OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manny'sReef I believe you wanted to see the Infinia's wiring cabinet. Here's mine in all its messy glory:
20230103_183339.jpg

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything held in place with heavy velcro, except the XP8. Because of all the weight on it from the cords, I mounted the XP8 with a few small bolts.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny went carpet surfing yesterday when I opened the feed door--he gets REALLY excited at feeding time. Today he seems none the worse for wear.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on GHA, but much better than it was before. Bubble algae now making a strong showing.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
McCosker's wrasse disappeared a few days ago. Was perfectly healthy and maybe my favorite fish. Tank is covered, so it didn't jump out. No aggression by any tank mates, so I'm not sure what happened. A real bummer.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update:
Repair parts came for the RODI unit; managed to get everything installed and reconnected (I think-will double-check my connections in another post), now just have to mount/hook up the unit and start making water.

Hooked up my Reefbreeders LED this morning. Took a little while and some research; I learned my router was set on 5 ghz, and light requires 2.4 ghz to work. After tracking down my router login info and some Googling, I was able to set the router to the right frequency. Set up went smoothly after that.

Here are a few pictures. Current view of the sump (I hope to hook up plumbing today). View of the tank with the lights on (didn't use room lights, as I got too many reflections off the tank), and view of the electronics cabinet.

Note about the electronics cabinet: as previously noted, it's shallow. The Hydros controllers with their terminators connected barely fit, but when I added the lights to one of the XP8 outlets (not in picture below), there's not enough clearance to put the cabinet cover back in place. I may resolve this by getting those flat 3-prong short extension cables from Amazon, or I may just leave the cover off if wiring looks neat enough--still need to think this one through.

Edit: wife just told me she wants the cover in place. Looks like an Amazon order is going in today.

Next steps:
-mount/rig RODI unit, install plumbing, start making water, and leak-test everything

sump.jpg
thanks for your build thread. i'm looking pretty hard at making a 125.3 or 165.4 my next upgrade. one thing i'm wondering about is if you are dosing, and if so where are you putting your kalk or 2 part containers? there doesn't seem to be be much space for anything, except above the sump for both of these models.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, there isn't any extra room in the sump. I'm using a small cabinet on the side of the tank to hold my dosing container (All For Reef) and pump, snaking the tubing out the back and into the sump.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random update of my build thread, since I haven't checked in for a while.

Plagued by hair algae at the moment. Been doing a lot of reading to figure out my course of action. Apparently it's a nutrient issue--I guess my feedings are too heavy-handed? Reading 0 nitrates and phosphates, but I guess the algae is impacting those numbers. I only feed a pea-sized piece of frozen food twice a day for 4 (or maybe 5--see below) fish. Some food gets loose, but I have a sizeable clean up crew and some coral, so I figure they need to eat too.

I introduced 5 turbo snails, a couple of emerald and pitho crabs (also have some bubble algae), and 10 more Asterea snails a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully they will make a difference. Found out Pitho crabs are a fan of bristleworms--caught one of the crabs munching on a bristleworm the other day.

A few more fish on order from Dr. Reef shipping this week (weather-permitting): A Katherine's wrasse, another McCosker's wrasse to replace the one that disappeared, and a Biota mandarin. I'm a little nervous about the mandarin, since they apparently show up pretty small. I have the pellets Biota feeds theirs, and I'm pretty sure I have a pretty good pod population--the neon goby's belly is always full, and I think he's patrolling the algae, eating pods.

Something strange is going on with my exquisite fire fish. About 6-8 weeks ago, he went missing. Didn't see him for weeks. I liked him so much, I put in an order for another from Dr. Reef. Then, one day, I see him poking his head out of the rockwork. Then gone again for weeks. I assumed he would just starve to death, as I never see him at feeding time. Just saw him again the other day. This is a fish that used to stay out all the time, and was never harrassed by anything. Really weird why the firefish decided to live in the rockwork now. I'm not going to cancel the Dr. Reef order for another. I hear you can't have more than one in a tank, so if the Dr. Reef one ships and I see I still have the original one, I'll give the new one away.

I had an interesting experience with some rock flower anemones from Corals.com a few weeks ago. The RFAs shipped UPS on a Thursday for a Friday delivery. Due to winter weather, the order got stuck somewhere (I forget). Anyway, the shipment made it to Rhode Island (my state) on Saturday. I tried really hard to get UPS to let me pick up the order at the RI shipping hub, but to no avail. Order arrived at my house Monday. I wasn't hopeful because of the delay and the cold temps, but two of the three anemones were fully open and looked great. The third looked OK. I put them in my acclimation box to make sure they'd survive, and all three did. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 took up residence in hard-to-see areas of the tank. It figures that the plain green one is the only one I can easily see.

That's it for now. I'll try not to wait so long between posts.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef order arrived yesterday: McCosker's wrasse, Mandarin, and a Katherine's wrasse. Everything was packaged well and arrived in great condition.

The Katherine's wrasse has gone into hiding. Other than at introduction yesterday, haven't seen it. Mandarin is tiny and really cute. Found him patrolling the rocks this morning, so hopefully finding the pods he needs. McCosker's wrasse is much larger than the last one I got. He's not actively swimming around, but rather settled under a rock overhang. Hopefully he gets more confident and swims around much more. Did come out at feeding time this morning though.

I decided to treat the tank with Flux Rx for the hair algae. I'll post the results in the coming weeks.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Flux RX didn't work for my GHA--I saw no reduction, color change, or anything else that would indicate progress towards eliminating the GHA. Coincidentally, my two Pitho crabs and two Birdsnest colonies died during the application period of Flux RX. No other losses that I can tell though--emerald crabs, porcelain crab, other corals, etc. unaffected.

GHA is getting out of hand, smothering corals and taking over the tank. Did some research, and though some might not agree with this option, I went with Algaefix marine-I'm on my fourth dose, dosing every three days. GHA is definitely starting to turn brown, and I was able to 'harvest' a bunch from the tank this past Saturday--it came off the rocks/glass pretty easily. I hope to get the rest out in the next few days.

I know I need to identify the underlying cause(s) of the GHA explosion, but I couldn't wait much longer, watching corals die. So far, my RBTAs seem ticked off, but everything else looks fine. Other anemones (RFAs, aiptasia) seem unaffected.

As far as fish go, some updates: my Midas blenny inexplicably disappeared. I received another Dr. Reef shipment since my last post: a Copperband butterfly and another exquisite Firefish (the other died from unknown causes--probably starvation, since I never saw it come out to feed). So, fish inventory stands at:

1 Maroon clown
1 McCosker's wrasse
1 Mandarin
1 Copperband butterfly
1 Springeri damsel
1 Exquisite firefish
1 Neon goby

I don't plan on adding any more fish--I think I have a good balance here, and everyone is getting along--even the firefish is out and about all the time. I did put the maroon clown in timeout while the CBB and firefish settled in. Now that the clown is out of detention, no aggression so far for the past week.

As far as the mandarin and CBB go, I was nervous about how well these notoriously picky eaters would do. I must have a decent pod population, as the Mandarin has been in the tank a little more than a month and seems to be thriving. He's so small and with all the rockwork (and algae), I only see him every few days. But looking good so far. Lots of fun to watch when I do see him.

The CBB has been ignoring frozen food (Rod's food and LRS reef frenzy). I started putting frozen clams on the half shell in the tank every other day last week, and the CBB finally gave in and started eating the clams. Hopefully I've turned a corner there.

Next post will be after the Algaefix treatment for GHA has run its course--I'll let you know how the tank inhabitants make out after treatment.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB now eating frozen :) Hopefully it will discover and devour the aiptasia infestation.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped the Algaefix treatment with the fourth application; torches and RBTAs not looking as good as before treatment started. I'd say the Algaefix killed/turned brown about 90% of my GHA. However, some cyano has popped up in its place. Overall, I'm happy with the Algaefix treatment--I haven't noticed any effects on the remainder of the tank inhabitants.

I'm going to add some carbon to the tank to remove any remaining Algaefix, along with some water changes. Hopefully the RBTAs and torches return to their former selves soon.

Next step in addressing the GHA problem is to get more clean up crew--I have several turbo snails and others on order with Reefcleaners that will be in next week. I don't have any herbivorous fish, so I hope these do the trick. Also need to get nutrients under control.

CBB is enjoying the clams I'm feeding him, but haven't seen him pick at any aiptasia yet.

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new updates? I’m currently using the 125.3 too. I think it was overpriced for what I got tbh. Also the new Infinia reef line is cheaper and looks better.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as updates go, I'm still battling GHA. Obviously, I haven't addressed the cause yet. I did install an algae scrubber recently--we'll see if it helps. Otherwise, tank and fish are doing well.

Regarding my level of satisfaction with the Infinia 125.3, I'm perfectly fine with it. I just checked out the new Infinia line, and yeah, it looks like you get a bit more for less money. No regrets here though.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as updates go, I'm still battling GHA. Obviously, I haven't addressed the cause yet. I did install an algae scrubber recently--we'll see if it helps. Otherwise, tank and fish are doing well.

Regarding my level of satisfaction with the Infinia 125.3, I'm perfectly fine with it. I just checked out the new Infinia line, and yeah, it looks like you get a bit more for less money. No regrets here though.
Best of luck to getting rid of the GHA

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an update? GHA is gone; I'm guessing the algae turf scrubber is doing its job, as I'm harvesting lots of algae from it every couple of weeks. I still have a bubble algae problem though. I have pitho crabs and emeralds, but they can't keep up with it. I'm going to add a foxface and see how that works out. Hopefully my bristletooth tang and CBB don't have issues with it.

Another new issue is my coral-eating peppermint shrimp. I added the shrimp a while back for aiptasia, and they did a great job. No issues noted with them since introduction, until now. I added a beautiful diaseris plate coral recently, only to find a peppermint shrimp munching on it a few days after introduction. Now I'm locked in a battle of wits with the shrimp, and they're winning--I'm trying my hardest to trap them, but can't get them into the soda bottle trap. I'm contemplating adding a longnose hawkfish for eradication. We'll see.

Everything else seems to be humming along. I'll post a FTS shortly, after weekly maintenance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back