Water Mixing Station Layout - Suggestions Welcomed

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am planning on building the water mixing station as depicted below.

Before beginning, I thought I'd see if the experienced and brilliant minds on here have thoughts/suggestions.

NOTE:

- By closing/opening the appropriate ball valves, the pump will either circulate the salt between the middle and low containers OR push the mixed saltwater directly to the DT.

- The RO/DI will have separate lines to the uppermost container and the auto top off bin under the DT (both with an auto-shutoff).

I have yet to finalize the "best" way to remove the water from the DT during a water change / sand siphoning...

THANKS in advance

(I already have 6 of these bins on casters that I've been using, otherwise I'd buy two big storage containers and have a much simpler setup)

WS 1.jpg

WS 2.jpg

WS 3.jpg

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup but no middle can, I put a bulk head and ball valve in top can (fresh rodi) and mix in bottom can. And can drain straight into mixing can by gravity. What exactly is the 3rd can for or each can for? My problem with setups similar to that is saltwater and fresh water mix at some point thru the pump. I know its minimal but over the course of years it could make a small difference. Other thing id suggest is not making everything so permanent or make just using unions to remove cans for cleaning.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the desire to reuse existing materials, but if I was putting this in my house, I would suck it up and get a couple of 55 gallon barrels. It would reduce the space and plumbing required as well as the complexity of the install. For me, history has shown it would only be a matter of time before I rebuilt it and a greater cost than just going big the first time.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top container is for RO/DI only.

I do have a concern that saltwater will slowly back up into it.

I have a similar setup but no middle can, I put a bulk head and ball valve in top can (fresh rodi) and mix in bottom can. And can drain straight into mixing can by gravity. What exactly is the 3rd can for or each can for? My problem with setups similar to that is saltwater and fresh water mix at some point thru the pump. I know its minimal but over the course of years it could make a small difference. Other thing id suggest is not making everything so permanent or make just using unions to remove cans for cleaning.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely hear you, man.

This is in my office at work - concrete floors, etc. in that room so I’m not crazy worried about a leak.

I need 80+ gallons for a water change and they’re 44 gallon containers and I have 6... so I have to use them. I’ve spent way too much on the DT, so I gotta cheap out on SOMETHING. Haha

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUESTION

The piping running from the pump to fill the DT approximately 30’ away... should the pipe be 1 1/2” or 1”?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for changing out 80 gallons of water at a time for a water change? What size is that DT? I use 1" pipe between my water storage and the DT, about 20', and have not ever kicked myself for not using a bigger pipe. Even 3/4" would probably have been fine ...

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessir; 80g water change

The DT is 240

I’m confused if whether 1” or 1 1/2” would be more forceful going in the DT

I’m using a Panworld (BlueLine) 200PS pump

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my 1" line with a Iwaki MD-55 which I think is not quite as powerful as your Panworld. The larger pipe will give you higher flow because it will reduce the head pressure, but what you are really asking is "how much difference will it make?". You can calculate the difference in head represented by the change in diameter, and then look at the flow curve for the Panworld and you'll get your answer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back