Waterproofing walls

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I am beginning to plan my fishroom for my upcoming build. As it sits now, it is a finished room with painted sheetrock walls and a tile floor. I will be using this room for my quarantine tanks and saltwater mixing station. We are also having a utility sink installed for servicing pumps and other equipment. I would like to consider doing something to protect the walls of this room. My last tank caused some water damage on the wall in back of the tank and this is something I would like to avoid. I'm also hoping to prevent mold and mildew. I've done some research and I've seen plastic sheeting, applied like a wall paper or waterproof paint. I would like to hear from you guys about what you are doing to protect your fishroom walls.

Thanks for the help!

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends how crazy you want to get...ideally you would finish the room as if it was a bathroom...with cement backer board and tile or purple sheetrock(water and mold resistant)...idk if this is a basement or regular room....i'd use pvc moldings on the floor etc...if you werent willing to gut the room i'd cut the bottom of the original sheetrock so it wouldnt touch the floor and wick up moisture before covering it with something better...i've used Zinsser perma-white paint successfully in a moldy basement (after a bleach wipedown) and the mold didnt return for over 10 yrs...and you can tint it....just to protect the walls sure frp is waterproof and i think there might be some slightly more decorative versions out there for bathrooms or the vinyl covered hardboard panels like they use in mobile home bathrooms...like anything else it just depends how deep your pockets are

Last edited:

mark Prieto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used subway tiles and tiled the whole room except the ceiling , floor is tiled with Center floor drain

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back