Waterbox Dream turned Nightmare

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crazy they dropship the tanks. so i dont think they ever see them physically before it gets to you.

Adashek1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so messed up that waterbox hasn’t even replied to this thread... I mean come on dude!!! Why you act like your so helpful in your YouTube videos then???

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have your draining into the sump issue now that the returns aren't as submerged? If not, the silicon may be fine and just not attractive. If this is the standard of work for the manufacturer, maybe it's time to request a refund and find a more suitable replacement?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not get their peninsula unless u want your house to flood

It’s so messed up that waterbox hasn’t even replied to this thread... I mean come on dude!!! Why you act like your so helpful in your YouTube videos then???

I'm all for holding companies accountable, but what specifically should Waterbox do? Argue with users in this thread? They appear to be trying to fix it, we're not privy to all the communications between them and OP.

The silicon in that spot is ugly, the sump overflowed (maybe because the returns were 4" submerged), and they've sent multiple tanks trying to correct the issue. Aside from posting updates in this thread for the peanut gallery, what should they do?

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, we aren't on Reef2Reef checking threads all that often as we handle all support issues direct with the customer and not through Forum threads. We always do everything in our power to make any not perfect experience right for the customer. All customer service or warranty issues are dealt with direct with customer. It is a very rare occurrence that we have issues with the silicone and especially to the extend of this scenario. Thousands of tanks produced and set up and you will find that 99% are perfect and have no issues. As much as we wish 100% perfect is possible it is not the case no matter what product, industry or processes you take.

Daniel Ruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, we aren't on Reef2Reef checking threads all that often as we handle all support issues direct with the customer and not through Forum threads. We always do everything in our power to make any not perfect experience right for the customer. All customer service or warranty issues are dealt with direct with customer. It is a very rare occurrence that we have issues with the silicone and especially to the extend of this scenario. Thousands of tanks produced and set up and you will find that 99% are perfect and have no issues. As much as we wish 100% perfect is possible it is not the case no matter what product, industry or processes you take.
Which is what I told them... I sure if you check every company has 1 star reviews even Red Sea with the same problems. Waterbox Aquariums has never done me wrong. I'm still happy with their customer service and the quality of their aquariums. Which is why I have two aquariums by Waterbox.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to test fill the new tanks to see if anything actually leaks into the overflow? It could easily just be a cosmetic issue and be totally fine. Once the tank and overflow is filled there is almost no pressure on the silicone joint of the overflow box. If you are really worried about it I would just run a thick bead of silicone down the entire seam over the overflow that totally covers the original silicone. If the bead extends from the glass of the tank, across to original silicone seam of the overflow and then onto the glass of the overflow itself it will be water tight. Basically just overlapping the seam. Shouldn’t have to on a new tank of course but at least you’ll be done with it and not have to worry about leaking.

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that Christmas is over I’ll have time to focus on this tank issue again. I contacted Waterbox about just possibly having someone fix/ or fix the issue myself and still have the product covered under warranty so I wouldn’t have to deal with the hassle of receiving another tank. They don’t have anyone locally but, have agreed to refund any cost if I could find someone to do the repair or if I do it myself. I’ve messaged them to see if they can send me a tube of the product they use so that it will match as closely as possible. I am pleased that they agreed to this compromise. A lot of companies would never agree to continue to cover their product with an unauthorized person doing the work. Obviously, I shouldn’t have to be doing this but, with the situation being what it is it’s the best resolution I could hope for. Overall, this process sucked & will continue to until I go through the labor intensive process of testing the newly sealed tank & switching everything over. I think the looming question is, after all of this; what to think about Waterbox? So, here’s my opinion: The tank is beautiful. The glass is gorgeous. The customer service follows through with their claims expeditiously and thoroughly. Their quality control is either non existent or doing a poor job at best. Honestly, in my opinion they are whipping out new tanks & not keeping them long enough to check the caulk once cured just so they can get them out quicker. This problem is an issue you need to be aware of and should take into consideration when deciding what tank to purchase. Would I buy from Waterbox again? Maybe. But, not for a long time. I think this is a relatively new company with a lot of kinks that need to be worked out. It’s a shame really. But, a company is only as good as their weakest link. This experience has made me more of a betting girl & I’ll probably take a gamble on a more tried and true product for my larger predator tank build that I’ll be starting on when this tank issue is fully resolved. Thanks for all of the advice & support through this. I may have to tap into more expertise when I begin the move over process but, I’ll start a different feed for that when I start.

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have your draining into the sump issue now that the returns aren't as submerged? If not, the silicon may be fine and just not attractive. If this is the standard of work for the manufacturer, maybe it's time to request a refund and find a more suitable replacement?
Yes, the draining still happens just at a slower rate. I have to keep my pump running slowly during water changes to keep the water from rising in the sump. It only stops when I drain enough water volume that it won’t rise above the lowest overflow pipe in the overflow.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not an isolated incident. There are numerous other posts on this and other forums of Waterboxes leaking from bad caulk between the overflow and tank glass. The company is generally accommodating when trying to provide customer service but seems unable or unwilling to fix the problem with their supplier before sending people lemons. Buyer beware. This has risen to the level of a documented known issue with these tasks.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not an isolated incident. There are numerous other posts on this and other forums of Waterboxes leaking from bad caulk between the overflow and tank glass. The company is generally accommodating when trying to provide customer service but seems unable or unwilling to fix the problem with their supplier before sending people lemons. Buyer beware. This has risen to the level of a documented known issue with these tasks.
looks like I am triple checking the seal on the overflow when I set mine up...
now if I could only get them to deliver my lights, id be happy for now.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like I am triple checking the seal on the overflow when I set mine up...
now if I could only get them to deliver my lights, id be happy for now.

You absolutely should. Many of these products have these known issues. They big one with the RedSea Reefers is that the seal between the built in bulkhead pipes for the overflow and the pipes they give you to run to the sump often leak. This is easily fixed with some teflon tape, but it is a widespread, recurring issue. Wrapping some teflon tape on some threads is a lot easier than using silicone though.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely should. Many of these products have these known issues. They big one with the RedSea Reefers is that the seal between the built in bulkhead pipes for the overflow and the pipes they give you to run to the sump often leak. This is easily fixed with some teflon tape, but it is a widespread, recurring issue. Wrapping some teflon tape on some threads is a lot easier than using silicone though.
I had that issue with my old redsea, and like you suggested I just used some tape and was good to go.
poor OP, that's a really crappy thing to have to deal with, though sadly an easy fix, IF found before set-up. Thanks for posing the issue so the rest of us don't have to go through it Natasha.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not understanding why the leaking overflow is causing the sump to overflow unless the durso main drain is too low in the tank in which case the sump is too small for the amount of water when the DT back drains. This is assuming the issue of the return nozzles being to deep in the DT has been addressed. If the durso is the right height, the fact that the actual overflow is not water tight is of no concern. I have built a few tanks and currently have center overflow with two return nozzles. I set my main drain height (and the safety drain) at a level that is equal to or slightly higher than my return nozzles. I still have room in my sump, but my overflow is also water tight so it is immaterial. Here is what I would do take the new tank, clean the inside of the overflow real good with acetone (don't breath it unless you also like to "huff" or whatever it is called). You can then put a new layer of silicone on the seams. It will stick, just not as good as virgin surfaces but since this is not structural like the DT seams it will work just fine. The other thing that puzzles me is why are you getting sand in the overflow pipes? They should be well about your sand bed even if a little comes through the bad seam. Good Luck, sounds like you are overdue.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump is way to small that’s the first thing I noticed. And it’s just straight glass no lip on the top. That’s just asking for a flood. Check out trigger sumps

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back