Water Temp Issue

KimberlyMary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Over the summer my water temp has risen a bit but overall I still found it high.

My temp in March - 80

My temp now - 82

I have a 60 gallon tank with a Hydor 300w heater set to 72.

Current stock incl. 2 Clowns, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, a few Nerite snails and approx. 40 Nassarius snails (they keep reproducing!) but I want to add more now.

I’m also worried as we have a wood stove located in the basement (not near the tank, but about 30ft away in next room) and when the winter rolls around I’m afraid the tank will heat up a lot.

Is my heater just too powerful? It isn’t on 24/7, it does cut out so it isn’t broken.

also, are there any affordable chillers? only ones I’ve seen on my usual canadian fish supply are over $600 which is a lot to spend without saving and holiday shopping coming up.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Las Vegas. Similar issues during summer months. And 82 not horrible, I panic at 84.

When I did HOB equipment up to a 90g, I floated ziplock bags full of ice. It was tedious.

I have a 240+ now with a sump. I added 2 fans attached to a Inkbird and pointed them down to the water in sump. Works great!

I use a tetra heater (auto set to 78), but still attached to the inkbird controller (with the fans). Seems to be working great so far.

Good luck!

OP
OP
KimberlyMary

KimberlyMary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does your tank look. Are all inhabitants happy?
It seems so! I did have 20 nerites when I stocked my tank but I’m not sure if they died due to heat or the lack of algae built up. I now only have a few, I think I originally had a false cycle when I added them and they ate up all the algae with not much new forming. Algae galore now, so about to add some more CUC in for the algae but want to make sure my heat isn’t killing them off

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The constant temp struggle is real. I have the same issues with my tanks. I have to plug heater in over night & unplug it when I wake up to prevent ambient temp.

The temp would rise to 82-83 during the day.

Since moving my lighting up another 2 inches and unplugging my heater every morning the temp is staying at 81 consistently during the day..

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small fan that's part of my AIO system during the summer months and it works pretty good. You have to keep up on topping off unless you have an ATO system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back