weening baby

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I was looking for some advise (i have done some reading) but was hoping for hands on experineced advice. My little male had suprise babies. When I found them there was five two dead (they had everything bad done to them they were stuck to the filter sock i had no idea till i was doing cleaning) one died two days later and one died ten days later. My brave strong little one just turned four weeks old today. Its still so small. I work full time so as not able to fed him five times a day so i just left food for him twenty four seven (not ideal i know) I am absoultly trified to wean as i am scared he wont make what have you found to be the best age and prosses. Thank you for your time

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved to adult live artemia and then tried frozen. When introducing a new food I would mix the new food with whatever they were eating prior. That way they might accidently snick the new while eating the old and decide its not so bad. I would continue to feed the former food for a while until they are taking the new very well. I also introduced the new at their 1st feeding of the day when they are really hungry.

After they were eating frozen artemia I tried shaved or chopped mysis.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved to adult live artemia and then tried frozen. When introducing a new food I would mix the new food with whatever they were eating prior. That way they might accidently snick the new while eating the old and decide its not so bad. I would continue to feed the former food for a while until they are taking the new very well. I also introduced the new at their 1st feeding of the day when they are really hungry.

After they were eating frozen artemia I tried shaved or chopped mysis.
ok thank you at what age did you start and how big were the babyies i am worried about his small size thanks

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you at what age did you start and how big were the babyies i am worried about his small size thanks
It was 4 years ago so I can not remember for sure. I know that more experienced folks started their fry on mysis sooner than me. Check my profile and look for threads on my seahorse tank in November -December 2014. That will probably have a day by progress of my baby seahorse raising experience.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 4 years ago so I can not remember for sure. I know that more experienced folks started their fry on mysis sooner than me. Check my profile and look for threads on my seahorse tank in November -December 2014. That will probably have a day by progress of my baby seahorse raising experience.
I found it. The thread is Dawn's 30 gallon XH seahorse tank. It's on the 2nd page of my 3 pages of started threads. The fry arrive around page 10 or 11 in Dawn's 30 gallon XH seahorse tank. I hope my experience helps you. Chances are your male and female will mate again and you will have more opportunity to raise more fry.

OP
OP
M

mere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it. The thread is Dawn's 30 gallon XH seahorse tank. It's on the 2nd page of my 3 pages of started threads. The fry arrive around page 10 or 11 in Dawn's 30 gallon XH seahorse tank. I hope my experience helps you. Chances are your male and female will mate again and you will have more opportunity to raise more fry.
Thank you so much I will read all of that your advise is appreciated. And is pregnent again its so ammazing and nerve racking i just want to do my best by all of them thank you again so much

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back