We’re going into the deep end now

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After over a month of setting up my tank, making sure the parameters are all set, and placing my order online I’ve finally dipped into the world of saltwater aquariums. Two clowns, an exquisite firefish, and a cleaner shrimp and the first wave of livestock and I couldn’t be more excited and stressed. I’m sure it’ll get better as I go along but I can’t help but feel like I have to watch the tank 24/7 just to make sure nothing bad happens :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I’ll be giving everything a couple weeks so that the tank can adjust to the new additions before I have the rest of the fish that I picked out sent over. But in the meantime, cheers to finally having a childhood dream fulfilled!

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby, great looking scape, and congratulations on fulfilling your childhood dream!!! You should consider making a build thread so we can follow along with your progress!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Great looking start! I would recommend getting a couple fish every couple of weeks, so your bio load can catch up to additions. You are off to a great start! Any corals in your future, or are you going for a fish only tank? There is no wrong choice here, I have had both. Good luck . There is endless knowledge here.

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After over a month of setting up my tank, making sure the parameters are all set, and placing my order online I’ve finally dipped into the world of saltwater aquariums. Two clowns, an exquisite firefish, and a cleaner shrimp and the first wave of livestock and I couldn’t be more excited and stressed. I’m sure it’ll get better as I go along but I can’t help but feel like I have to watch the tank 24/7 just to make sure nothing bad happens :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I’ll be giving everything a couple weeks so that the tank can adjust to the new additions before I have the rest of the fish that I picked out sent over. But in the meantime, cheers to finally having a childhood dream fulfilled!

Congrats! I have a similar story and just started my first tank Jan. 2023. Getting ready to move everything into a 65G in a few weeks and install a DIY sump.

Adding new livestock always gives me anxiety. It still has not gotten easier to not worry about everything.

The people here are kind, knowledgeable, and fantastic when it comes to supporting new hobbyists every step of the way. Welcome! ✨

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great start!

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby, great looking scape, and congratulations on fulfilling your childhood dream!!! You should consider making a build thread so we can follow along with your progress!

I hadn’t thought of that, I’ll probably make one in a bit when I have the time. And after I see what’s going on with my shrimp :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Welcome! Great looking start! I would recommend getting a couple fish every couple of weeks, so your bio load can catch up to additions. You are off to a great start! Any corals in your future, or are you going for a fish only tank? There is no wrong choice here, I have had both. Good luck . There is endless knowledge here.

Yeah I’m working with Dr. Reef to space out the order so that the boo load doesn’t get overwhelmed. I would have liked to try some corals, but it’s illegal here. I’m totally fine with running a fowlr though, maybe I can add some macroalgae in the future but we’ll see.

Congrats! I have a similar story and just started my first tank Jan. 2023. Getting ready to move everything into a 65G in a few weeks and install a DIY sump.

Adding new livestock always gives me anxiety. It still has not gotten easier to not worry about everything.

The people here are kind, knowledgeable, and fantastic when it comes to supporting new hobbyists every step of the way. Welcome! ✨

Yeah I’m slightly panicing over my shrimp at the moment since I’m not sure if it’s stuck in a molt or not, that and trying to get everything to eat. It’s been a whole ordeal to see if they’ll eat frozen, flake, etc. It seems like no matter what I feed they seem to be interested initially but then they start to spit it out.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Looks great. Keep your hands out as much as you can

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t thought of that, I’ll probably make one in a bit when I have the time. And after I see what’s going on with my shrimp :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Yeah I’m working with Dr. Reef to space out the order so that the boo load doesn’t get overwhelmed. I would have liked to try some corals, but it’s illegal here. I’m totally fine with running a fowlr though, maybe I can add some macroalgae in the future but we’ll see.

Yeah I’m slightly panicing over my shrimp at the moment since I’m not sure if it’s stuck in a molt or not, that and trying to get everything to eat. It’s been a whole ordeal to see if they’ll eat frozen, flake, etc. It seems like no matter what I feed they seem to be interested initially but then they start to spit it out.
*hugs*

Possibly still settling in. They all have their own unique personalities too. It gets so much better. The anxiety is because we care about them. I think because we care so much, is why we stress.

Things happen, as in nature, but the love and respect I have for my little marine babies is unquestionable. The little guys I have right now definitely feel that, I think.

I hope. Lol ✨

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the shrimp, still kicking?
Went off into the big ocean in the sky sometime last night. I went and tested my params at my LFS and they didn't find anything wrong either so I'm just gonna chalk it up to shipping stress or one of those things that just happen sometimes.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*hugs*

Possibly still settling in. They all have their own unique personalities too. It gets so much better. The anxiety is because we care about them. I think because we care so much, is why we stress.

Things happen, as in nature, but the love and respect I have for my little marine babies is unquestionable. The little guys I have right now definitely feel that, I think.

I hope. Lol ✨
Yeah it's been a while thing trying to see what mix of frozen/flake/pellet food to use to get them to eat. That and figuring out how much I can put in per feeding to not overload the system :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slow and keep caring about each creature. Even "pests" are living creatures that didn't seek captivity. Lose that care, may as well reconsider your decision to care for these animals. Because they're pretty isnt a good enough answer.
You'll be fine. GO SLOW. Think months and years, not days and weeks

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far shrimp get labeled as easy and beginner friendly though I’ve found they do best after a couple months of a tank establishing. That goes for any clean up crew honestly I’ve lost many cuc members in new tank setups but now after adding later they do well. Great plan on adding slow for the filter to build up. That’s the number one thing most new members make the mistake of. Don’t impulse buy anything and research as much as possible and you will be successful.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. First time I added a shrimp it jumped out of my hand onto floor then seemed to go in shock when I tossed him in. He twitched a couple times and was eaten within 1st second. I was shocked

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went off into the big ocean in the sky sometime last night. I went and tested my params at my LFS and they didn't find anything wrong either so I'm just gonna chalk it up to shipping stress or one of those things that just happen sometimes.
I am no expert by any means, but I lost 2 cleaner shrimp prior to Mr. Whiskers (current shrimp) and 2 Emerald crabs.

First time I bought one of each online from reputable vendor. 2nd time I purchased one of each from my LFS a few months later.
Same results.

I went back to my LFS and they tested my water parameters which were great. I learned that inverts are more sensitive than fish and I was drip acclimating them like I did new fish. LFS recommended temp acclimating them and then putting them directly into the tank.

I brought Mr. Whiskers home that same day and did exactly what they said (I did check salinity to ensure mine was within acceptable range to put him directly into the tank). He’s been healthy and happy ever since.

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slow and keep caring about each creature. Even "pests" are living creatures that didn't seek captivity. Lose that care, may as well reconsider your decision to care for these animals. Because they're pretty isnt a good enough answer.
Love this. Totally agree.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner usually means after a tank has a modicum of an ecosystem even if it is not truly full the real cycle yet. You are likely just through the first part of the cycle (ready for a few fish) and you will need many more months to progress to where the cycle is actually cyclical and has a breath and depth of an ecosystem to handle a dynamic event. I would stick to just fish for now until the uglies come and go a bit.

Inverts usually can not handle the inconsistency of what is coming. The tank is not yet stable and you cannot test for many of the things that will kill shrimp.

This is just general, but snails/hermits at ugly phase time and then larger crabs and shrimp when the uglies calm down a bit.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the time being I'm focusing on making sure everything is feeding well and the parameters are staying stable.

Looks great so far shrimp get labeled as easy and beginner friendly though I’ve found they do best after a couple months of a tank establishing. That goes for any clean up crew honestly I’ve lost many cuc members in new tank setups but now after adding later they do well. Great plan on adding slow for the filter to build up. That’s the number one thing most new members make the mistake of. Don’t impulse buy anything and research as much as possible and you will be successful.

Yeah, from what I read in the posts here and elsewhere it was best to add cuc/algae eaters only when the algae really showed up so that was the plan. I guess I just mistakenly thought that the cleaner shrimp would be fine since it scavenges off leftover food from feedings so the plan was to have it pick off potential overfeeds while I am trying to figure out just how much food to put in the tank at first.

I am no expert by any means, but I lost 2 cleaner shrimp prior to Mr. Whiskers (current shrimp) and 2 Emerald crabs.

First time I bought one of each online from reputable vendor. 2nd time I purchased one of each from my LFS a few months later.
Same results.

I went back to my LFS and they tested my water parameters which were great. I learned that inverts are more sensitive than fish and I was drip acclimating them like I did new fish. LFS recommended temp acclimating them and then putting them directly into the tank.

I brought Mr. Whiskers home that same day and did exactly what they said (I did check salinity to ensure mine was within acceptable range to put him directly into the tank). He’s been healthy and happy ever since.

Hopefully the next go around I'll have better luck!

Beginner usually means after a tank has a modicum of an ecosystem even if it is not truly full the real cycle yet. You are likely just through the first part of the cycle (ready for a few fish) and you will need many more months to progress to where the cycle is actually cyclical and has a breath and depth of an ecosystem to handle a dynamic event. I would stick to just fish for now until the uglies come and go a bit.

Inverts usually can not handle the inconsistency of what is coming. The tank is not yet stable and you cannot test for many of the things that will kill shrimp.

This is just general, but snails/hermits at ugly phase time and then larger crabs and shrimp when the uglies calm down a bit.

Not too sure if I want to have hermits or crabs in, but snails most definitely! I'm thinking of adding snails and pods on the first go around when everything is ready, but forsure only fish for now.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time being I'm focusing on making sure everything is feeding well and the parameters are staying stable.

Yeah, from what I read in the posts here and elsewhere it was best to add cuc/algae eaters only when the algae really showed up so that was the plan. I guess I just mistakenly thought that the cleaner shrimp would be fine since it scavenges off leftover food from feedings so the plan was to have it pick off potential overfeeds while I am trying to figure out just how much food to put in the tank at first.

Hopefully the next go around I'll have better luck!

Not too sure if I want to have hermits or crabs in, but snails most definitely! I'm thinking of adding snails and pods on the first go around when everything is ready, but forsure only fish for now.
I would start the pods now. BRS did a video using multiple tanks that showed the benefits of adding pods early. Take a look on YouTube. Looks like you are off to a great start and have the patience to be successful.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start the pods now. BRS did a video using multiple tanks that showed the benefits of adding pods early. Take a look on YouTube. Looks like you are off to a great start and have the patience to be successful.

I remember watching that video, or at least one like it from them. I think it was the video about adding pods to combat/skip the uglies. I was just a little hesitant on seeding just yet in case there wasn't enough food for them in the tank to sustain a population with.

If only the rest of my family shared that patience. If I had a dollar for every time I was teased about when I would add in fish while the tank cycled... :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back