Wave makers. thinking of adding more.. back wall to front glass... positions for large reef tank.. Help me decide more or move them.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a large sps tank for years if not decades.. we will not talk about the history.. to much there.... Here is my question .. I have post a pic or two of the tank.. its been through two crashes, MH to led and more... the over flows and the returns are on the sides of the tank.. nothing in back.. I have a few wave makers that are on the left and right side.. the Gryes crash in the back and then there is another pair of Gyres that are on each top that are pointed to the middle ... there are also some other wave makers on the sides...

What I do not have set is any that push from the back wall to the front... I am having some issues getting some flow in the lower portions of the tank for sps and thought perhaps three small ones on the back wall. I have avoided this for some time as I wanted a clean back wall. For those of you that have them on the back wall,,, was it worth it?

Pros and cons please

Tank 11 9 18.jpg

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
above was a few months after I reset the tank after the crash.. here you can see some of the Gyre pairs and other wavemakers.. from jebao and apex..

Attachments

• Par Readings .jpg
    Par Readings .jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Tank Right side no par yet.jpg
    Tank Right side no par yet.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 116

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t see the pics, my ipad must have a bug..
you got sand?
If not I’d point at least one powerhead down. keeps the detritus in suspension.
if not I like some pointing lengthwise across the back

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep that is what I was thinking... I just turn all my wave makers to all on.. and moving a lot of water.. just not happy with the flow. I put two of the large Gyre in the corners to push water along the back side from side to side.. serious water movement but too much like a cyclone .... around the permiter of the tank..

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... Doctorgori.... I have always hestiated putting on the back wall.. as there is so much on the sides... the back of my tank is kinda a see through.. I have blue walls behind it... hard to explain .. better to see the pics.. I might take the larger Gyree and put those puppies on the top and see if that send the water down... before all these wavemakers.. i had my returns pointed at each other.. and they created an Nice vortex down the center of the tank..

Back