Water flow and wave maker advice needed

scott9119

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
413
Reaction score
57
Location
Orlando
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 500 gallon reef tank that I'm thinking of upgrading the power heads and install a wave maker . Does anyone have ideas on a few different setups for that? I'm also in the market for a controller too. Any advice on that would be awesome too. Thanks
 
Hi there Scott.

I would look into the Ecotech MP60's for some serious water movement. Also Tunze brand pumps can push the flow very good as well. For controllers I would take a look at the Apex or the ReefKeeper Elite.
 
Will the mp 60 work with thick acrylic tank?

Here are the specs:
  • Flow: 3,500 – 7,500 GPH (13,000-28,000 LPH)
  • Wattage: 10 – 60 watts
  • Maximum Tank Thickness: 1" (range 3/8" – 1")
  • 26mm (range 9.5mm – 26mm)
  • Appropriate Tank Size Range: 120 to 1000+ gallons (450 to 3,800+ Liters)
  • Dimensions: Wet Side- 4" diameter by 3” long. (102mm diameter by 76mm long.)
  • Dry Side – 4" diameter by 2.8" long. (102mm diameter by 71mm long.)
  • Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3.3" (84mm)
 
Looks like it'll go up to an inch thick. Is yours close to that?

The only thing I've heard about the MP60s (as Troy can tell you) is that they are powerful and can suck in fish that swim around it.
 
Additionally, I personally recommend the Apex. Great controller with many options and add-ons if you want/need.
 
Another possibility to move a lot of flow is a wavebox. Definitely a different type of flow then other powerheads. I like the Tunze pumps as well. I've enjoyed having my Apex so far.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new