We need a downvote button....

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been seeing a lot of bad and plain down WRONG advice. It would be great if we could downvote comments like those. It would make it easier for people asking questions to see what is actually helpful and what is not. Maybe make it so 15 downvotes hides the post unless you click it. Kinda like reddit

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have discussed it before, and the consensus was no. We don't want to become reddit. Instead of downvoting bad advice, give the correct advice, or politely say " x usually doesnt work, instead the OP should try x"

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been seeing a lot of bad and plain down WRONG advice. It would be great if we could downvote comments like those. It would make it easier for people asking questions to see what is actually helpful and what is not. Maybe make it so 15 downvotes hides the post unless you click it. Kinda like reddit

IMO this would not work properly. What you perceive is wrong info is different from what I perceive is wrong info and that is different from what John thinks and so on. This is a public forum so that allows anybody to post what they feel would help answer the question based on their knowledge. That is why multiple people can comment and quote others in agreeance and like their post and also they can refute others on why they may disagree with them. Thats why Likes are important as they are a way for people to look at advice others may agree with more. I would prefer to keep it how it is:)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What forum are you speaking of specifically? We have tested an upvote type system for the best answers.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the hiding posts part but agree with the rest. But I do see where Crabs and NS Mike D are coming from.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my bottom line, and then I'll explain.....I think this is better handled by respectfully posting your opinion, with facts or explanations backing it up.

Now here's my reasoning....yes, there are some factual errors made, but so much is opinion. Here's some examples, and I'll purposely make them controversial:

1. Undergravel filters are the only way to set up a saltwater tank.

2. LED's don't grow corals, metal halide is the only way to go.

3. Quarantining fish is a waste of time.

My preference is to handle these kind of post with other opinions chiming in and hopefully convince that your way is the right way. :cool::cool::cool:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason why downvotes are a bad idea, say you get a member that for whatever reason doesnt like you. They can go through and downvote all your comments. Even if you're giving the best advice in the world, theyll downvote you. Not a very positive thing for R2R in my opinion

Travis Alderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have discussed it before, and the consensus was no. We don't want to become reddit. Instead of downvoting bad advice, give the correct advice, or politely say " x usually doesnt work, instead the OP should try x"
My problem is, I believe everything I read on the internet.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure there are some folks on here that would get downvoted no matter what they said and that wouldn’t be very fair or fun.

Umm excuse me, I would like to downvote this post. Kay thanks! ;Joyful

You mean melafix isn't a reef safe cure for ich and velvet?

Bananas are tho, for sure.

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I couldn't help it lol.
1585163755708.png

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO this would not work properly. What you perceive is wrong info is different from what I perceive is wrong info and that is different from what John thinks and so on. This is a public forum so that allows anybody to post what they feel would help answer the question based on their knowledge. That is why multiple people can comment and quote others in agreeance and like their post and also they can refute others on why they may disagree with them. Thats why Likes are important as they are a way for people to look at advice others may agree with more. I would prefer to keep it how it is:)
I see where you are coming from with perception, but if I, you and 20 other people perceive it as wrong, then it more than likely is.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another reason why downvotes are a bad idea, say you get a member that for whatever reason doesnt like you. They can go through and downvote all your comments. Even if you're giving the best advice in the world, theyll downvote you. Not a very positive thing for R2R in my opinion
Yea but in the system I suggested, one downvote means nothing serious unless 15 other people downvote as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back