OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Bearded Reef channel is very good. I think maybe start with more bio media than you may need and remove some later if the nitrates are low.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am all setup. Everything so far has gone ok. The only problem I have is a buzzing noise that is coming from the Sicce 1.0. I have tried to move it but the return pump section is very tight and the pump is difficult to move when it is stuck down with the suction cups. I just wrestled with it for about half an hour but it is still loud. I might try getting it out again and maybe sitting it on a piece of sponge rather than the suction cups.

Maybe it will get quieter over time, but right now it's actually very annoying to the point where I would not recommend anyone buy one for this tank. If anyone has a fix please do let me know.

I saw a Youtube video where the guy made a string of media balls on some cable ties and then suspended them on the light bracket so they didn't take up much room and were easy to access.

A few pics ...

(The Rubiks cube is not actually in the tank)
IMG-0787.jpg

So I had some problems with the Sicce 1.0 being incredibly loud. Today I swapped it out for the stock pump that comes with the Waterbox. I was pleasantly surprised. It is very quiet and has similar flow to the Sicce. I will probably return the Sicce for a replacement
On the pumps, if they sit on the bottom of the tank they will vibrate the tank and the cabinent leading to increased noise. Get some foam padding, filter floss, or something soft like that to help insulate the pump from the bottom, should fix your problem. May have to insulate the pump from the sides of the AIO rear chamber as well.

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the pumps, if they sit on the bottom of the tank they will vibrate the tank and the cabinent leading to increased noise. Get some foam padding, filter floss, or something soft like that to help insulate the pump from the bottom, should fix your problem. May have to insulate the pump from the sides of the AIO rear chamber as well.

Thanks. I tried everything. I was told that the Sicce 1.0 pump in particular has problems with noise. A guy from a very large UK online aquarium seller said they have lots of returns of the 1.0, but not many of the other models. The Sicce pump got moved to salt mixing duty a long time ago. I swapped to a Jecod DC pump which is way better.

I have a very small Sicce wavemaker coming tomorrow to fix a low flow dead zone. I hope I have more luck with that.

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received and set up the Reefloat ATO. It's very impressive. It works using a sensor which is held on the outside of the glass by a plastic coated magnetic (which is the only thing in the water). The sensor is not optical so it doesn't need to be on clear glass. It works fine on the blacked out filter section of an AIO tank.

Not having an optical sensor or a float switch in the water is a big advantage. No moving parts or things to be blocked by snails or whatever.

The sensor has a blue light which is lit when it detects the water level is high enough. When it detects the level has dropped the light goes out and if the level has been low for 3 seconds the pump runs until the correct level is reached. The 3 second check is there so if you are working in the sump area and causing waves the ATO will not keep starting up. This is more a feature for people with large sumps rather than AIO tanks of course.

You can set a safety time for the pump to run which defaults to 10 seconds out of the box but can be adjusted. The pump will not run beyond this time and if it reaches it, an alarm sounds and the ATO is now shut off until you manually press the reset button on the controller.

I'm happy I can finally retire my plastic manual top off jug.

IMG_0042.jpg

Hi Gary, sorry more questions… how are you finding the Reefloat ATO? Any issues with it being mounted on the black plastic or whatever its made from. Any other advice for using it? I have one sat in my basket waiting to hit the purchase button.

Thanks
Mark

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gary, sorry more questions… how are you finding the Reefloat ATO? Any issues with it being mounted on the black plastic or whatever its made from. Any other advice for using it? I have one sat in my basket waiting to hit the purchase button.

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark

I can recommend it. No moving parts to go wrong and the sensor is not even in the water. I have nothing to compare it with but I can’t see how anything else can beat it.

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can request a version with a longer cable between the sensor and the control box.

This was a great ATO recommendation and the build quality is superb. My ATO arrived on Friday and Gordon no longer extends the length of the cable as it reduces reliability so it’s 40cm. Setting mine up tomorrow. I should start a thread myself.

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a great ATO recommendation and the build quality is superb. My ATO arrived on Friday and Gordon no longer extends the length of the cable as it reduces reliability so it’s 40cm. Setting mine up tomorrow. I should start a thread myself.
If you start a thread let me know. Would be good to see.

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary, more questions… sorry.

I was going to setup the ATO but my container appears to have a leak :(

What are you using as an ATO reservoir and how much water are you losing a week?

Thanks
Mark

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Gary, more questions… sorry.

I was going to setup the ATO but my container appears to have a leak :(

What are you using as an ATO reservoir and how much water are you losing a week?

Thanks
Mark
Hey no problem

Try searching on Amazon for Cereal Storage Container. They are a cost effective 4 or 5 litre container. I reckon I lose about 1 litre max a day but that’s a rough guess. I will need to use something else if I go away for more than a few days, but the cereal container works well for now.

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey no problem

Try searching on Amazon for Cereal Storage Container. They are a cost effective 4 or 5 litre container. I reckon I lose about 1 litre max a day but that’s a rough guess. I will need to use something else if I go away for more than a few days, but the cereal container works well for now.
Didn’t even think about that!! I was going to get a 5l dosing container.

Thanks fella!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Gary777 how's the tank doing? I'm picking one up, so I'm checking out other builds with it. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gary777 how's the tank doing? I'm picking one up, so I'm checking out other builds with it. Any recommendations?
Hi

Best tip is to forget the supplied filter sock and get a filter floss cup. If you want to use carbon then put that in the bottom of the cup with floss on top. Ditch the supplied carbon as well as it is very dusty.

If you have a problem with the pump being noisy the Jecod DC pump is a good alternative.

Lastly if you want to use Bio Balls consider stringing them on cable ties and suspending that from you light bracket into the middle section. You probably don't need as many as you think either.

Best of luck.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi

Best tip is to forget the supplied filter sock and get a filter floss cup. If you want to use carbon then put that in the bottom of the cup with floss on top. Ditch the supplied carbon as well as it is very dusty.

If you have a problem with the pump being noisy the Jecod DC pump is a good alternative.

Lastly if you want to use Bio Balls consider stringing them on cable ties and suspending that from you light bracket into the middle section. You probably don't need as many as you think either.

Best of luck.
Awesome! Thanks for these tips!

Oh and where should I pick up a filter floss cup that size?

SPlums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Gary, how’s the Jecod DC pump been since you modified it? My Sicce is driving me nuts with noise so going to go and purchase a replacement this afternoon.
Have you got any new updates or pics of your reef?

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Gary, how’s the Jecod DC pump been since you modified it? My Sicce is driving me nuts with noise so going to go and purchase a replacement this afternoon.
Have you got any new updates or pics of your reef?
Hi

Sorry I have only just seen this. I hope you did ok with your new pump. The Jecod is great but you need to saw off a bit of the threaded plastic inlet to get it to fit into the waterbox.

I am fighting cyano at the moment so it's not worth posting any photos right now. I used Vibrant to get rid of some bubble algae. It worked great but I think it can sometimes lead to other problems that need fixing.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gary,

Just set mine up how many bioballs did you put in your cup as I am doing the same without socks? I have put some under the cup, should they be in it? Also put some in the middle chamber. Here is a pic after a busy day/night/ morning. Love it already.

Sam

IMG_20210413_110837_036.jpg IMG_20210413_105342.jpg
It’s being couple of years, how was the light mount holding up? Always think the light is too heavy for the thin glass. This is a hydra 26HD correct?

OP
OP
G

Gary777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s being couple of years, how was the light mount holding up? Always think the light is too heavy for the thin glass. This is a hydra 26HD correct?

Hi

No it's the Maxspect Jump led. The original mount is not that great but it works. I think the newer version comes with a better mount but I don't think it's available as an upgrade for owners of the first version.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 52

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back