WB Frag 55.2 - Third Time's A Charm?

AndrewRyan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new thread to document my Waterbed Frag 55.2 build.

It's been a long, winding road to get here and to be honest I haven't experienced much success in keeping a reef tank. The first time I set this tank up it went well for a few months, with minimal distress other than working through various nuisance algae. Unfortunately my work travel picked up and increased to such an intensity that I had to shut it down. After my work finally settled down to the point that I could consistently be home, I decided to set up this tank again and give it another go. I was making what I felt was good progress until unexpected fish death overnight. I was moving too fast and it made it hard to determine what the cause was. It didn't appear to be disease and in fact I lost an emerald crab and cleaner shrimp that same night. Anyway, I decided the best course of action was to break down the tank and begin again with all new rock and sand. While breaking it down I discovered a small divot in the heater I was using (looked almost like someone had taken a screw driver and tried to punch a hole in metal. I'm now thinking that metal was leaching into the tank. In any case, I cleaned out the system and waited for the supplies to come in to begin this, my third, attempt at successful reef keeping.

On the last attempt I used MARCOS Rock and dry sand, but on this journey I decided to go with CaribSea Liferock and Ocean Direct sand. I ordered 40lbs of rock and a 40lbs bag of sand. The rock turned out to be way more than I needed with three arches and a base rock not utilized. I imagine it will be the same story with the sand, but I am aiming for an inch and half or so of sand.

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

I have the following equipment for use:

Two filter cups (preference over filter socks)
AI Hydra 32HD
AI Nero 3
Duetto ATO
BRS 200 watt titanium heaters w/ Inkbird controller (changed out for last heater which may have been the issue)
Sicce Syncra 2.0 pump (568 gph)
Bubble Magus Curve 5 protein skimmer (still eyeing this suspiciously since I installed it in the system the evening before the overnight deaths)
Skimmer stand
Hanna test kits (Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, HR Nitrate, LR Phosphate)
Salifert Test Kits (Ammonia, Nitrite)

I have a 40 gallon brute in the basement I am using for mixing salt water and several 5 gallon INC totes for hauling water. The water station is in the basement (unfortunate but necessary bc wife) and the tank is in the living room in a great location to be viewed from living area, dining room and kitchen. Hauling 5 gallon buckets up a flight of stairs isn't the best but definitely doable given that 5 gallons is a 10% water change weekly.

I have always used Tropic Marin Pro in the past but I have ordered some Fritz RPM for this build. My thought is that the higher alkalinity might be nice and the lower price certainly doesn't hurt.

My plan is to wait until I have a full stock of saltwater mixed, then add the live sand and water. I have Fritz Turbostart 900 and Fritz Fishless Fuel for a fishless cycle. I have been told that to succeed in this hobby you need patience and persistence. I have not been great in the patience department, so my hope is that I have learned to go slower on this my third attempt to get this tank up and running (at least that's persistence).

I am very grateful for any suggestions or guidance from the experienced reefers who are willing to take the time.

Thanks!

-Andrew

Last edited:

Wrothgar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new thread to document my Waterbed Frag 55.2 build.

It's been a long, winding road to get here and to be honest I haven't experienced much success in keeping a reef tank. The first time I set this tank up it went well for a few months, with minimal distress other than working through various nuisance algae. Unfortunately my work travel picked up and increased to such an intensity that I had to shut it down. After my work finally settled down to the point that I could consistently be home, I decided to set up this tank again and give it another go. I was making what I felt was good progress until unexpected fish death overnight. I was moving too fast and it made it hard to determine what the cause was. It didn't appear to be disease and in fact I lost an emerald crab and cleaner shrimp that same night. Anyway, I decided the best course of action was to break down the tank and begin again with all new rock and sand. While breaking it down I discovered a small divot in the heater I was using (looked almost like someone had taken a screw driver and tried to punch a hole in metal. I'm now thinking that metal was leaching into the tank. In any case, I cleaned out the system and waited for the supplies to come in to begin this, my third, attempt at successful reef keeping.

On the last attempt I used MARCOS Rock and dry sand, but on this journey I decided to go with CaribSea Liferock and Ocean Direct sand. I ordered 40lbs of rock and a 40lbs bag of sand. The rock turned out to be way more than I needed with three arches and a base rock not utilized. I imagine it will be the same story with the sand, but I am aiming for an inch and half or so of sand.

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

I have the following equipment for use:

Two filter cups (preference over filter socks)
AI Hydra 32HD
AI Nero 3
Duetto ATO
BRS 200 watt titanium heaters w/ Inkbird controller (changed out for last heater which may have been the issue)
Sicce Syncra 2.0 pump (568 gph)
Bubble Magus Curve 5 protein skimmer (still eyeing this suspiciously since I installed it in the system the evening before the overnight deaths)
Skimmer stand
Hanna test kits (Alk, Calcium, Magnesium, HR Nitrate, LR Phosphate)
Salifert Test Kits (Ammonia, Nitrite)

I have a 40 gallon brute in the basement I am using for mixing salt water and several 5 gallon INC totes for hauling water. The water station is in the basement (unfortunate but necessary bc wife) and the tank is in the living room in a great location to be viewed from living area, dining room and kitchen. Hauling 5 gallon buckets up a flight of stairs isn't the best but definitely doable given that 5 gallons is a 10% water change weekly.

I have always used Tropic Marin Pro in the past but I have ordered some Fritz RPM for this build. My thought is that the higher alkalinity might be nice and the lower price certainly doesn't hurt.

My plan is to wait until I have a full stock of saltwater mixed, then add the live sand and water. I have Fritz Turbostart 900 and Fritz Fishless Fuel for a fishless cycle. I have been told that to succeed in this hobby you need patience and persistence. I have not been great in the patience department, so my hope is that I have learned to go slower on this my third attempt to get this tank up and running (at least that's persistence).

I am very grateful for any suggestions or guidance from the experienced reefers who are willing to take the time.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Take your time let all that brew good, you typically don't want to ditch the rock and sand that has been cycling because it's building up with the necessary bacteria to push your nitrogen cycle, the trick is to get denitrifying bacteria going for the ammonia to turn to nitrite then get nitrobacter to turn nitrite to nitrate and dissipate to nitrogen gas. With that big of a tank this could take 4-6 weeks or possibly longer. also temperature plays a big part if you don't have livestock I'd crank it to 78° and let that stuff stew good. Also power heads will help the cycle too more oxygen exchange will get nitrogen gas out. Good luck lmk if you have any questions.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back