Watson Marlow Peristaltic Pumps for Calcium Reactors

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Roggio, could you please share how you extended the 1-Link cable to the PMUP? I've asked around on neptune's forum and I was told it could not be done. Glad it worked for you!
I was told the same. I used 18g speaker wire and crimp female fittings with a waterproof housing. It honestly works better than expected. If you're really interested I can take some pics and post the supplies I bought on Amazon.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told the same. I used 18g speaker wire and crimp female fittings with a waterproof housing. It honestly works better than expected. If you're really interested I can take some pics and post the supplies I bought on Amazon.

Thanks @Roggio. I would definitely be interested in pics and supplies! I'm not that handy so details are appreciated :)

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my wiring. I simply spliced the pumps wire and used an 18g speaker wire as a jumper. The span is easily 30ft. It's also pumping water 12 feet up and around 20 feet over through the attic.

The only issue I have is I keep getting alarms from the Apex ATO. I think it's because it's overfilling that part of my sump. So what I've done is bought a optical sensor probe holder. https://oceanboxdesigns.com/products/accessories/probe-dosing-holders/?v=47e5dceea252

I'm going to raise it up. Aside from the alarms it's been running great.

Here's the fittings I used
https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Conne...e_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

The whole thing was pretty easy to do. Even if you're not handy, just match the colors and you're good. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions

IMG_5342.JPG

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to unlock the keypad on my 505u anymore. I had it set to autostart with a locked keypad. Per the manual, I've tried holding the start button, stop button and both for over a minute with no response. I've removed power overnight.

Does anybody have any ideas? I've sent an email to Watson Marlow, but don't know if I'll hear back.
Did you figure it out how to unlock it? I'm in a similar issue, can't seem to unlock my as well. Thanks.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unlock after unplugging overnight but it's stop working. I might have shorted the control with all the trying to unlock it.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unlock after unplugging overnight but it's stop working. I might have shorted the control with all the trying to unlock it.

I suspect that my issue is a dirty or damaged keypad. I'm going to switch to my DOS for a bit while I see if I can get repair the WM.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably will get a masterflex, they are more quieter.
Anyone have repair experience on watson Marlow pumps? Pumps motor and keypad works, guessing either the transformer or main board is shorted.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of my wiring. I simply spliced the pumps wire and used an 18g speaker wire as a jumper. The span is easily 30ft. It's also pumping water 12 feet up and around 20 feet over through the attic.

The only issue I have is I keep getting alarms from the Apex ATO. I think it's because it's overfilling that part of my sump. So what I've done is bought a optical sensor probe holder. https://oceanboxdesigns.com/products/accessories/probe-dosing-holders/?v=47e5dceea252

I'm going to raise it up. Aside from the alarms it's been running great.

Here's the fittings I used
https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Conne...e_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

The whole thing was pretty easy to do. Even if you're not handy, just match the colors and you're good. Let me know if you need any help or have any questions

IMG_5342.JPG

Thanks @Roggio . I finally got around to purchasing all the supplies and started the process to extend the cable but as I cut through the 1-Link cable, I noticed 4 wires and in your picture, it only appears to have two wires.

Does your cable only have 2 wires or 4? Below is a picture of my 1-Link cable I cut.

image.jpg

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Roggio . I finally got around to purchasing all the supplies and started the process to extend the cable but as I cut through the 1-Link cable, I noticed 4 wires and in your picture, it only appears to have two wires.

Does your cable only have 2 wires or 4? Below is a picture of my 1-Link cable I cut.

image.jpg

Take a picture of the end of the cord you cut. The cable going to the pump only has two connections. You may have cut the “usb” cable. I’m case you did jump on Amazon and grab another cheap.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to follow up that I got mine unlocked by leaving it unplugged for a few days and it has worked well since.
Good to know! Have not check it for a while, bought a masterflex instead.

adritank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm currently working on a new build and this time will definitely be running a calcium reactor for the first time. I'm new at calcium reactors and have a few questions hopefully someone can help me out.
What are the differences between all the different Watson Marlow 500 series pumps. I see the 520 has a much higher price range than lets say the 505s. Can someone please explain to me what makes the 520 "better" than the 505.
Thanks in advance

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm currently working on a new build and this time will definitely be running a calcium reactor for the first time. I'm new at calcium reactors and have a few questions hopefully someone can help me out.
What are the differences between all the different Watson Marlow 500 series pumps. I see the 520 has a much higher price range than lets say the 505s. Can someone please explain to me what makes the 520 "better" than the 505.
Thanks in advance

It's a same series pump, but 505 is an older generation pump. I don't think "we" (reefers) know enough about these pumps to make a judgement on what's "better", we only have experience with the ones we have and not enough comparison knowledge.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a same series pump, but 505 is an older generation pump. I don't think "we" (reefers) know enough about these pumps to make a judgement on what's "better", we only have experience with the ones we have and not enough comparison knowledge.

Agreed. At a glance, it looks like it's basically an updated control panel. One difference that I notice is that the 505u has a pump speed range of 2-220 on the 220 rpm drive. The 520 is capable of 0.1-220 rpm. For aquarium use, I don't think that the minimum speed will matter to most people. Maybe small tanks running Triton, but that would be a very niche use.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. At a glance, it looks like it's basically an updated control panel. One difference that I notice is that the 505u has a pump speed range of 2-220 on the 220 rpm drive. The 520 is capable of 0.1-220 rpm. For aquarium use, I don't think that the minimum speed will matter to most people. Maybe small tanks running Triton, but that would be a very niche use.

Will depend on the tubbing size you go with. I am running at pretty close to 2 rpm, can time it today if anyone's interested.

adritank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies!
What’s an average speed these are used at with calcium reactors?
I guess what I’m wondering is if we really need that .1 that the 520 offers

Back