Water Change / Back up Return Pump Recommendations

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find (unsuccessfully) a pump that we can use for water changes as well as a backup return pump for our tank on Amazon. Trying to get one that's inexpensive as well as sooner rather than later. Can you guys help recommend any that worked for you? Biggest issue I'm finding is that pumps on Amazon that aren't name brand are showing up with metal screws and are a potential rust problem.

Looking for recommendations on stuff you guys are actually using. Thanks in advance!

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sicce 1.0 for water changes. Not sure what your return pump needs are, but as for moving water this works fine for water changes. In my case it is also the same size as my return pump.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sicce 1.0 for water changes. Not sure what your return pump needs are, but as for moving water this works fine for water changes. In my case it is also the same size as my return pump.

Thanks for the rec. We currently move about 2k GPH, so I'm thinking as a backup, I can get away with 1k GPH. We have a 220g system. I'll take a look at the bigger Sicce, but I'm looking for something sub $100 (if it's possible). :)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther I have a Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One pump that I use for water changes and as a backup for my return. Another interesting pump the Sicce Ultra Zero that I'm looking at for water changes. The Ultra Zero reminds me more of a traditional backup pump that can draw water down to 2mm. Good luck on your search!

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the rec. We currently move about 2k GPH, so I'm thinking as a backup, I can get away with 1k GPH. We have a 220g system. I'll take a look at the bigger Sicce, but I'm looking for something sub $100 (if it's possible). :)
I ended up replacing my return pump prematurely while everything working fine and just keeping the old return pump to use for the water changes...it gave me an excuse to upgrade

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back