Watson Marlow Peristaltic Pumps for Calcium Reactors

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think neither the DOS nor the spectrapure nor any other hobbyist solution will compare to those industrial pumps in the longevity department.

I got my masterflex for $300. I built my dual stage regulator for about $200. I have to touch them about once every 6 months. Im a bit of a lazy reefer so it works out well for me and I feel it's completely worth it. The dang thing feels practically bullet proof.

I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a masterflex though. I also picked mine up before they got really popular. I'd love to get more for ato/awc/whatever, but honestly I'm now really curious about the DAstaco and spectrapure pumps for the ato/nano carx feed pump.

I use a DOS for awc and even though it's in my garage I can hear it running throughout the house when it kicks on. Having said that, I've got better hearing than most, but I'm pretty sure that the DOS under the tank would result in yelling from my wife.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my masterflex for $300. I built my dual stage regulator for about $200. I have to touch them about once every 6 months. Im a bit of a lazy reefer so it works out well for me and I feel it's completely worth it. The dang thing feels practically bullet proof.

I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a masterflex though. I also picked mine up before they got really popular. I'd love to get more for ato/awc/whatever, but honestly I'm now really curious about the DAstaco and spectrapure pumps for the ato/nano carx feed pump.

I use a DOS for awc and even though it's in my garage I can hear it running throughout the house when it kicks on. Having said that, I've got better hearing than most, but I'm pretty sure that the DOS under the tank would result in yelling from my wife.

Reliability/Maint with that 6-month window is about what it is for me with the DOS. I replaced the head at about 7-8 months I think. As I said many times, I am not yet advocating the DOS for this though. Water change using one of the higher speeds is definitely noisy. However, not many people (except those with very large tanks) need to run it at the fast speed for water change. At the slower speeds you can still change out gallons a day and it is very quiet.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think this discussion has been quite useful :). There's always new learnings in this hobby and it's important to challenge the paradigms and try new things.

Terrence - I'm curious why you aren't going as far as to recommend the DOS for this application based on your experience. It would seem like there's an opportunity to fix one of the most common complaints about Calxium reactors - that they require constant fiddling and plug offen.

While I haven't set it up yet, I'm quite excited about giving it a try. It would fix the constant fiddling issue and I'm guessing that if the line does plug, The DOS will register a lower throughput, which I can be alerted to, thus fixing the 2nd most common problem of plugging... thoughts?

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wizard will set it for the slowest speed possible to move the set amount of fluid in the configured time period. If your water change is only happening for four hours a day, make that window bigger and the pump will slow down.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wizard will set it for the slowest speed possible to move the set amount of fluid in the configured time period. If your water change is only happening for four hours a day, make that window bigger and the pump will slow down.

I've got it set for 00:00>22:59 4000ml.

52bcc7f68229bbf291c7093a40e43fbf.jpg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Watson Marlow 505s came in today. I was really nervous, but took a chance on eBay. Boy, am I glad I did! :D This thing runs in virtual silence at the speeds I need to run my calcium reactor (8 rpm/50 ml/min). Even at its highest purge speed (220 rpm/1400 ml/min), there is a barely audible, very low hum. Needless to say, I'm very impressed! Thanks again @louisvillereefer for starting this thread and @Breadman03 for answering my questions via PM.

Watson Marlow 505s

columbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
505S doesn't seem to be brushless. I think I saw a manual somewhere indicating that the brushes last 10,000h or so. Has anybody used this model for more than 1-2 years?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, manual says it’s brushed... however at the low speeds used to run a CaRx, it is dead silent.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to unlock the keypad on my 505u anymore. I had it set to autostart with a locked keypad. Per the manual, I've tried holding the start button, stop button and both for over a minute with no response. I've removed power overnight.

Does anybody have any ideas? I've sent an email to Watson Marlow, but don't know if I'll hear back.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea that you need continuous, uninterrupted flow for calcium reactors is a myth. That much I have proven. If you did the math you would understand why.

Now, as far as what pump to use, these are all fine choices. The DOS has its positives and negatives in this application and at this point of testing I am not yet going to give a recommendation but it certainly it is serving me well for almost a year. The ability to fine tune the flow from my phone is a huge deal for me - especially when used in conjunction with four automated alkalinity tests a day.
@Terence
Although I own a ton of Neptune components I was not a fan at first. I just saw most things as the only option. APEX really has no competitor and if you're buying that you might as well go with the components that are made for it. Not being a fan stemmed from needing to pay the return shipping on a new energy bar to be serviced. I was told it could be my fault it wasnt working so I had to pay.

Anyway, now that the dust has settled I'm really happy with my DoS units and I think most people would be hard pressed to find a better dosing pumps. I have DIY'ed your ATO utility pump. I needed to pump water from a reservoir in a room 20 feet away through the attic and down into my sump. I ran 18g wire and spliced the connector. I had to prime the wire but it's been a few months now and I'm very pleased with it.

Why not use one of Neptune's Utility pumps? These things are compact powerhouses IMO. They're not exactly silent either though. After reading through these threads I may create a port in my manifold for the CR feed pump. Spending 600+ on a hospital pump that takes up a lot of room just doesn't seem like an option for me. The hurricane killed most of my equipment and I'm slowly rebuilding. I'm hoping to find the right CR and catch some Black Friday deals in time. What Calcium Reactor are you running @Terence?

Reliability/Maint with that 6-month window is about what it is for me with the DOS. I replaced the head at about 7-8 months I think. As I said many times, I am not yet advocating the DOS for this though. Water change using one of the higher speeds is definitely noisy. However, not many people (except those with very large tanks) need to run it at the fast speed for water change. At the slower speeds you can still change out gallons a day and it is very quiet.

This is my only component I can hear through my soundproofed stand. That said, theres a lot of piece of mind this thing wont clog.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have DIY'ed your ATO utility pump. I needed to pump water from a reservoir in a room 20 feet away through the attic and down into my sump. I ran 18g wire and spliced the connector. I had to prime the wire but it's been a few months now and I'm very pleased with it.

@Roggio, could you please share how you extended the 1-Link cable to the PMUP? I've asked around on neptune's forum and I was told it could not be done. Glad it worked for you!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back