Water Quality Question

Thrashed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the past couple months I have noticed a downward trend in my aquarium. I have diatoms and cyano that I can't seem to get under control. I've been in the hobby for the better part of 15 years now and have always had swings but been able to get them in check very quickly without using any special additives. But I've stepped up water changes the past 3 months trying to get it beat because I feel there is something I'm not seeing in tests causing my issues. Today I get this letter from my local water department and am curious if anyone might can give me input on this and to know if whatever this is may be my underlying issue. I'm running a 7 stage rodi at the moment and feel it should pull any of this out, but have noticed my di resign is only lasting a few weeks at a time now running about 100 gallons a week through it
297317508_1074707303452534_5184057354883650718_n.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pollution in your water supply has likely been there for many years. The EPA regulators have changed the reporting level requirements to a number that is below what is present your water for one compound (that they test for) so the water company must provide you with this notice. It is almost certainly been at that level or higher for as long as you have been in your home.

You may still have a legal claim but if your family or fish & coral are not dying from this pollutant then there will probably not be a legal remedy available.

Fortunately, activated carbon and ion exchange resins are reported to be effective at removing this kind of pollution from water. Your tank should be safe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These compounds will be easily removed by RO/DI. I don't think they can be responsible for rapid DI depletion. Not enough even in raw tap water for that, and they won't get through the RO membrane (too big). Most might not even make it past the carbon cartridge as they love hydrophobic surfaces.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back