Waterbox Dream turned Nightmare

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, use that standpipe set-up mentioned above and go enjoy your vacation.
The power isn't going to stop while you are away unless the house burns down, so really you have nothing extra to worry about.

Sorry about the flood earlier today. Don't let it get the best of you.
Vacation first!

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of plumbing is in the sump? If your main drain is much lower than the top of the overflow, it will continue to drain until it reaches the top of that pipe. You can put a coupler and a short piece of PVC pipe of the correct size to raise the drain level higher in the sump. It will be louder as it will be sucking air but will help in case of a power outage.

This!
Yup, use that standpipe set-up mentioned above and go enjoy your vacation.
The power isn't going to stop while you are away unless the house burns down, so really you have nothing extra to worry about.

Sorry about the flood earlier today. Don't let it get the best of you.
Vacation first!

I have had my power go out many times and my house hasn't burned down. Cars have hit power poles, ice storms have happened, and I've even had a snake short out the lines before.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with putting a extension on the overflow is it is metric plumbing and I doubt you'll find any fittings in 5 days. Not unless you overnight something from somewhere. I'd turn down your return, if you can and block off the siphon drain and let the overflow one do the work. It will be noisy but the overflow one is much higher. If you can get something to extend the siphon one this would be best case.

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Problem with putting a extension on the overflow is it is metric plumbing and I doubt you'll find any fittings in 5 days. Not unless you overnight something from somewhere. I'd turn down your return, if you can and block off the siphon drain and let the overflow one do the work. It will be noisy but the overflow one is much higher. If you can get something to extend the siphon one this would be best case.
I agree. I’m also going to try to seal the gap once Waterbox has contacted me & I take all the pics they need.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you could survive a week with a cheap HOB skimmer and no fuge (especially if you cut down on feedings). Just hang it off the front if you have to. Maybe get a powerhead aimed at the surface to keep the surface tension broken. That is assuming some of the other ideas given here don't work. The idea about raising the levels of the overflow pipes might be a good one. It's loud as hell, but you won't be there to hear it. Just convert it with some PVC to a straight pipe right below the weir.

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you could survive a week with a cheap HOB skimmer and no fuge (especially if you cut down on feedings). Just hang it off the front if you have to. Maybe get a powerhead aimed at the surface to keep the surface tension broken. That is assuming some of the other ideas given here don't work. The idea about raising the levels of the overflow pipes might be a good one. It's loud as hell, but you won't be there to hear it. Just convert it with some PVC to a straight pipe right below the weir.
My brother is going to be so upset . He was looking forward to spending weeknights away from his apartment & roommate while house sitting for me. My house won’t be the quiet sanctuary he was hoping for.

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this happen to you, I do own a 100.3
Adjust/raise your return lines they're too low, adjust/open the return valve so the level of the overflow will be lower and this reduce the amount of water returning to sump.

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this happen to you, I do own a 100.3
Adjust/raise your return lines they're too low, adjust/open the return valve so the level of the overflow will be lower and this reduce the amount of water returning to sump.
This is my first tank with sump so, forgive my ignorance of terminology:) Are the return lines you’re speaking of the pvc in the overflow?

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank with sump so, forgive my ignorance of terminology:) Are the return lines you’re speaking of the pvc in the overflow?

My bad I mean the return nozzles, raise them so if you lose power or turn off the pump you will not have too much water drain to the sump.

Forgot to mention but I think you have too much water in your sump too

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad I mean the return nozzles, raise them so if you lose power or turn off the pump you will not have too much water drain to the sump.

Forgot to mention but I think you have too much water in your sump too
I also removed about a gallon & 1/2 after that photo. I refilled to the previous ATO sensor position after the overflow not taking into consideration new adjustments to pump speed & the effect of the leak on levels.

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay :) Moved them. Thanks! Anything that helps is appreciated.

Glad to help, that's one think I notice right away when I set up my tank the return nozzles can't be too low or will overflow the sump when you lose power or turn off the return pump (maintenance)

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think the speed of the overflowing sump was definitely caused by that. Rookie mistake I guess. Now just to deal with the slow leak from the overflow & constant sand making its way into the sump through it. It clogs my felt sock every one to two days.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think the speed of the overflowing sump was definitely caused by that. Rookie mistake I guess. Now just to deal with the slow leak from the overflow & constant sand making its way into the sump through it. It clogs my felt sock every one to two days.

Pull the sock out completely before you leave. Don't leave that to chance.

Veetz89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd relocate your livestock into the QT or go to your LFS and ask if they can board your fish while you're away. You dont need the stress of thinking something catastrophic will happen in your house.

OP
OP
Natasha Mcvicker

Natasha Mcvicker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'd relocate your livestock into the QT or go to your LFS and ask if they can board your fish while you're away. You dont need the stress of thinking something catastrophic will happen in your house.
I’m considering setting up another temporary emergency tank (since my primary qt is full of fish in treatment) & putting my rock in a brute with a pump. I know this kind of thing goes with the territory but, this is a relatively new tank bought brand new.

Daniel Ruiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E6C8BB76-FDA2-4239-B05F-E3732D90C4DB.jpeg
47E7D87F-0C65-4DD3-B32C-633AE917DF39.jpeg
First off, this is my first time posting anything on R2R. I’ve been a member for a short while, researching as much as I could for my new tank. A Waterbox 100.3. I was upgrading from a fluval 13.5 nano. I researched for months before deciding on the Waterbox, then found my LFS was beginning to carry them & quickly bought my 100.3 the beginning of September. I set up the tank, leak checked, cleaned, & meticulously set up & checked everything I added to the tank to get it ready to use. It has been a lot of work but, a lot of fun setting up, cycling, & transferring my fish buddies & corals to their much larger home. I even just added an ich ridden one spot foxface that I qt’d & treated while the tank was cycling. So, today I went to do my weekly WC and turned off my pumps and went to get my siphon and bucket. When I got back my dining room floor and sump area are full of water as the sump tank continued to overflow. I turned on the return pump to stop the flood and after cleaning up the mess figured out the reason for the overflow. I finally found a gap in the silicone where the front panel of the overflow attaches to the side panels are few inches from the bottom. So, when the water level goes below the overflow it continues to fill anyway through that gap. I guess the silicone was thin there on the inside & finally let go after 2 months. Of course, this happens on a Sunday afternoon. My family & I are leaving for vacation in 5 days & my QT tank is full with my next batch of livestock. If my power or the pump fails while I’m gone the sump will overflow in moments & I’ll possibly lose my fishies& corals. I have a house sitter but, he won’t know what to do. Not to mention the damage that will be caused to my house. I’m torn on what I should do (non refundable vacation so not going is not an option). Hopefully, Waterbox will get back to me ASAP. Any ideas? Anyone else have this issue with these tanks? I bought new to hopefully avoid these issues...
Something of sorts happen to me and my Waterbox 75.2. I had just started to fill up my overflow box up with water and got a leak at the bottom connection where the return pump line connects too. I email Waterbox and got Jessica... she was awesome. She emailed me overnight a replacement part for Saturday delivery. When I got the part I also saw that they put some extra epoxy around the part. I still love my Waterbox.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back