit card you use. I dont know about Zelle or google pay.
I think this is for a merchant type transaction in person, as my google pay is the same way. I can pay at any merchant that accepts tap to pay without compramising my credit or debit cards security. But i dont believe you are protected sending $xx to joe blows email since you did not pay any fees to be protected. Kinda like driving without auto insurance.....
I could be wrong here but google pay stipulates not to send money to someone who you dont trust....
Ive looked into it multiple times trying to get playoff tickets. Deduced to paypal being the ONLY secure method of payment.
I've been a paying paypal customer here for over 10 years and they've never done me wrong.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is for a merchant type transaction in person, as my google pay is the same way. I can pay at any merchant that accepts tap to pay without compramising my credit or debit cards security. But i dont believe you are protected sending $xx to joe blows email since you did not pay any fees to be protected. Kinda like driving without auto insurance.....
I could be wrong here but google pay stipulates not to send money to someone who you dont trust....
Ive looked into it multiple times trying to get playoff tickets. Deduced to paypal being the ONLY secure method of payment.
I've been a paying paypal customer here for over 10 years and they've never done me wrong.

Apple Pay is not emailing money - it is just using your credit card (an encoded number) to pay the vendor. For example - to use ApplePay on a website - you have to first enter your credit card into your computer - and thats whats used. So - all of the protection your own credit card provides is provided when you purchase something with it on your phone or computer). Like I said - I have no knowledge about Google Pay - my understanding is that Zelle comes directly out of your bank account - like a debit card. so there is no or minimal protection.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apple Pay is not emailing money - it is just using your credit card (an encoded number) to pay the vendor. For example - to use ApplePay on a website - you have to first enter your credit card into your computer - and thats whats used. So - all of the protection your own credit card provides is provided when you purchase something with it on your phone or computer). Like I said - I have no knowledge about Google Pay - my understanding is that Zelle comes directly out of your bank account - like a debit card. so there is no or minimal protection.
Yes i understand..and thats what i stated in my post...but there are options to send money to anyone....these are not protected methods of payment like paying a vendor.
Are you providing the credit card number for the vendor to charge?
Unfortunately as private sellers were not all that fortunate to have payment systems that accept a credit card number or account number. This is whats being talked about on this thread. Not providing credit card info to a vendor. You shouldnt have any issues there, even if they had your real credit card info. Also credit cards are very easy to get money back that was charged fraudulently so I wouldnt be overly concerned providing my credit card info to an online vendor....but again thats not whats being discussed here.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes i understand..and thats what i stated in my post...but there are options to send money to anyone....these are not protected methods of payment like paying a vendor.
Are you providing the credit card number for the vendor to charge?
Unfortunately as private sellers were not all that fortunate to have payment systems that accept a credit card number or account number. This is whats being talked about on this thread. Not providing credit card info to a vendor. You shouldnt have any issues there, even if they had your real credit card info. Also credit cards are very easy to get money back that was charged fraudulently so I wouldnt be overly concerned providing my credit card info to an online vendor....but again thats not whats being discussed here.

OK - I get it now - but - where I disagree with you is to say 'don't use Apple Pay because you're not protected' - thats not entirely true. If you are using Apple Pay to pay for something (whether online or not) - its protected the same way your credit card is. (but you're right - the vendor needs to accept 'Apple Pay'.

There is another way to use Apple Pay - via a debit card - you can send money (you need to have that debit card in your 'apple wallet' - that is just like sending money from your bank - and wouldn't have protections of a credit card.

Not wanting to argue - just saying - to make a blanket statement that if someone accepts Apple Pay - that that means there is something fishy MAY not be true (depending on the version they are talking about)....

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you are saying, I totally do...but the first post only mentions the word vendor once. This thread seems to be geared toward warning people about sending money online to another member(not a proper online transaction from a vendor)
If a private seller or vendor is asking for you to send them money on google pay or apple pay, likely they dont want you to punch in your credit card info....and likely, unless you trust them, are trying to bypass buyer and seller protection.
If i responded to a "how to buy coral from a vendor online" thread with my "blanket statement", i could see your issue.
But i didnt, so i dont.
I get what you are saying and i wouldnt hesitate to use google pay for a proper online transaction. But would no way use it to send money to someone im doing business with. Simple as that, you really shouldnt try further to explain yourself since i already understand what you are saying....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those specific words in that order never happened from me by the way.....

You're correct. I was summing up a couple posts. Sorry - I was relating it to : If it hasnt already been said, google pay, apple pay and Zelle should be added to the "do not use" list. Craigslist scammers ask for these payment methods almost exclusively.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct. I was summing up a couple posts. Sorry - I was relating it to : If it hasnt already been said, google pay, apple pay and Zelle should be added to the "do not use" list. Craigslist scammers ask for these payment methods almost exclusively.
I see, no worries :)
Just to reiterate if it was conveluded,
I wouldnt hesitate to use apple or google pay for a merchant but would not utilize the sending money feature as its only friends and family with no protection. Zelle too.

reefshawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d use Apple Pay before I’d use a real credit card. When you add a CC to your Apple Wallet you’re in effect still using that card with all its normal protections. I use an AMEX which is very friendly towards its customers. Don’t use a debit card, they typically don’t have the same legal protections/liability cap.

Apple Pay is great because they never actually share your credit card number with the vendor... there are one time keys that are generated and everything is encrypted. It’s about the best we have right now. In addition Apple tends to shield its customers data and always takes a position of not sharing, and only shares data when its necessary such as providing your home address for shipping.

Apple Pay Cash in iMessage is another matter. While it still has all the encryption and other protections in place, with this feature inside iMessage it’s essentially you sending someone you already trust money from an Apple Cash account... you don’t have near the protections you’d have using a credit card. Agree you should not use this except for specific circumstances. Money is transferred to your Apple Cash account via an EFT so you likely have banking regulations to protect you, but it isn’t as clear. We will see if Apple updates its Cash app after it begins providing its own Apple Credit Card later this year....

I think folks talking about Apple Pay actually mean Apple Pay Cash for iMessage.

Google Pay I’m not as familiar with but likely has similar safeguards. The issue I have with google is they take the opposite tact to Apple and tend to collect and provide all data to anyone. But it’s likely very safe. Same issues if they offer something similar to Apple Pay Cash.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What if I’m a seller and the buyer is asking to pay half now and half when it ships? If I ship the coral and he decides not to pay the other half I’m sol right? I have not intentions of scamming but I also don’t want to be scammed
Unacceptable. Red flag. Heck, ill buy a car and pay half if that’s the case.
Unless you had personal experience with or know the person, you’re setting yourself up

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google pay, apple pay, venmo have all been added to the no go list. PayPal goods and services is the best secure way to pay for goods on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to take a minute to bump this up. Please review the sales forum rules specifically the part about PayPal friends and family. If asked to pay friends and family or to pay the sellers fees please report the seller.
  • “Do not send money as a gift (i.e. PayPal's Friends and Family option, Venmo, or Western Union), EVER!!!!R2R has updated the selling forum rules where members must not ask for the items to be sent as a gift. If you send the money as a gift, you will lose any chance of protection with paypal (or whatever service you are paying with). Also, try to use a credit card as your payment with paypal. If for some reason the transaction goes south and paypal does not side with you, you may have protection from the credit card issuer and you can open a dispute with them

Ptinetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i get privileges to post in the selling?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you could trade it in at your LFS and get store credit?

You could also post it in your respective state forum.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could also post it in your respective state forum.
Just to clarify that point, it would need to be posted in a local club forum (not just the general state forum). HTH
The marketplace is open to members with 30 days of being on R2R and 25 (meaningful) posts immediate access is available to R2R supporting members.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lets give this a bump as I personally have had a lot of sellers ask for friends and family in pp then jack up the price when I say no. I did have a problem with one seller when a coral did not do well when received and had to make a dispute on paypal which I'm covered since I payed for goods and service. Prime example, Do not Pay F&F!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had no idea all that even existed lol.
I want to see a great feedback thread on myself immediately( JK)
Considering I've stocked my reef almost fully with other reefers corals and had nothing but great experiences!
I've always looked at post history and reps before doing any business.
Play it safe and follow the rules R2R has it lined out that way for a reason.
Peace all

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just remember, even if you pay using goods and services, some paypal transactions do not offer any buyer protection at all. review their terms carefully.

Back