Waterbox 15g Peninsula Mini Build Thread!

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,
I am finally starting my build thread! This is such an exciting time for me. Quick background on my reefing experience. I have been in the hobby for about 6 years. I had a beautiful 75 gallon mixed reef build that was extremely successful. I ended up getting married and moving so i broke that build down and I am finally getting back into the hobby with the 15g peninsula by Waterbox! I will be posting every single update to the tank in this thread and hopefully we can build a little community here and engage in questions and spread helpful information . So excited for this build. To start this thread off my tank finally came in today !! It is absolutely beautiful! The hard work by @Waterbox Aquariums is truly reflected in their tanks. I am saving up now for my last big purchase which includes the Kessil A360x LED and some upgrades to the equipment I will be adding. My plan for this tank is a mixed reef with softies and SPS. I am probably going to buy a pair of designer clowns and a surprise showpiece later on in the build! I am just saving some money during this month to make this purchase. Finding a stand to fit this tank has proved to be very difficult so i am still in the hunt. I need a 20x15 stand but i cannot find something just yet. I will also be doing a negative space aquascape for this tank with Marco rock from @Bulk Reef Supply. Stay tuned !! ;Woot;Woot

AA6E02D8-23A5-4501-B6AF-1226BB88F577_1_105_c.jpeg

The tank finally arrived today !! YAY! Stay tuned for more updates!! :) :) :)

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!!
UPDATE:
I Have everything i need to start my NSA (negative space aquascape). I plan on having one nice simple structure in the middle of the tank with a little cave for my surprise showpiece down the line. This is so exciting ! I am going to crush the rock into sand and use that with the low viscosity superglue creating strong joints. The low viscosity glue wicks into the crushed rock/sand creating the the joints. I saw this process on youtube and it looks pretty solid! Here is a little picture of the process! This is my first try at the NSA wish me luck!! Very excited for this journey we are on together! More updates to come!

Happy reefing! ;Turtle :)

5C3E15C1-A6BF-413C-B6D4-C6428F944FB1_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and sounds like it’s going to be a fun build. I’ve never heard of a NSA scape. Can’t wait to see it.
Me either !! I think its kind of a new trend going on since live rock is hard to come by now... basically you just crush the dry rock and put it all back together with superglue in kool 3D shapes ! I just finished crushing the rock today I will be glueing everything tomorrow ! Pics to come !

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers !!
UPDATE: So my NSA scape is almost complete just need some tweeks here and there... i attached a pic let me know what you think !! The only thing i am not crazy about is the big boulder up top which i might change. Its hard to get a good pic since the scape is 3D. Still a work in progress this was not an easy project !

291FC4D5-E93B-44B3-BA5D-BF0407459D14_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice...I also jumped on the NSA trend with my 40 gal build...agreed it’s not easy but I do love the look
Very difficult job and long but so worth it in the end i cant wait to fill it with coral and have some fish swimming around the structure it came out so nice i just need to tweek it a little bit !

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef heads ,
So I basically am ready to start here the last thing i need to decide on is the salt... I want to get it right the first time so i dont have to switch later on... I really have been waiting for tropic marin but i cant any more.. I was thinking about going with Fritz? Thoughts on that ?

;Turtle

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*UPDATE*

Hey reefers! So i finally found the perfect spot for the tank and got everything is all plugged in and ready to go! Cable management is perfect as well! I scored three buckets of Topic Marin Pro Reef salt from @bulkreefsupply which is coming on April 7 along with my Nero 5 powerhead. I returned the icecap 2k gyre pump because it was just too bulky and taking up too much real estate. I am going to start making my water so its all ready to be mixed when the salt arrives! The tank will be filled on Wednesday! Stay tuned :)

E4EC5D68-01CF-40D3-826B-8D31C1D8FBE0_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

So the tank is filled and successfully running! I’m letting it run overnight and let the filter sock catch any big debris in the water from the dry rock. Tomorrow I will pull out the filter sock and start the Dr. Tim’s one and only for a fishless cycle. Once the cycle is completed I will need to find a good retailer for my clean up crew ! Any suggestions on quality websites for inverts ? What inverts would you guys add to this tank ?

Here’s a new pic of the tank. Blank canvas makes me excited

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 7589D22D-4938-416C-8A74-E0D56E8FCC4F.jpeg
    7589D22D-4938-416C-8A74-E0D56E8FCC4F.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 167
OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy, great job so far. I'd seriously reconsider the nero5. You will not have room, especially with your 'scape. It's just too big both in size and in power. I have the nero3 and the highest it goes is ~60% in random mode.
I returned the icekap 2k and I’m going to get the Nero 5... I would get the Nero 3 but it’s out of stock on marine depot and BRS :(

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored a Nero 3 on Amazon wow ! I been looking everywhere for so long ! It finally popped up on Amazon ! Now I have to decided if I want to turn the pump on yet because I just added the one and only nitrifying bacteria and ammonia chloride from Dr. Tim. I’m not sure if it will effect the cycle process ....

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump will create sufficient flow for the cycle. No worries.
You made a nice start and I will be glad to follow the thread.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
I wanted to share how I make my water. I Have the BRS 4 stage RODI with the booster pump hooked up to get the best pressure possible to maximize efficiency of the filters and cut down on that waste water! I also have the float valve there so it automatically makes water when the level is low. It’s a life saver and really helps you cut down on work. Also don’t forget the heater to keep the water at 78 degrees so it’s ready to mix with salt for water changes!

Attachments

• 4BB1C689-71B6-45CB-8CEA-238078EACCEB.jpeg
    4BB1C689-71B6-45CB-8CEA-238078EACCEB.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 126

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice that you have easy access to plumbing and space. A few suggestions...

If you are only using the float valve w/o an ASOV, then you are continuously running waster water so you're water is not actually off. Lastly, if you are only using the float to control on/off, you are not using your RODI to it's best efficiency. They work best when they run continuously and not on/off. With the float valve, you're turning the water on for a few minutes each time at best. If you want to control auto on/off, you can do it with a high and low sensor. Also no need to heat rodi. You can throw that into your SW mixing bucket instead. Coming along!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back