Waterbox Infinia 125.3 build thread

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new guy starting a build thread from the planning stages to execution of my first reef tank.

Quick background on me: I used to keep and breed freshwater fish from when I was a kid through the first few years after college. That was 25+ years ago. Stopped due to work and family--just too busy and too much travel and moving. I did have a few saltwater tanks back then, but most were fish-only; there were a couple unsuccessful nano invert tank tries in there though.

For a variety of reasons, I've decided to get back in the hobby and to attempt a mixed reef tank. I initially decided on a Waterbox Reef 180.5 as my tank/system. After exploring the costs/risks associated with outfitting a tank that size and the kinds of fish/invertebrates I want, I've scaled back my plans to a Waterbox Marine X 90.3 (60 gallon DT volume). The desire is to to house a clownfish and a host anemone, as well as a few other small fish and a variety of inverts. Will think about corals after things mature quite a bit and I've had success with the tank.

I plan to start ordering equipment mid-February, with tank set up in early April after a house project is completed. These are my planned equipment and inhabitants lists based off my initial research. I'd like feedback on these lists, if anyone is so inclined:

edit 11 OCT 2022:
-tank/stand/sump assembly (Waterbox Marine X 90.3 Infinia 125.3)
-aquascape material & sand (Marco live rock, Carib Sea sand)
-RODI unit (BRS)
-salt (brand TBD Instant Ocean Reef Crystals)
-main pump (Sicce silent 4.0 Ecotech Versa S2)
-ATO (Tunze Osmolator Hydros ATO)
-lighting (2× AI 16HD Prime Reefbreeders Photon 32 V2 Pro)
-2x thermostatic 100 250w heaters with Inkbird Hydros XP8 controller
-lid (Kraken or Toplids)
-test kits
-protein skimmer (Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT or Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite Akula UKS-180)
-2x wave makers (brand TBD Ecotech MP40)
-UV? (brand TBD)
-Hydros XP8 in the future?
-divider & light for sump for future refugium

Potential inhabitants include:

Inverts
-anemone (BTA)
-tuxedo urchins
-hermit crabs
-snails (Trochus, Cerith)
-cleaner shrimp
-emerald crab?
-sexy shrimps & host anemone

Fish--this list is a work in progress, and the order I plan to introduce to the tank after cycling (one each, unless otherwise noted)
(17 December 2022 edit)

-Exquisite Firefish
-bengaii cardinals (×3)
-Royal Gramma
-sharknose and/or neon goby (x2)
-yellow clown goby
-1 maroon clown or a pair of a smaller species
-McCosker's flasher wrasse
-Katherine's wrasse
-Yellow tang?
-Mandarin
-Springer's damsel
-Midas Blenny

-flame angel?
-small reef-safe wrasse?
-blue damsel? (added last, if added at all--I've had these guys before! Would add a nice touch of blue)

So, this completes my third post on this board, and the first of my build thread. Will keep this thread updated as things develop. Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've been doing some research, and came across an issue that's causing me to re-think my plan: The doors on the 90.3 Marine X stand reach almost to the floor. My tank is going in the basement, on a carpeted floor (I know this isn't ideal, but it's the only place in the house it's going). I've read that plush carpet can prevent the stand doors from opening, and the solution is to put the stand on a piece of plywood to get the necessary clearance for opening the doors.

I don't want to do this--it'll ruin the aesthetic of the tank/stand combo for me.

So, what to do? Get a comparable Red Sea aquarium? Their doors don't extend all the way down, so no problem there. Or, something else that recently caught my eye: The Waterbox Infinia 125.3. That tank is on an aluminum stand with (bigger) leveling feet that raise the doors higher off the floor. But now we're talking a bigger tank (85 gal. vs. 60 gal.) at a significant price increase (plus all the other increased costs associated with going bigger). I really do like the features of the Infinia line though--integrated electronics cabinet, aluminum stand, integrated refugium, some extra plumbing, and I think a net cover (none of the tanks on the Waterbox site show a cover, but the press releases/other retail sites online do--I'll have to call Waterbox to confirm).

If anyone has a Waterbox Infinia tank, I'd appreciate any input.

I'm going to have to think about this for a bit.

OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm now going with the Waterbox Infinia 125.3--thread title updated. I won't place the order yet; it's not currently in stock, but I don't want it shipped before the house is ready in April. In the meantime, I'll continue to order equipment to prep for tank/stand arrival and continue my research.

Already purchased:
-Hydros X4/XP8 pack
-60 lbs. Carib-sea sand (I'll need another few bags for the bigger tank)
-Sicce return pump--I'm going to exchange this for another pump due to bigger tank/sump
-BRS RODI system

Remaining stuff to purchase (in no particular order):
-2x AquaEl 200w heaters
-Hanna salinity checker
-ATO (Hydros)
-test kits
-algae scraper
-grounding probe
-thermometer
-more sand
-tank lid if not included in tank purchase
-refugium light
-wavemakers (2x Ecotech MP40?)
-lights (2x Hydra 32HD?)
-sump bio substrate
-skimmer (brand tbd)
-salt (brand tbd)
-rock (live or dry)

Will likely install a GFCI outlet for the tank this weekend.

I need to take a new look at my livestock lists.

Finally, working through the pros/cons of starting with dry rock vs. live rock. Leaning heavily towards live rock at this point; just worried about unwanted hitchhikers.

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new guy starting a build thread from the planning stages to execution of my first reef tank.

Quick background on me: I used to keep and breed freshwater fish from when I was a kid through the first few years after college. That was 25+ years ago. Stopped due to work and family--just too busy and too much travel and moving. I did have a few saltwater tanks back then, but most were fish-only; there were a couple unsuccessful nano invert tank tries in there though.

For a variety of reasons, I've decided to get back in the hobby and to attempt a mixed reef tank. I initially decided on a Waterbox Reef 180.5 as my tank/system. After exploring the costs/risks associated with outfitting a tank that size and the kinds of fish/invertebrates I want, I've scaled back my plans to a Waterbox Marine X 90.3 (60 gallon DT volume). The desire is to to house a clownfish and a host anemone, as well as a few other small fish and a variety of inverts. Will think about corals after things mature quite a bit and I've had success with the tank.

I plan to start ordering equipment mid-February, with tank set up in early April after a house project is completed. These are my planned equipment and inhabitants lists based off my initial research. I'd like feedback on these lists, if anyone is so inclined:

-tank/stand/sump assembly (Waterbox Marine X 90.3)
-aquascape material & sand (Marco rock, Carib Sea sand)
-RODI unit (BRS)
-salt (brand TBD)
-main pump (Sicce silent 4.0)
-ATO (Tunze Osmolator)
-lighting (2× AI 16HD Prime)
-2x thermostatic 100w heaters with Inkbird controller
-lid (Kraken or Toplids)
-test kits
-protein skimmer (Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT or Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite)
-2x wave makers (brand TBD)
-UV? (brand TBD)
-Hydros XP8 in the future?
-divider & light for sump for future refugium

Potential inhabitants include:

Inverts
-anemone (BTA)
-tuxedo urchins
-hermit crabs
-snails (Trochus, Cerith)
-cleaner shrimp
-emerald crab?
-sexy shrimps & host anemone

Fish--this list is a work in progress, and the order I plan to introduce to the tank after cycling (one each, unless otherwise noted)

-firefish
-bengaii cardinals (×3)
-royal gramma
-sharknose and/or neon goby (x2)
-yellow clown goby
-1 maroon clown or a pair of a smaller species

-flame angel?
-small reef-safe wrasse?
-blue damsel? (added last, if added at all--I've had these guys before! Would add a nice touch of blue)

So, this completes my third post on this board, and the first of my build thread. Will keep this thread updated as things develop. Thanks for stopping by!
I have a Male splendid pintail fairy wrasse and a yellow choris wrasse along with a pair of lighting maroon clowns, tiger goby and firefish in my 65G. both wrasses super active, friendly and help eat some pests. plus, beautiful fish. Firefish usually hide a lot, csnt say enough good things about my maroon clowns. moved onto the RBTA within hours of me putting it in the tank

Good luck! it’s an awesome thing!

PS, take a look at reef breeders V2+ light. they’re currently on sale on BRS and LiveAquaria. I have the 32 on mine, dialed down a ton, super strong light

Attachments

• 57D4101E-F35A-4F1D-A74B-F23CA567FA9F.jpeg
    57D4101E-F35A-4F1D-A74B-F23CA567FA9F.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 324

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've been doing some research, and came across an issue that's causing me to re-think my plan: The doors on the 90.3 Marine X stand reach almost to the floor. My tank is going in the basement, on a carpeted floor (I know this isn't ideal, but it's the only place in the house it's going). I've read that plush carpet can prevent the stand doors from opening, and the solution is to put the stand on a piece of plywood to get the necessary clearance for opening the doors.

I don't want to do this--it'll ruin the aesthetic of the tank/stand combo for me.

So, what to do? Get a comparable Red Sea aquarium? Their doors don't extend all the way down, so no problem there. Or, something else that recently caught my eye: The Waterbox Infinia 125.3. That tank is on an aluminum stand with (bigger) leveling feet that raise the doors higher off the floor. But now we're talking a bigger tank (85 gal. vs. 60 gal.) at a significant price increase (plus all the other increased costs associated with going bigger). I really do like the features of the Infinia line though--integrated electronics cabinet, aluminum stand, integrated refugium, some extra plumbing, and I think a net cover (none of the tanks on the Waterbox site show a cover, but the press releases/other retail sites online do--I'll have to call Waterbox to confirm).

If anyone has a Waterbox Infinia tank, I'd appreciate any input.

I'm going to have to think about this for a bit.
You can make a stand. cheap and easy, i used left over kitchen door cabinets since it’s close by and painted them to match.

Attachments

• C5BF4FB3-604A-467E-BCC5-2C7C80A3E2A6.jpeg
    C5BF4FB3-604A-467E-BCC5-2C7C80A3E2A6.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 274
  • 54D99B52-DBFB-446A-9FE7-3DC7275FE2C1.jpeg
    54D99B52-DBFB-446A-9FE7-3DC7275FE2C1.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 318
OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@soymilk are you using the electronics cabinet? Is the mounting surface aluminum like the stand, and if so, how are you attaching your electronics?

soymilk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using Velcro. I am still setting it up right now. I thought about putting a wood board in there to mount stuff into but there’s not a ton of depth.

Attachments

• 96CE2993-07AE-42FC-AF81-0E0B8CAB300F.jpeg
    96CE2993-07AE-42FC-AF81-0E0B8CAB300F.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 327
OP
OP
T

TimSt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up using Velcro. I am still setting it up right now. I thought about putting a wood board in there to mount stuff into but there’s not a ton of depth.
Looks good with velcro! Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ended up doing AI lights you mines well go with some Nero 5s having all that controllability through the one app would be very nice. I have one Nero 5 and 3 16Hds on my 40 breeder and I love it

scwahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up a infinia 165. The sumps are pretty good size. The Velcro is definitely the way to go on the electronics cabinet.

soymilk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always ask a local store to order for you. sometimes they'll cut you a deal

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back