Weather Stripping on Canopy?

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would weather stripping near the tank pose any issues w/ water?

or

I've built a canopy for my RSR 625XL. My intent was for it to be a hanging canopy, suspended a couple inches over the main tank. It's built the same dimensions as the tank. I'm considering adding foam stripping to the bottom edges of the canopy, so it could rest directly on the glass of the tank. What issues might that cause?

OP
OP
cloggins

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, here's the canopy. I'm thinking the weather stripping would go on the bottom edge of the canopy. It would act as a pad between the wood, and tank.

The canopy still needs to be painted. I'm waiting for warm weather.

Canopy.jpg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought for consideration, the weather stripping is a porous foam material which may end up soaking up water and/or salt creep. Have you thought of using small solid rubber feet?

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice canopy build. It is going to look sharp.
I would be concerned about putting the weight of that canopy on a rimless tank. Recommend checking with the manufacturer. If it it isn’t perfectly level you could be creating pressure point. If you are resting it on the tank, does this mean it won’t be hanging? If it is still hanging, why does it need to rest and add these concerns? I ask because if it is just resting the act of lifting it off or setting it on it going to putting variable stress points on the edge of your glass.

If you’ve already considered all of that.... I think the same foam padding used under aquariums would be good in this situation. The rubber feet is a great idea as well as long as there are a bunch of them.

OP
OP
cloggins

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice canopy build. It is going to look sharp.
I would be concerned about putting the weight of that canopy on a rimless tank. Recommend checking with the manufacturer. If it it isn’t perfectly level you could be creating pressure point. If you are resting it on the tank, does this mean it won’t be hanging? If it is still hanging, why does it need to rest and add these concerns? I ask because if it is just resting the act of lifting it off or setting it on it going to putting variable stress points on the edge of your glass.

If you’ve already considered all of that.... I think the same foam padding used under aquariums would be good in this situation. The rubber feet is a great idea as well as long as there are a bunch of them.
The original plan was to hang the canopy. Then, I got to thinking about maybe just resting it on the tank. I thought it might look cool to continue the look up from the cabinet. Thinking through the problem, I'll just hang it. Sounds like it'll be easier in the long run.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will like the flexibility of moving the lights by hanging it. Also you could achieve the same look you were going for by hanging it so it only is ~1/4 above the tank. Even could add some trim that would hide that gap.

OP
OP
cloggins

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought resting it on the tank would let me move the mesh top. With a suspended canopy, The mesh top will have to stay. (My wife's damsel likes to jump.)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back