Weird Behavior Clown Fish

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are very fresh, 3 days in the tank after the tank was cycled for about a month. Before getting the fish in I got readings of slightly high Nitrate but I took care of it.
Currently, the fish are not together and one is "sleeping" in a small cafe on the back of my rock. Is this normal behavior? Should I be concerned about maybe a water perma problem? Please let me know.

I checked and the fish who is hiding will come out and "wake up" when I hold food by its will tweezers so it is actively feeding. The other fish is just up on the surface swimming against the current.

image0 (3).jpg
image0 (2).jpg

image0 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about their behavior especially since they're very new to their setting. As long as they're both eating, swimming, and breathing fine (you don't notice heavy breathing) just check your water parameters. You might notice them repeatedly swimming up and down the sides/corners of your tank as they establish their territory/explore.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about their behavior especially since they're very new to their setting. As long as they're both eating, swimming, and breathing fine (you don't notice heavy breathing) just check your water parameters. You might notice them repeatedly swimming up and down the sides/corners of your tank as they establish their territory/explore.
Swimming as in it CAN swim or swim as in it is actively swimming? Bc it has been in the cave for almost the entire day. It does start swimming as normal when I feed it.

annie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are very fresh, 3 days in the tank after the tank was cycled for about a month. Before getting the fish in I got readings of slightly high Nitrate but I took care of it.
Currently, the fish are not together and one is "sleeping" in a small cafe on the back of my rock. Is this normal behavior? Should I be concerned about maybe a water perma problem? Please let me know.

I checked and the fish who is hiding will come out and "wake up" when I hold food by its will tweezers so it is actively feeding. The other fish is just up on the surface swimming against the current.

image0 (3).jpg
image0 (2).jpg

image0 (2).jpg
I to am a newbie and added 2 clowns they didn’t feed for a few days and swam at the top hiding for over 3 weeks. I added 2 fire fish week later and they were the same always hiding thought I’d never see a fish swimming. This weekend added 3 chromis and it’s like a different tank. All fish swimming around happy all over tank none hiding. Just think they need to settle in to feel safe. I’m no expert but the chromis have made the tank come alive. Hope that helps to know my clowns were the same.

Mr. Experience

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming as in it CAN swim or swim as in it is actively swimming? Bc it has been in the cave for almost the entire day. It does start swimming as normal when I feed it.
Swimming as in it CAN swim. The fact that it is eating is a good sign. I would just give it some time.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to am a newbie and added 2 clowns they didn’t feed for a few days and swam at the top hiding for over 3 weeks. I added 2 fire fish week later and they were the same always hiding thought I’d never see a fish swimming. This weekend added 3 chromis and it’s like a different tank. All fish swimming around happy all over tank none hiding. Just think they need to settle in to feel safe. I’m no expert but the chromis have made the tank come alive. Hope that helps to know my clowns were the same.
Thanks for the kind words, at the point I am at am just going to let them sit and feed them.

OP
OP
Eyezik

Eyezik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming as in it CAN swim. The fact that it is eating is a good sign. I would just give it some time.
So it's been about 5 days just want to check back in with you. What I am assuming is the male is still laying down pretty often and hiding. The 2 are now together a lot and don't separate too often, both aggressively eating when I feed them with tweezers. Still, though, the male will keep laying on its side. At this point, It has gotten a lot better and seems to be on the up and up. If this seems normal to you please let me know just want to make sure he makes it.

clown.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back