We need a downvote button....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine someone downvoting Randy and the riot it would cause.
Sad thing. I read someone questioning his information yesterday. I don't think they understood the platform from where he posts. :)

I just left the post without any hands or faces. At times I still think we need fingers perhaps?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hardly a reefing guru, but I have seen popularity contest on these forums such that some “Forum gurus” get far more street cred than they deserve.....
same thing happens in reverse; one bad post and you are ostracized for life....
...I’d hold off on the thumbs down thing....stuff could go south or get retaliatory

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone is correct 100% of the time. People are human and humans make mistakes.

However, I would like to see bad advice removed from the forum. If someone is just plain wrong and everyone can see it. That bad advice needs to be removed. Trying to say it's a persons "OPINION" is a cop-out for not willing to police the forum from bad advice. This is an area where the moderators could improve this forum but I have seen them choose to leave things be.

For instance: My RODI system has 6TDS on the output, is this ok? Followed by 10 posts saying it's ok... and 1 post saying NO, it's not ok. Who's correct? Both? It depends on the system? My point is in this case it's an endless debate.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread still has implications big time for RTR and feedback eval in general.

regarding upvotes vs downvotes and how the balance influences reef influencing:

the truth is with a downvote button I would be tied with upvotes or possibly inverted on count, 9k all up votes zero down compared to 11k posts gives me a favor slant

in true metrics measurement as a reef nonconformist I’d have ratios of 11k posts, 13k downvotes, and all the current upvotes from people who no longer allow reefs to be taken over or believe their cycle ever stalled.

by eliminating downvotes I am able to influence more reef action and from that more reefs are either going to live or be killed. Time will tell and thanks for the favorable rating system.

even with a load of downvotes, that still would not change the number of cycles called or reefs restored, so in the end I think they would not reflect # of reefs successfully remote piloted, they‘d be the measure against nonconformity only. impulsive down clickers, should they be valued and weighed? What if someone spouts crazy stuff that kills reefs, why allow only upvotes for their method?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s instate this: helped my reef vs didn’t help my reef button

take away both + and - nonspecific evals.

:)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A downvote button is not something the staff is considering at this time. We've reviewed the idea, but we feel it will create a more negative than positive effect here.

Little_Red_Ryan_Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been seeing a lot of bad and plain down WRONG advice. It would be great if we could downvote comments like those. It would make it easier for people asking questions to see what is actually helpful and what is not. Maybe make it so 15 downvotes hides the post unless you click it. Kinda like reddit

I think the idea of write and wrong can be dictated by people that profit from methodologies. So we need to be careful to allow open discussion to determine what is real and what is dictated by strong marketing agendas.

Allowing people to down-vote unconventional thought stifles innovation and change. For years in this hobby there was a common theme that revolved around 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate. If you had any amount of either, you were a bad reef keeper. If people would have down-voted the first few people communicating better color and growth with 10 nitrate and .03 phosphate, we would only have the uln systems as a philosophy. Dinoflagellates would be an even larger problem in our hobby and corals would be starving if the tank owner did not understand uln methods completely.

There are many more examples of that throughout this hobby.

I do understand your frustration though.

The additional problem is that what works for your tank might not work for mine. The flow of good and bad ideas might bring about change.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly think this forum would benefit from something like this, but it would be a major undertaking to monitor it. A big problem with this site is that it is searchable by Google. There is a lot of misinformation going back however long this site has been up. It just happens.

I agree that downvotes could be problematic. There really is no good solution. R2R is what it is.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
undisputed best formula for most downvotes possible in one post:

stop into a thread with a tank stacked with rocks, sand, clean clear water, most fish acting normally, has had fish for weeks, one has died, tank has never been fallowed or qt, and tell them free ammonia didnt kill that first fish. even seneye owners will downvote, and they can see the real deal.

Last edited:
Back