wavemaker use

FocusdonHim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reefer for few years but very green - my tank has green hair :). Have a 120g with integrated sump and pump in the back. the pump has a return system that sends water back into the tank through holes in the back wall along the bottom. This creates water flow in the tank.

i have continued problems with algae and have used sea hare to completely control red algae. Since then have limited my white light usage to less than 3 hours per day and the red algae has not returned.

Just bought a little red tipped anemone from lfs and find it needs lots of light. so thinking ill increase my white light to maybe 6-8 hours. I asked the lfs how to keep the red algae at bay and was told to increase water flow because red algae doesn't like that. So gonna buy a wavemaker and point it at my rocks.

I know this is kinda confusing. so my main questions are whether I need a wave maker. and how much light should I be giving the anemone.

Many thnks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds more like cyano (which is actually a bacteria).
It likes to collect in low flow spots.
Flow does help, but you might want to check if either your Nitrate or Phosphate has bottomed out.
Blow it off, and siphon it out.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back