Water infested?

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Im setting up a new tank and get for free some live rock and salt water from another aquarium.
I was keeping live rock and water in my new tank with a power head waiting for all setup was completed. But thing is... live rock has a lot of aptasia.
Today I decided to drain the tank and kept that water In two large containers (about 70 gal).
I took all rock and soak it in water/vinegar and let it dry, as I dont want to start my new tank with an aptasia invation.
So my question is should I use that water? Or use new water? Its a lot of salt water!

please comment

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do 50/50 too and just refresh it if you’re starting a new tank. It’s unlikely that there is aptasia viable in the water if that is your concern.

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my concern is that water may contein some kind of aptasia spores and I would be transfering them to my new tank.
Today I will continue cleaning all rock to assure none is infected before setting all up.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my concern is that water may contein some kind of aptasia spores and I would be transfering them to my new tank.
Today I will continue cleaning all rock to assure none is infected before setting all up.
My advice though you may not want to hear it is don't use any of the Rock or any of the water. Free isn't always good but pest free is always good. You will definitely struggle with aptasia down the road. So new tank new start. If you want to use the rock I recommend treating it like curing rock. Soak in a bleach or acid was solution. Don't rush settings up. Take it slow and don't have regrets. I wish I would have...

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I soak all rock on a 50/50 vinegar water mix and then let them outside.
I can deep them today in bleach with no problem.
My aquascape will be a mix of this “live” (now killed) rock and new dry rock so the cycling will take place from cero.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about it then just use all new water But yes unless you are bleaching the rock and drying it completely, you’re still running a risk.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Yesterday I soak all rock on a 50/50 vinegar water mix and then let them outside.
I can deep them today in bleach with no problem.
My aquascape will be a mix of this “live” (now killed) rock and new dry rock so the cycling will take place from cero.
I would just be safe and use dry rock. If you want to 100% sure, I would acid wash it, then let it dry outside for a while.

OP
OP
arturoo1977

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, its been a long hard work full of fun day!
All rocks were soaked is vinegar then rinsed and then soaked again in bleach. Then fully rinsed again and sun dry. After that I inspected all very carefully to eliminate any trace of dead things.
I also clean the tank with bleach and everything was rinsed many times.
Old water was flushed away and new water prepared from cero.

Back