Water changes when treating copper

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dealing with ich right now and I need to do a water change on the QT tank. The current copper level is 1.95.

The new RODI water I'm adding needs to also be 1.95 correct? Or is the copper going to reduce by the % of water I remove?

Last question, I heard you need to be quick or else the cycle restarts. Does a few minutes of water change matter?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just do 5 gal at a time and dose the new salt water before adding it back?
This is what I do. Add the copper to the new water to match the level you need in a separate container before adding it to the QT

Right sorry I don't know why I said RODI water, I meant the same way. So when I remove 20% of water, does copper also go down by 20%?

I'm just unsure how to match the copper. So I remove the water, test the QT tank's copper, then match the new batch of salt water?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right sorry I don't know why I said RODI water, I meant the same way. So when I remove 20% of water, does copper also go down by 20%?

I'm just unsure how to match the copper. So I remove the water, test the QT tank's copper, then match the new batch of salt water?
Removing water will not change the level of copper in the QT. Adding water that does not have copper added first will lower it.

Test the copper level in the QT first. It needs to be at the therapeutic level already or you'll need to restart the process.
Then add copper to the new salt water so it matches the QT level and do your water change. You must bring the copper up in your new water before adding it to the QT. You want the new water going into the QT to already have the copper so the level doesn't drop below therapeutic level in the QT.

OP
OP
M

MUB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing water will not change the level of copper in the QT. Adding water that does not have copper added first will lower it.

Test the copper level in the QT first. It needs to be at the therapeutic level already or you'll need to restart the process.
Then add copper to the new salt water so it matches the QT level and do your water change. You must bring the copper up in your new water before adding it to the QT. You want the new water going into the QT to already have the copper so the level doesn't drop below therapeutic level in the QT.
Clear explanation, thank you boss!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back