We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to try this method, but initially the blackout period held me back. Now I am reading quite a few horror stories about Dr Tim's wasteaway killing all the fish in a tank because people weren't dosing at half strength initially or they didn't shut the skimmer off, etc. It looks like the OP's directions are to initially dose at full strength and even though it's only 2 doses, it does give me pause. I hate my dinos, but they aren't killing anything - just an eyesore and I do love my fish much more than I hate dinos. The refresh being toxic to snails and shrimp give me pause too. I tried twilliard's 3-day metro and it didn't really work - they came back. Looks like other who are trying 10 days aren't getting much luck either. manny, are you still dino free?
So they are back. Thought i was safe to dose AA but after the third AA dose i started seeing them. Stopped aminos and did a dose of waste away..they receded a little bit..but it's only been 2 days. See if this works out

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to repeat the process 1 more time manny. You have any pics?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed it is true that you can see in the tank which strain you have.
I have seen hundreds of samples under the microscope and it all comes down to 3 different strains.
For instance the most toxic strain is the ones that form long thin brown strings reaching up to 3" in length. No air bubbles for the most part and when disturbed "disappear"

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, mine seems to not be toxic, but it annoys the coral, growingon it. Long brown strings and tons of bubbles.i scrubed alot of it before blacking out...48hrs to go

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24hrs to go and i peeked in, fish are alive. Nems look unhappy...lol. im antsy but ready....well 24hrs 13minutes left to be exact

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for when the lights go back on? Can i dose aminos and coral foods imediatley?
I would bring your system back as soon as you can after this.
We all must remember something about a blackout.

The zooanthelle within corals will also suffer during this process.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights back on...72hr blackout...

Should some things still have the brow stringy poo on them? Promarily xenia and a few patches here and there. Lights hae been running almost 3hr and no formation of bubble

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but if the stringy poo is still there, the dino is still there

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then, ill give the tank a week or two to stabilize again and ill try the dr. Tims method with a black out. Then if that dails i can only.hope the metro has a chance? Lol

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I would give it some time, monitor everything, let it settle and then go for it!

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160722_154425.jpg
as you see the brown strings all over my gorgonians. I cleaned them off as well as powerhead blasted the rocks.

The bubbles are also returning.

I noticed a few problems maybe leading to the outbreak. My tank never had them. And i transferred to the 90. No new corals or rocks. I used clean dry rock. So i questioned how they just now made an appearance. My ph as of last weak tested low. 7.8. I have since raised it to 8.5 as of today. Any correlation?

Also I read an interesting article about using nitrates to beat them. I believe the dinos are depleting my phosphates rapidly as they also read 0 despite my over feeding. My nitrates also do not register. In the article it tells that some dinos do not tollerate raised ph. Where other are suseptable to nitrates in the 3ppm range cause the growth of the dino to exceed its capability. Then it explodes.

Just trying to talk my personal situation out to some day add to the help in the fight

Last edited:
OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160722_154425.jpg
as you see the brown strings all over my gorgonians. I cleaned them off as well as powerhead blasted the rocks.

The bubbles are also returning.

I noticed a few problems maybe leading to the outbreak. My tank never had them. And i transferred to the 90. No new corals or rocks. I used clean dry rock. So i questioned how they just now made an appearance. My ph as of last weak tested low. 7.8. I have since raised it to 8.5 as of today. Any correlation?

Also I read an interesting article about using nitrates to beat them. I believe the dinos are depleting my phosphates rapidly as they also read 0 despite my over feeding. My nitrates also do not register. In the article it tells that some dinos do not tollerate raised ph. Where other are suseptable to nitrates in the 3ppm range cause the growth of the dino to exceed its capability. Then it explodes.

Just trying to talk my personal situation out to some day add to the help in the fight

Ya they are definitely still there, sucks but I know your pain! I have tryed to come up with a reason why dino decides to show itself but unfortunately I don't have any answer. I've not heard of using nitrate as a defense against them. Can you post a link? I would like to give it a read.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are back. Thought i was safe to dose AA but after the third AA dose i started seeing them. Stopped aminos and did a dose of waste away..they receded a little bit..but it's only been 2 days. See if this works out

This is not good news to my treatment manny, Im sorry they are back. What's the tank looking like now bud? Are you going to repeat the process again? I know you had a bad case of dino so maybe 2 treatments will be a good thing. As in twilliards thread, he has discovered no 2 cases are the same so maybe this time will be the knockout punch. I too had a really bad case of dino too but it never came back after 1 treatment. Maybe I was lucky, maybe not. Please keep me updated brotha

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back