Waterbox 15g Peninsula Mini Build Thread!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice that you have easy access to plumbing and space. A few suggestions...

If you are only using the float valve w/o an ASOV, then you are continuously running waster water so you're water is not actually off. Lastly, if you are only using the float to control on/off, you are not using your RODI to it's best efficiency. They work best when they run continuously and not on/off. With the float valve, you're turning the water on for a few minutes each time at best. If you want to control auto on/off, you can do it with a high and low sensor. Also no need to heat rodi. You can throw that into your SW mixing bucket instead. Coming along!
There is a sensor that came with the pump that i installed on the product water line. once the float valve closes and the back pressure hits 40 psi it turns everything off. The waste line is not running everything stops once that float valve closes and the sensor registers the 40psi. What do you suggest I do?? Also how is it possible to keep the RODI running continuously? Water bill would be sky high too lol

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a sensor that came with the pump that i installed on the product water line. once the float valve closes and the back pressure hits 40 psi it turns everything off. The waste line is not running everything stops once that float valve closes and the sensor registers the 40psi. What do you suggest I do?? Also how is it possible to keep the RODI running continuously? Water bill would be sky high too lol
Ok, it sounds like you have an ASOV. I couldn't tell from the pict. That would shut off your waster water.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it sounds like you have an ASOV. I couldn't tell from the pict. That would shut off your waster water.
Yes it stops my water completely... but I am having a little leaking from the top of my filter canisters any suggestions? I already tightened them as tight as possible but each canister is still drip leaking a little bit and it’s annoying me ! Also I know the entire water system is automatic and it makes water when it detects it’s low but won’t the water sitting in the rodi system itself contaminate the water when it kicks on ? Or maybe before I take water from the pale I should flush the line first before it kicks on?

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it stops my water completely... but I am having a little leaking from the top of my filter canisters any suggestions? I already tightened them as tight as possible but each canister is still drip leaking a little bit and it’s annoying me ! Also I know the entire water system is automatic and it makes water when it detects it’s low but won’t the water sitting in the rodi system itself contaminate the water when it kicks on ? Or maybe before I take water from the pale I should flush the line first before it kicks on?
I have to tighten my canisters really really tight too. I haven't needed anything else but perhaps some pipe dope on the threads?

Don't worry about "contamination". The key is to start out w/ 0 TDS. You just want to have a fair playing field and you get that in this hobby w/ an initial TDS of 0.

How is your system detecting "low"? If it's just the top float valve, then you're not really using it effectively. Do you have a 2nd low switch at the bottom of the can?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to tighten my canisters really really tight too. I haven't needed anything else but perhaps some pipe dope on the threads?

Don't worry about "contamination". The key is to start out w/ 0 TDS. You just want to have a fair playing field and you get that in this hobby w/ an initial TDS of 0.

How is your system detecting "low"? If it's just the top float valve, then you're not really using it effectively. Do you have a 2nd low switch at the bottom of the can?
It’s just the top float valve. When the water goes below the rodi kicks on until that float valve shuts it off.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

UPDATE on the waterbox. I am on day 14 of the cycle. I used Dr. Tim’s One and Only but it hasn’t worked as fast as it claimed. I don’t have any ammonia anymore but my nitrites are still high. Any thoughts on what I should do ? I added a little more ammonia last night and it’s almost gone already tonight which is a good sign. Just waiting for these nitrites to drop! Any thoughts

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem just ride it out. I just added fish and I am good.
So I did a water change and my nitrites and ammonia was 0 so I added one more dose of ammonia chloride to test if the tank is cycled and I just tested now the nitrites are through the roof again. If the tank was cycled I shouldn’t see any nitrite it’s been almost a month already Dr Tim’s sucks :( I just don’t get it ... I guess I gotta just keep patient ugh

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
My pair of Storm clowns arrived and they are BEAUTIFUL .. although for some reason they randomly rest on the sand playing dead which is a concern .. if anyone has ever seen this let me know..but they are eating and look healthy. Anyway I am going to add my first coral. I want this tank to only have THE best of the best corals out there. Quality over quantity! I am thinking about starting with zoanthids . Any thoughts on the most popular zoa heads out there today ? The tank is coming along nicely. Once I get a phone camera filter I will take more pictures and videos !
Happy reefing :)

pic of the new @reefglass skimmer ! I was going to go skimmerless but I do want SPS in the future so I went very minimal. Fits perfectly and looks great. Curious in how effective it is I will keep you guys updated!

BBF6E715-34B7-4C2D-B2C3-1069BB37A068.jpeg

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your using a biocube stand? any more pics of how it looks on stand? I want to buy the tank but the stand is 400$!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your using a biocube stand? any more pics of how it looks on stand? I want to buy the tank but the stand is 400$!
I think it looks amazing. It has a museum kind of look like it’s on a pedi stool lol I’ll take a full picture tomorrow. But the tank is doing amazing my clean up crew is going to work and the clowns are getting nice and fat. It’s almost time some ZOAS :) I’ll take some snapshots of the entire tank tomorrow. I have my neat feeding portal coming in tomorrow I’m wicked excited. Tired of pulling off the entire net top off just to feed.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone
I have a quick question. I am having trouble dialing in the flow on this 15g peninsula. I’m getting a film on top of the tank and when I watch the flow of the top layer of the water I’m finding that it’s not circulating correctly. I’m having a hard time having the water to flow into the overflow box and it’s not skimming the top of the water efficiently. Any thoughts on how to fix this ? I gave the Nero 3 and it’s amazing but the only thing I absolutely HATE is that it’s fixed in one position and it’s impossible to tilt it upward to get the top layer of the water moving. Any ideas or tricks on how to tilt this dam pump upward ? Thanks happy reefing :)

Attachments

• 2CE2D497-9662-4B01-9A45-56321563C949.jpeg
    2CE2D497-9662-4B01-9A45-56321563C949.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say hello to Arnold =) He helped me with my hair algae that showed up during the ugly phase !

Attachments

• 160C106F-C697-4C6E-AA38-7A1B0F4D46E5_1_201_a.jpeg
    160C106F-C697-4C6E-AA38-7A1B0F4D46E5_1_201_a.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers,

I got a really bad case of dinos. Unfortunately I don’t have a microscope to ID the exact type. This is really bad. I’m only working with 15g… I think I am going to try Dr. Tim’s waste away and a blackout for a couple days. I will keep you guys posted. Quick picture below ! If it’s possible you can tell what type of Dino that is by the pic that would be great. I hope we can get through this !

62EF7C0E-D861-45B4-928E-610E4A4E3205.jpeg

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Not good news!

My 15 g is doing HORRIBLE … I been in the hobby for 7 years and I still can’t figure out how to turn it around … I can’t get rid of algae on the rocks I think they are leaching nitrate and phosphate which is feeding the algae and not leaving anything left over for the corals. There was 0 nitrate and 0 phos in my water I had Dino’s that I recently got rid of because of the low nutrients… so I started dosing NP plus by Tropic Marin to add nitrate and phos … the tank looks horrible the corals looks terrible but are still alive. it’s 7 months old I should be past all this crappy stuff idk what to do anymore. I been staying away from waterchanges because it will jus bottom out my nutrients again. I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. This sucks.. I might have to start all over… trickiest most pain in the A** tank I ever had =(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back