Wavemakers for Peninsular tank

MDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all. looking for some advice on wavemakers to use on my newbuild 36x18x18 (inches) peninsular softy reef.

I want to reuse some of the kit i have already and the tank will be run with all Tunze kit and kessil lighting.

For water movement I will have a Tunze Silent pump as return and 2 x 6040 for wave motion. I don't think this will be enough for the length of the tank so am wondering about adding either 2x 6045 or 2x 6065 to make sure no deadspots. My question is what would people recommend?

I should add that i only want pumps on one side.of the peninsular and want the far end to be 'kit free'.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your peninsula, I would probably recommend a Gyre 200 or 300 series. It'll give you a good even gyre spread especially if you're trying to only go with one pump. I run a Maxspect XF 330 in my 100g 48" tank I'm planning on adding another for alternate flow. We run a mixed tank... SPS and LPS .

Let me know if you have specific questions happy to help.

BRS has a great video on the breaking down water flow between wavemakers.

OP
OP
M

MDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your peninsula, I would probably recommend a Gyre 200 or 300 series. It'll give you a good even gyre spread especially if you're trying to only go with one pump. I run a Maxspect XF 330 in my 100g 48" tank I'm planning on adding another for alternate flow. We run a mixed tank... SPS and LPS .

Let me know if you have specific questions happy to help.

BRS has a great video on the breaking down water flow between wavemakers.

Many thanks for replying so quickly. I had looked at a gyre and i like the flow, but for this build i am determined to reuse what I already have at home ( I have so much kit as breaking down multiple tanks and consolidating for a move). I am ok with multiple pumps to get the flow, they just have to be all at one end of the tank. i definitely don't want pumps at both ends.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze's are great an adding a second would help. The challenge you are going to have with them is the direct flow pattern they create, you can get close to a gyre like the BRS video shows but you'll probably have dead spot issues, I'm sure though that playing with the placement could reduce that. Do you have a pic of the tank? aquascape?

OP
OP
M

MDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze's are great an adding a second would help. The challenge you are going to have with them is the direct flow pattern they create, you can get close to a gyre like the BRS video shows but you'll probably have dead spot issues, I'm sure though that playing with the placement could reduce that. Do you have a pic of the tank? aquascape?
Tank is still being built, but my rockscape will be a 'bommie' style in the middle of the first 24 inches. I want the last.part clear for a carpet anemone feature. Coral stocking will be my collection of Sinularia' sarcophyton, Zoanthids and scleronepthea.

OP
OP
M

MDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think i will go with 2 x 6040 and 2 x 6045 to try and hmget the right patterm. have the 6040s linked so one runs at 10% the other 100% and alternate every few seconds.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that the MP40 has the same velocity as the Gyre?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back