Waterbox vs NEW redsea reefer

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking to upgrade my 2017 redsea 250 to a larger tank but am torn between the waterbox's awesome dimensions and the new improved red sea build. I stopped by my LFS the other day to see for myself what the hype was about on the waterbox stand and to my surprise they had a new RS XL300 on the floor. It looks like they changed the building material to real plywood, added leveling feet like WB and still kept the sleek smooth finish edges (Epoxy coat) unlike WB taped edge. Another bonus it seems RS added a type of "armored seams" probably to help eliminate their infamous blowouts. I would appreciate it if those of you that have the newer generations of WB or RS could chime in on the pros and cons of your system!

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a red sea 425xl with v3 sump to be honest no cons both wb and rs are got quality tanks its really up to you the only difference I see is water box has a larger peninsula tank but in my opinion they are both good tanks. Its going to be a hard choice good luck

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If RS worked for you till now might as well stay wif em. Love my reefer. Have you looked at the new CADE tanks? If I was in the market I would seriously Consider those. Algae barn has some good introductory deals. I like there aluminum stands too.

OP
OP
SK_maui

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a red sea 425xl with v3 sump to be honest no cons both wb and rs are got quality tanks its really up to you the only difference I see is water box has a larger peninsula tank but in my opinion they are both good tanks. Its going to be a hard choice good luck

juniorh2r how do you like the V3 sump? I'm currently running a fuge in my oem sump with a DIY baffle and it works ok but just looks too DIY for me. I've had my share of DIY tanks and stands over the years and just want something really clean for once. You could say I am very meticulous when it comes to finish.

OP
OP
SK_maui

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If RS worked for you till now might as well stay wif em. Love my reefer. Have you looked at the new CADE tanks? If I was in the market I would seriously Consider those. Algae barn has some good introductory deals. I like there aluminum stands too.
Never heard of them till now... looks like a sweet tank. Almost looks like a AIO with an added sump? But the wife said only white cabinet in the living room:oops:

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
juniorh2r how do you like the V3 sump? I'm currently running a fuge in my oem sump with a DIY baffle and it works ok but just looks too DIY for me. I've had my share of DIY tanks and stands over the years and just want something really clean for once. You could say I am very meticulous when it comes to finish.
I love the v3 sump I do run a refrugium in it and 4 sock holder it has a removable baffle if you dont want to run a refrugium you can pull it out it's a pretty solid sump

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was torn between the 2 also. I went with the Red Sea xl300. They tanks are very similar in a lot of ways. Water box has a larger sump. Pending on the model your looking at. Which makes it a lot more expensive for some reason.

OP
OP
SK_maui

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was torn between the 2 also. I went with the Red Sea xl300. They tanks are very similar in a lot of ways. Water box has a larger sump. Pending on the model your looking at. Which makes it a lot more expensive for some reason.

I’m curious if WB is adding their ATO res as total sump volume? I run a large top off tank in the garage so the chamber wouldn’t be used. It would be sweet if they installed bulkheads so it could be used as another chamber!

OP
OP
SK_maui

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB all the way. Ive owned Red Sea before and the plumbing in the WB is far way superior.
Exactly what I’m looking for comparisons between the two! Why would you say it’s superior? Better gate valve and dual return? And how’s the noise compared to the RS?

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if WB is adding their ATO res as total sump volume? I run a large top off tank in the garage so the chamber wouldn’t be used. It would be sweet if they installed bulkheads so it could be used as another chamber!
When I was looking into wb I wanted to turn the ato into a refugium. It seemed it would take a lot more effort then changing the Red Sea ato.

OP
OP
SK_maui

SK_maui

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was looking into wb I wanted to turn the ato into a refugium. It seemed it would take a lot more effort then changing the Red Sea ato.
All you would need is an angle drill and a diamond hole saw. But you would be risking cracked sump if it went south.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back