Weird Algae Bowls… ID needed please!

katforscience

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2023
Messages
40
Reaction score
21
Location
southwest
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few weeks I’ve noticed these weird little green algae bowls growing on my rockwork… not sure if these are micro or macro so I apologize if I’m in the wrong spot. I can’t find anything resembling this anywhere but it’s hard to search when you don’t know what you are searching for… does anyone have any idea what the heck this algae is? Thanks for the help!

D270E39E-F4AB-41ED-B70A-FAC13A8C01A3.jpeg 3788A42E-8A6A-4805-95C7-5927822EAEEF.jpeg
 
That's a macroalgae; closer/clearer pics could help with an ID here, but - since it looks translucent - early growth of an Ulva species like Ulva lactuca or Ulva expansa would be my guess.

If it is an Ulva species, those are generally considered good (they're great food macroalgae).
 
That's a macroalgae; closer/clearer pics could help with an ID here, but - since it looks translucent - early growth of an Ulva species like Ulva lactuca or Ulva expansa would be my guess.

If it is an Ulva species, those are generally considered good (they're great food macroalgae).
Cool ❤️ thanks so much
 
side note:
some tangs. make short work of that atuff but I’ve had others. not touch it
I wish I could have tangs… sadly my system is only 40g ): maybe one day when I upgrade ❤️ good to know though for when I do!!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new