R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see more! Looks like it’s going to be a very cool build

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards
Thanks. Been enjoying your build. I’ll get back to it this week. Found the source I’d the leak in an upstairs bathroom.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rishma do you rent or own? Not tryna be nosy... but if ur a home owner screw paying for it just take that whole piece of dry wall out, find the source of the leak replace with pvc if possible and coat pvc with pool noodle , then replace the drywall with more drywall tape up seams mud over it and paint it, or go with ship lap it might be cheaper to buy 3 or 4 4 x8 sections and cut to size if u have a 7.5ft ceiling most run 7.75 or 8 now a days

Boom 180$ fix

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rishma do you rent or own? Not tryna be nosy... but if ur a home owner screw paying for it just take that whole piece of dry wall out, find the source of the leak replace with pvc if possible and coat pvc with pool noodle , then replace the drywall with more drywall tape up seams mud over it and paint it, or go with ship lap it might be cheaper to buy 3 or 4 4 x8 sections and cut to size if u have a 7.5ft ceiling most run 7.75 or 8 now a days

Boom 180$ fix
Thanks. I am a homeowner and will end up repairing this myself. We just moved in this summer. I found the upstairs toilet was not bolted down, the wax ring failed, and that was the cause of the leak. I will replace the ring snd bolt down the toilet tonight. I am going to let the ceiling dry this week to determine if I need to cut drywall or if a local patch/paint repair will fix it. Either way it’s going to be PITA because the ceiling is smooth and it’s a big room. I’ll probably have to paint the whole ceiling.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am a homeowner and will end up repairing this myself. We just moved in this summer. I found the upstairs toilet was not bolted down, the wax ring failed, and that was the cause of the leak. I will replace the ring snd bolt down the toilet tonight. I am going to let the ceiling dry this week to determine if I need to cut drywall or if a local patch/paint repair will fix it. Either way it’s going to be PITA because the ceiling is smooth and it’s a big room. I’ll probably have to paint the whole ceiling.
Same thing happened in my old house before the divorce. Bathroom in the master bedroom leaked and trashed the kitchen ceiling similar to your pics. Biggest issue was like you: big flat ceiling. Kitchen in that house was 54x18 so I was NOT painting the whole ceiling. Especially since the ceilings were 10 feet high over there (big fancy house etc... you get it). I ended up repairing the area and using my paint sprayer and feathering around the area to blend it into the rest of the ceiling. You could not tell the difference in the end. A couple rolls of plastic and some prep work ended making it a much smaller job. Maybe it'll help your situation. Give it a few days to dry out and see what's there for actual damage. In my case it affected a seam (of course) so I had to repair before painting.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replacing a toilet seal is not as fun as it sounds

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C62692D4-C651-4919-AE79-F5B093FEC7D0.jpeg

It will get better. I drilled a hole in the end of the stand and used a white flexible 2” wire gromet. So many wires.

I am using a Kasa Smart power strip. Pretty neat supplement to my Apex Jr. Nice built in features, web connected, timers, power monitoring and what looks like a pretty good iPhone app. If I get really clever I can connect it to my Google Homes and just say “ok Google, feed mode” and it will shut off certain outlets. Not sure how fancy I’ll get but neat features for $60.
6071EADF-DC18-4CD1-9F16-8F6412D72215.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank in position. Used some string to along the center of the light with the center of the tank.
BEC38F0D-7C51-4497-AEA9-B7757F27C8BE.jpeg

Light mounted. I screwed the mounting arm to the wall because the tank mounting bracket takes up too much room in the center Chamber. The skimmer would not have fit. It also allows me to raise the light little bit. The LEDs are 14 inches above the waterline. Not as clean as I wanted but it will do for now.

65A26D68-D0D9-4267-8CF9-93DC210F7AEE.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like I have too much stuff crammed in the back chambers. I am trying to balance between automation and simplicity. There are periods where I do not have time to deal with the tank, and it needs to flourish without my daily intervention. But gosh these back chambers are tiny.

One issue with the tight spaces is caused by the use of magnets to mount float switches and the tubing holder. The magnetic field in the return pump Chamber is interfering with the mechanics float (Reed switches). They get stuck open or stuck closed due to the magnetic field. Too many magnets crammed in too small a space!! This must be figured out before proceeding. The floats control my ATO.

C8AE4721-077E-45CB-9B52-0A1D74747F99.jpeg
E9691828-9215-44F0-9583-3F133DD4B742.jpeg
4F9653BD-7714-4C1D-AB17-F5EF890806BE.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know... I have a 60 cube as well. Not much room under there with a 20g sump and UV
My dream tank is 250-300 gallons with a fish room behind it so I can have the sump elevated and everything at waist-chest height. Crouched down under stand running wires is a literal pain in my back. At lease with the all-in-one I won’t be under there Messinng with a sump. Dreams…

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream tank is 250-300 gallons with a fish room behind it so I can have the sump elevated and everything at waist-chest height. Crouched down under stand running wires is a literal pain in my back. At lease with the all-in-one I won’t be under there Messinng with a sump. Dreams…
Yeah, I was building all of the prior to the divorce. I don't have room where I am now for that so I make due for now. I had 1050sq ft framed out for my man cave with a 14x16 fish room behind the tank built into the wall. This was the wall behind where the bar was going with the big fish tank in the wall. That doorway you see was the doorway into the fish room. I have a video of a walk through of the entire area somewhere.

IMG_1274.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was building all of the prior to the divorce. I don't have room where I am now for that so I make due for now. I had 1050sq ft framed out for my man cave with a 14x16 fish room behind the tank built into the wall. This was the wall behind where the bar was going with the big fish tank in the wall. That doorway you see was the doorway into the fish room. I have a video of a walk through of the entire area somewhere.

IMG_1274.jpeg
Yep, that’s exactly what I’m dreaming. I relocate for work too frequently to take the plunge plus my current house is pretty small but someday…

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Stand is organized!
DFBEAABA-E4ED-4B5F-9AE7-AD6B0F77A97F.jpeg

Cords and tubes are run. Float switches are hooked up. Electronics are mounted.

I was going to do 2-part (that’s what the dosing containers are for) but I have 2 pounds of kalk so I’m starting with that (slim jug in front). I also have 1000ml of all-for-reef and will use that to meet Alk/Ca needs because I don’t want to fill the Kalk jug all the time. Kalk will be metered to stabilize pH.

The open spot will be to mount my 1.1ml BRS doser, but I won’t have a use for it for a while. Already routed the tubing.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back